Pod Your Reef

TheKleinReef

for fun, i dosed 10mL of the TM trace elements and poof go the LPS, maybe I need to start paying more attention to that.

Should get an ICP test soon too.

I'll try and get a pic today

Just now, TheKleinReef said:

hahah yes!

they are all very floofy

Beauty!

Keep us updated.

I started feeding my lords, acans and favia Reef Roids but in a very thick paste and I've seen them puff up quite a bit too. Always looking for new ideas. I've heard good things about TM Trace.

• Like 1
TheKleinReef
9 minutes ago, Lebowski_ said:

Beauty!

Keep us updated.

I started feeding my lords, acans and favia Reef Roids but in a very thick paste and I've seen them puff up quite a bit too. Always looking for new ideas. I've heard good things about TM Trace.

I can never get much of a feeding response out of corals, idk why. when i dowse them in reef roids or reef chili they look about the same.  and i've tried it all for SPS, but no matter what i cannot get polyp extension

mitten_reef
12 minutes ago, Lebowski_ said:

Beauty!

Keep us updated.

Lords are fun to feed.  any of the puffy LPS are really fun to watch feeding.  

• Like 1
TheKleinReef
13 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

Lords are fun to feed.  any of the puffy LPS are really fun to watch feeding.  

I had a brain and no matter what i did i could not get it to have a feeding response. I'm convinced the newer strains are corals to rent, kinda like gonis

TheKleinReef

any reason why dumping 50mL of (undiluted) ATI elements magnesium would do nothing to my mag?

10mL of the alk boosts alk like 1.0dk.

50mL seems like quite a lot to do absolutely nothing. I even tested before and after with red sea kits. they were pretty similar too.

mitten_reef
1 hour ago, TheKleinReef said:

any reason why dumping 50mL of (undiluted) ATI elements magnesium would do nothing to my mag?

10mL of the alk boosts alk like 1.0dk.

50mL seems like quite a lot to do absolutely nothing. I even tested before and after with red sea kits. they were pretty similar too.

35 minutes ago, TheKleinReef said:

9C25F9F2-7220-4922-8938-ED6F96113E9F.thumb.png.9f56b87336e66a8799f97f7f5d04e3b2.png

omg. Is that alk consumption???????

it’s been at 8.7-8.9 for like 2 months with no dosing 

Sooo, question?

Was the msg so low? It got sucked up when alk is being utilized?  

Pretty sure Mag is necessary for Alk absorption/utilization 

i thought the ATI pro 2-part is supposed to be balanced, no need for additional dosing of Mag…. while Red Sea essentially is a 3-part dosing, alk/ca/mg. 

TheKleinReef
1 hour ago, mitten_reef said:

Sooo, question?

Was the msg so low? It got sucked up when alk is being utilized?  

Pretty sure Mag is necessary for Alk absorption/utilization 

i thought the ATI pro 2-part is supposed to be balanced, no need for additional dosing of Mag…. while Red Sea essentially is a 3-part dosing, alk/ca/mg. 

the ati pro has a dedicated magnesium bottle. so I'm not sure how its all balanced between bottles. Looking at the trend, mag didn't really budge in the same time frame that the alk dropped it actually went up 20ppm

image.thumb.png.674b1b40129f4444ebc5aecd2a04edb9.png

mitten_reef
45 minutes ago, TheKleinReef said:

the ati pro has a dedicated magnesium bottle. so I'm not sure how its all balanced between bottles. Looking at the trend, mag didn't really budge in the same time frame that the alk dropped it actually went up 20ppm

image.thumb.png.674b1b40129f4444ebc5aecd2a04edb9.png

you may have been using the "original" ATI dosing supplements, there were gazillions trace bottles and individual components to tweak per ATI ICP specific results.  

Later they decided to just packaged all components and make simple 2-part solutions (which is the ones I was referring to):

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/ati-essentials-pro-complete-reef-supplement-set-ati.html

TheKleinReef
3 hours ago, mitten_reef said:

you may have been using the "original" ATI dosing supplements, there were gazillions trace bottles and individual components to tweak per ATI ICP specific results.  

Later they decided to just packaged all components and make simple 2-part solutions (which is the ones I was referring to):

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/ati-essentials-pro-complete-reef-supplement-set-ati.html

yeap. i have those two. but i haven't dose either of them in months.

mag is just lower than i'd like, so i wanna boost it. ATI elements pro also has a dedicated mag solution, which i also have.

