Cultivated Reef

Dawn's pony garden.

vlangel

I have noticed that Eve seems to be showing her age.  She used to be quite the hunter of ghost shrimp and she is not fast enough to catch ghost shrimp anymore.  In fact she even snicks and misses the frozen shrimp at times.  She still has a good appetite and she looks perky.  Still its sad to see her declining somewhat.

• Sad 7
8 hours ago, vlangel said:

Jr chillin' in her little jar.

Jr is chillin' in her jar.  She often has a dark head and tail while her body is lighter rose color with black and silver striping.

She looks gorgeous! Can I ask a question? What is the usual average lifespan for a pony this size in captivity? The one thing I realize about smaller animals - let's say, 'nanofish' in general is that they tend to not last long as compared to a larger fish species. Just wondering if the same principle applied to ponies. 

• Like 4
5 hours ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

She looks gorgeous! Can I ask a question? What is the usual average lifespan for a pony this size in captivity? The one thing I realize about smaller animals - let's say, 'nanofish' in general is that they tend to not last long as compared to a larger fish species. Just wondering if the same principle applied to ponies. 

I am not sure but I think I remember reading that they live about 2 years, which is less than the 5-7 years that the greater seahorse species live.  Since Jr is wild caught, I have no idea what her age is now.

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, vlangel said:

I am not sure but I think I remember reading that they live about 2 years, which is less than the 5-7 years that the greater seahorse species live.  Since Jr is wild caught, I have no idea what her age is now.

Noted. Thanks for the answer, Dawn! 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Keeping up with the seahorses is always tough over the holidays.  Cooking, meal preparation, and clean up is a pretty consuming task with our gang.  Consequentially the ponies did not always get as much attention.  Once or twice they were only fed once a day.  That is not usually a big deal however as long as it is not happening all the time.  I did keep up with their water changes.

Little Jr was even more challenging than the big seahorses.  Her hatcheries need to be bleached before re-setting up.  I managed to always have food for her but I did not always remember to have it cleaned or enriched.  She seems ok but I am glad to be getting into my regular routine as I do not like neglecting some of these chores since seahorses are more easily impacted by such things.

Tomorrow we are having friends come over for pizza and I will spend this evening making both tanks shine!

• Like 4

I am amazed at how much live artemia Jr is able to consume.  It makes me relieved that I only have 1 dwarf seahorse.  I would never want a small herd because they are very prolific and keeping up with a small herd could be very very tough.

• Like 2
Christopher Marks

Jr is adorable Dawn! 😍

I was catching up on your journal and reading about your recent travels. I wonder if something like @pj86's PJReefs Magnetic Artemia feeder could help streamline or simplify feeding JR for your future tank babysitters? https://www.pjreefs.com/products/pj-reefs-magnetic-feeder

It seems like such a neat solution for feeding dwarf seahorses, but you'll know more about the subject than me!

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Christopher Marks said:

Jr is adorable Dawn! 😍

I was catching up on your journal and reading about your recent travels. I wonder if something like @pj86's PJReefs Magnetic Artemia feeder could help streamline or simplify feeding JR for your future tank babysitters? https://www.pjreefs.com/products/pj-reefs-magnetic-feeder

It seems like such a neat solution for feeding dwarf seahorses, but you'll know more about the subject than me!

Thanks Christopher.  Actually I looked into PJReefs Magnetic artemia feeder right away when I got Jr but there are none available.  I probably should keep checking back or leave an email.  It does seem like a neat solution but it does not address enriching the artemia which is important.  Although it is probably ok not to enrich for a short time.

• Like 1
35 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

She is really cute and so lucky to have come to your house of all houses. 

She is cute and I am glad that she came to my house.

• Like 1

Happy 2019!  I broke one of the legs from my Coralife T5 fixture over this tank.  Right now I have a spare LED fixture over the tank.  I know the leg supports can be ordered so I guess that is what I need to do.

The ponies are doing well.  I don't plan to change anything with their tank or maintenance this year.  

• Like 2

Jr is getting a new home!  My husband and I are travelling to Greece in March and I could not come up with anyone who could keep and care for Jr for as long as we will be away. 

I did however find someone who commercially raises copepods that wants Jr. Feeding should not be a problem for them.  I will have to ship her but I am told that dwarf seahorses ship very well and I am overnighting her.  I really want this to go well for Jr.

• Like 7

Happy New Year, Dawn! I love seeing Jr in her vase but I'm glad you found a forever home for her. How exciting to be going to Greece!

I love the new scapes, the tanks looksabsolutely impeccable 🙂

• Like 2
On 1/5/2019 at 11:58 AM, deetu said:

Awww, going to miss seeing the updates about her but glad she will be happy.

Have fun in Greece!

Thanks, I am going to miss the little gal too but her maintenance plus my big ponies is starting to wear on me.  I feel good about getting her a good home.

• Like 4

Well Jr is on her way.  It was much more costly to overnight her than I expected.  I chose 2 day but she is well packaged (lots air and water) and she was well fed before I shipped her.  I will let you all know how it all turns out.

• Like 7
Snow_Phoenix
4 hours ago, vlangel said:

Well Jr is on her way.  It was much more costly to overnight her than I expected.  I chose 2 day but she is well packaged (lots air and water) and she was well fed before I shipped her.  I will let you all know how it all turns out.

Best of luck to Junior!

• Like 1

Now that Jr is headed to a new home, I can spend the energy and time (2 precious commodities in my life) I was expending on Jr and apply it to my own tanks!  I have spent the morning doing a deep clean on the seahorse tank, multiple WCs to get water quality optimal and reorganizing my fish area.  It should make maintenance easier and who doesn't prefer that?

• Like 6

I heard from Jr's new owner:

"She made it fine and is busy gobbling up BBS and copepods!!! Thanks again! do i owe you anything?"

I was so relieved to read that, whew!  I spend quite a bit on the shipping and having never shipped a live animal before, I was nervous.  I told her new owner that they owed nothing except to take good care of her.  

• Like 11
20 minutes ago, vlangel said:

I heard from Jr's new owner:

"She made it fine and is busy gobbling up BBS and copepods!!! Thanks again! do i owe you anything?"

I was so relieved to read that, whew!  I spend quite a bit on the shipping and having never shipped a live animal before, I was nervous.  I told her new owner that they owed nothing except to take good care of her.  

I'm so glad Jr. made it safely!  Here's hoping she lives a long horsey life!

• Like 3

The ponies are doing well.  Everything with their tank is going smoothly too.  Now that I am broadcast feeding it is easier to feed them 3Xs a day and they seem to like that.  With the turnover and flow in their tank I am starting to feel more comfortable with the broadcast feeding method.  I always trained the ponies to use a feeding bowl but it takes them much longer to eat that way with them taking turns reaching down for the food.  With broadcasting its a free-for-all while the pump is in feed mode.  Then when it turns back on the flow lifts any mysis off the floor to be filtered out.

• Like 4