Top Shelf Aquatics

1 hour ago, TheKleinReef said:

Trident calcium numbers are going crazy right now. Ugh. 

Is it the trident thats acting all wonky? Do you have other test kits you can use to cross reference before you dose?

Out of curiosity- how often do you need to calibrate that thing? 

1 minute ago, Elizabeth94 said:

Is it the trident thats acting all wonky? Do you have other test kits you can use to cross reference before you dose?

Out of curiosity- how often do you need to calibrate that thing? 

my red sea kits are expired, but i do have a hannah for alk.

It's usually really good. I only ever calibrate it when I change all 3 reagents which is about 1.5 months.

my alk readings have been fine since the last change but calcium and mag are going crazy.

Wonder if you could have gotten some bad regent or something. Thats tough- do you trust it and dose, or wait it out and get some other kits to test and be sure. 

Guess thats how it is no matter what you use to test. We are trusting the device/kit with the life of our livestock.

3 minutes ago, Elizabeth94 said:

Wonder if you could have gotten some bad regent or something. Thats tough- do you trust it and dose, or wait it out and get some other kits to test and be sure. 

Guess thats how it is no matter what you use to test. We are trusting the device/kit with the life of our livestock.

normally when something like this happens, it's something with the tubing like a pinch or clog. I need take a closer look today.

It's been pretty trust worthy so far, I've had it for a year and it's only gone wonky twice, once with a clogged waste line and then this time.

I'll probably never let it control the dosing, for exactly this reason. I did just check with the hanna and it was 8.7 which was .25 higher than the trident. Hanna has always been 0.2 and 0.3 higher than the trident. But then again, it's the Ca number that's wonky rn.

Just now, Elizabeth94 said:

How are the corals looking?

everything looks really good. the only coral I'm semi-worried about is the blue slimer. It came in really bleached. I'm getting good growth on pretty much everything.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, TheKleinReef said:

holy moly cherry corals dropped a big list of new corals for sale and i want them. I just have no space to put any of them. I really need to figure out how to make more space for coralz

Please save some for me. I get paid Friday. Haha. You definitely have no room left anyways 😉

Stinks about the trident. Technology is great until it doesn’t work. Then its a headache lol. 

• Like 1

Ugh. I just want to say I checked cherry corals and they have some darn good pieces for sale. I need more money! Still need test kits and at least one more powerhead for now. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Elizabeth94 said:

Please save some for me. I get paid Friday. Haha. You definitely have no room left anyways 😉

Stinks about the trident. Technology is great until it doesn’t work. Then its a headache lol. 

56 minutes ago, Elizabeth94 said:

Ugh. I just want to say I checked cherry corals and they have some darn good pieces for sale. I need more money! Still need test kits and at least one more powerhead for now. 

Once mine grow out I’ll frag some of what I got and send it your way. If I have anything you want. There’s a few I want to collect for now then it’s grow out time. 
I might break down my FW tank and set up a frag system too. I like frag tanks. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
2 minutes ago, TheKleinReef said:

Once mine grow out I’ll frag some of what I got and send it your way. If I have anything you want. There’s a few I want to collect for now then it’s grow out time. 
I might break down my FW tank and set up a frag system too. I like frag tanks. 

Do the frag tank!!!!  

trident has been staying relatively consistent, but the numbers are low. I might just recalibrate.

I'm also debating on switching from LED to T5, but I don't want to deal with selling the radions.

Why not do a hybrid? Best of both worlds.

• Agree 1
2 hours ago, Elizabeth94 said:

Why not do a hybrid? Best of both worlds.

I don’t really see the appeal of a hybrid. T5 will grow and color coral as good as a hybrid. Led just gives an easier ramp and the shimmer which I’m meh about. 

Trident customer support is not helpful right now.

Basically my issue is my trident is outside the error of hanna. Whenever i switch reagents I test the alk with hanna. when the calibration of the trident goes through I can compare the hanna number to the first test following the calibration. For the last 8 months the hanna has been within 0.2dkh, but now it's nearly 0.75-1.0 off.

customer support said:

1.0 is within trident error, so make a mental note that 7.8=8.5 and track my alk consumption like that

i'm like..... no i want it to go back to how it was. I'm also burning through my calibration fluids.

ugh

customer support said:

1.0 is within trident error, so make a mental note that 7.8=8.5 and track my alk consumption like that

I have heard of this response before on other forums with this company and others. They will default to say that stability is really the goal so just do the math and keep it stable that way. 

Good thing you aren’t relying on it to dose. As much as I love the idea of something testing and taking care of alk for me theres just too much risk of equipment failure. I rather put in the work to test and have a regular doser putting in exactly what I want. 

Sorry you are dealing with this, so annoying and aggravating when stuff isn’t working 100%. 

19 minutes ago, Elizabeth94 said:

I have heard of this response before on other forums with this company and others. They will default to say that stability is really the goal so just do the math and keep it stable that way. 

Good thing you aren’t relying on it to dose. As much as I love the idea of something testing and taking care of alk for me theres just too much risk of equipment failure. I rather put in the work to test and have a regular doser putting in exactly what I want. 

Sorry you are dealing with this, so annoying and aggravating when stuff isn’t working 100%. 

I mean it set a standard of being 0.2 off, that's what i expect. I don't want to be changing the standard every calibration.

I might calibrate the trident from tank water using salifert/hanna instead of the supplied solution.

like test all 3 right before i calibrate, then just use tank water for the calibration.

• Like 1

i dk if my corals are bleaching around the base and tips or are just growing that fast. the color looks good on all of them and PE happens every night. might need to bust out the macro lens to see if it's growth or bleaching.

• TheKleinReef changed the title to Roger's SPS 75G - NEW FTS PG 36