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/ati-elements-1l-magnesium-ati.html?queryID=30e9bf451aeacfb62cd6ab33b4b20f3a&objectID=11871&indexName=brs_prod_m2_default_products

• Like 1
On 8/8/2023 at 3:57 PM, TheKleinReef said:

I can never get much of a feeding response out of corals, idk why. when i dowse them in reef roids or reef chili they look about the same.  and i've tried it all for SPS, but no matter what i cannot get polyp extension

RS Reef Energy/Oysterfeast works pretty good for me, almost immediate feeding response from SPS/LPS. 

When you mentioned TM trace elements, are you referring to the K+/A- stuff?  I've had a hunch my trace elements are out of whack..

• Like 1
TheKleinReef
1 hour ago, ml86743 said:

RS Reef Energy/Oysterfeast works pretty good for me, almost immediate feeding response from SPS/LPS. 

When you mentioned TM trace elements, are you referring to the K+/A- stuff?  I've had a hunch my trace elements are out of whack..

I have the Red Sea AB+ AAs and put 15mL per day and still get nada. 😕

yeah i dosed 10mL of each of those. I used to use AFR which i don't anymore. I kept the bottles of K+ and A+ though.

4 hours ago, TheKleinReef said:

I have the Red Sea AB+ AAs and put 15mL per day and still get nada. 😕

yeah i dosed 10mL of each of those. I used to use AFR which i don't anymore. I kept the bottles of K+ and A+ though.

10-4, appreciate it!

52 minutes ago, TheKleinReef said:

I wonder if it's because my pH is higher, causing more coral growth?

I 100% would think so.  I was suffering from some pretty low pH until a few weeks back, 7.9-7.6.   Went away for a week with nobody in the house except the dogs and our pet sitter and the apex tracked 7.9-8.1 daily.  Came home and my alk moved a whole point lower with the current dosing schedule with noticeable growth on all SPS. 

TheKleinReef
Just now, ml86743 said:

I 100% would think so.  I was suffering from some pretty low pH until a few weeks back, 7.9-7.6.   Went away for a week with nobody in the house except the dogs and our pet sitter and the apex tracked 7.9-8.1 daily.  Came home and my alk moved a whole point lower with the current dosing schedule with noticeable growth on all SPS. 

I need to find a way to keep it at the 8.3 it's at now.

7 minutes ago, TheKleinReef said:

I need to find a way to keep it at the 8.3 it's at now.

Yeah that's ideal.  Our house gets essentially sealed for the summer in FL, add too many mouth breathers= low pH.  The Kalk has helped for the most part, interested to see what happens when the weather starts to cool and windows open up as I didn't have the apex when the tank was set up to track pH.

Oddly enough, since we've been home Its sat at 7.8-8 which I can live with, but I'd like to know why it's no longer taking the huge dips.  Alk consumption is consistent still so frags are growing, having to add more kalk to replace what's being used so maybe that'll help keep the numbers up.

TheKleinReef
4 hours ago, ml86743 said:

Yeah that's ideal.  Our house gets essentially sealed for the summer in FL, add too many mouth breathers= low pH.  The Kalk has helped for the most part, interested to see what happens when the weather starts to cool and windows open up as I didn't have the apex when the tank was set up to track pH.

Oddly enough, since we've been home Its sat at 7.8-8 which I can live with, but I'd like to know why it's no longer taking the huge dips.  Alk consumption is consistent still so frags are growing, having to add more kalk to replace what's being used so maybe that'll help keep the numbers up.

I have a thing of kalk powder but i've never needed to mix any up and use it cause the alk doesn't move

24 minutes ago, TheKleinReef said:

moving question:

should i move one of the mixing tanks and make up 25g of fresh saltwater at the new house?

this would save me from moving 25g of water.

yes, have at least 50-100% of water you need ready.  you may have a lot of water travelling in the buckets with fish.  But essentially, you should consider that the 20% of the bottom height of your tank water is gonna get pitched due to all the gunk stirred up, and possibly your sump water?  

• Like 1
TheKleinReef
5 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

yes, have at least 50-100% of water you need ready.  you may have a lot of water travelling in the buckets with fish.  But essentially, you should consider that the 20% of the bottom height of your tank water is gonna get pitched due to all the gunk stirred up, and possibly your sump water?  

my sump is so dang clean with all the flow i have in there. But i think i'll have some water ready just in case. that is a good idea.

I'll move and patch the rodi holes in the old house today. and get that going.

• Like 1
  • TheKleinReef changed the title to Roger's SPS 75G - NEW FTS PG 36