Coral Vue Hydros

Dawn's pony garden.

vlangel

11 hours ago, Han Solo said:

That seems like a long lifetime! Good job. Did you breed her yourself? I still have 2 females going strong that I bred from fry about 3 years ago. Unfortunately I have to give them up to a good home soon because I am moving out of my home town of Memphis across the country for a new job.  

If you live in Pittsburgh there is guaranteed to be a some group on Facebook that is for saltwater/reef tanks. That's the best place to list livestock to sell locally. Even if you don't have a facebook, you should create an account just for that. You can make sure they go to a good home. Zoos and LFS will rarely take animals from unknown sources. (for good reason) I've even tried before. 

Thanks Hans.  Today I actually start a new job at a lfs here in the Pittsburgh area and maybe I will meet someone through that too.

• Like 3
On 2/24/2020 at 8:56 AM, Pjanssen said:

So sorry Dawn. I know you will miss her terribly. I hope Samson will be happy wherever you re-home him.

Thanks Penny, yes I do miss her.  I think I have a home for Samson too.  Its kind of weird as I enter the end of an era.  Everyone everywhere thinks of me with seahorses.

On 2/24/2020 at 10:32 AM, Snow_Phoenix said:

Very sorry for your loss, Dawn. 😞 

Thanks Snow.

• Like 2
On 2/23/2020 at 5:31 PM, vlangel said:

Well folks, I have some sad news...Eve my matriarch passed today.  She lived out a long Seahorse life at about 6 and a half.  She was the female of my first pair of ponys and survived a lot of my noobie mistakes.  Now I only have Samson and feel so bad that he is alone.  I am checking my local forums to see if anyone else keeps ponys.  I would rehome him for free so he could enjoy being with other seahorses since they are very social creatures.  My other option is to see if our zoo will take him.  I know they have erectus seahorses so he would fit in well.  Anyway, just wanted to let you all know.

Rest in Peace Eve

you will be missed.

• Like 2
On 2/26/2020 at 10:52 AM, Pjanssen said:

are you done with ponies now? 

On 2/26/2020 at 10:52 AM, Pjanssen said:

are you done with ponies now? 

Yes Penny I am.  I still love them but my hubby and I plan to do more travelling and that is not easy with ponies.  I have plans to re-home Samson where he will be with other seahorses. 

I am in the midst of reworking the 56 gallon reef and plan to attach it to the basement sump that I built for the Seahorse tank.  I may even use the 30 gallon Seahorse tank as a seagrass fuge that will also be in the basement and gravity flow into the sump.  It should be fun trying my hand at seagrasses.  The upgrades will double the water volume in the 56 gallon reef plus the ease of WCs should make it feasible for me to add more fish to the display.

23 hours ago, JBM said:

Rest in Peace Eve

you will be missed.

I do miss her, she was a great pet!

• Like 4

Hi Dawn!  I am so sorry to come back to this news, but she lived a good long life and I know you devoted so much energy to taking care of her and she was well cared for!  I always get upset when I lose a fish, but for some reason seahorses are just that much harder.  I am excited to see where you take things next!  And I definitely agree that there is an advantage to having a simpler tank to take the stress out of travelling.

• Like 2

i was just catching up on your thread and I am so sorry to hear about the Seahorses. 😞

i hope that you know that you were a great "mom" to them and you taught countless members about their life and care.

I look forward to following your new journal. 😊

• Like 1
On 2/27/2020 at 8:52 PM, Nano sapiens said:

Sorry to hear about the Seahorses, but looking forward to the new project.

Thanks Nano sapiens.  It's kind of sad to say good bye to Eve but she lived out a good life.

• Like 1
On 2/27/2020 at 11:50 PM, Felicia said:

Hi Dawn!  I am so sorry to come back to this news, but she lived a good long life and I know you devoted so much energy to taking care of her and she was well cared for!  I always get upset when I lose a fish, but for some reason seahorses are just that much harder.  I am excited to see where you take things next!  And I definitely agree that there is an advantage to having a simpler tank to take the stress out of travelling.

Yes, I know that you know how hard it is to lose a seahorse.  There really is something very special about them and Eve was unique even among all my ponies.  I am comforted knowing that she lived a good long life however.

I am ready for this next phase though.  As personable as seahorses are, having to keep a barren spar looking tank was always frustrating to me.  I am ready to have lots of active fish and an aesthetically pleasing tank to look at.  I have been experimenting with scapes that are multi-level.  I like having the denitrification of some DSB, plus the dimension of differing heights.  It requires a fair amount of rock which is great for the bio-filter without giving the tank the ominous rock wall look.  This tank was very stable as an AIO so should be that much more with 50 gallons more of water plus sand and rock.

It's good to see you back.  Do you have a build in the works?

• Like 2
3 hours ago, WV Reefer said:

i was just catching up on your thread and I am so sorry to hear about the Seahorses. 😞

i hope that you know that you were a great "mom" to them and you taught countless members about their life and care.

I look forward to following your new journal. 😊

Thanks WV!  Yes it's always sad to say good bye to beloved pets.  I feel glad to have had her so long, especially since I made multiple noobie mistakes with her.  She was one tough pony!  

Hopefully my new adventure will be an exciting new chapter in my reefing experience.

• Like 1
On 2/23/2020 at 7:51 PM, SeaFurn said:

Very very sorry for your loss, Dawn. 😢

Thanks Sea Furn.  She was a great pet and I am gonna miss her.