Pod Your Reef

46 minutes ago, TheKleinReef said:

why my red sps never red. they always kinda drab looking. do they need more light? pls reply sps gurus

Red is really hard cuz it’s not a fluorescence. Also if you’re running the AB+ the blue will drown out the red.  If you can tweak the white ratio up, you may see it better. 
reefbuilder has a very old article on which element is “responsible for each color”, and for red, I’d like to say K potassium.  Look it up

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

Red is really hard cuz it’s not a fluorescence. Also if you’re running the AB+ the blue will drown out the red.  If you can tweak the white ratio up, you may see it better. 
reefbuilder has a very old article on which element is “responsible for each color”, and for red, I’d like to say K potassium.  Look it up

This is a good point that I didn't even think of - I run my tank more white, maybe that's the reasoning for the "popping" reds.  

1 hour ago, Elizabeth94 said:

Curious what sorta stuff came off from the dip. Do you use new plugs too after your dip?  

I don’t no. Purely cause they’re encrusted (normally, cultivated reef drags were fresh cuts) I just dip the plugs too. when I mount them I cut the stem off and mount the little round section to the rock. 

I’ll take a look at the bucket of critters today. It’s still by my sink cause lazy. 

• Like 1
  • TheKleinReef changed the title to Roger's WYO'd 75g (September FTS p29)

Looking pretty good!

Did you ever check out what came off in your dip? Just curious as I am prowling different coral vendors and although I always dip- I am worried about stuff like AEFW. 

• Like 1
47 minutes ago, Elizabeth94 said:

Looking pretty good!

Did you ever check out what came off in your dip? Just curious as I am prowling different coral vendors and although I always dip- I am worried about stuff like AEFW. 

I did take a look. Bunch of little pods. Couldn’t determine if any were red bugs though. 

You’re more likely to run into red bugs than AEFW. Cherry corals and liveaquaria were the cleanest frags I’ve ever dipped.

I’ve ordered from cherry, TSA, WWC, unique, cultivated reef, FOH (do not order from him), and liveaquaria. 

my highest endorsement goes to cherry though. They’ve given me 4 extra frags between all my orders. 

• Like 2
12 hours ago, TheKleinReef said:

I did take a look. Bunch of little pods. Couldn’t determine if any were red bugs though. 

You’re more likely to run into red bugs than AEFW. Cherry corals and liveaquaria were the cleanest frags I’ve ever dipped.

I’ve ordered from cherry, TSA, WWC, unique, cultivated reef, FOH (do not order from him), and liveaquaria. 

my highest endorsement goes to cherry though. They’ve given me 4 extra frags between all my orders. 

Thanks for the info. I remember I ordered a lot from TSA with my last tank and always got healthy corals. I like their shipping rate too. 

I watch FOH on youtube, he was on my list. I may try cherry next then 🙂

8 minutes ago, Elizabeth94 said:

Thanks for the info. I remember I ordered a lot from TSA with my last tank and always got healthy corals. I like their shipping rate too. 

I watch FOH on youtube, he was on my list. I may try cherry next then 🙂

I’m pretty sure FOH is where I got redbugs and flatworms from. And the corals came in with the water being 86 degrees. None of the coral survived but I had to treat my tank with interceptor to get rid of the red bugs. Do not buy his stuff. 

TSA used to be my go to, but the last few orders have had really small frags compared to cherry, unique, and WWC. Unique actually gives monster frags. 

• Wow 1

Wow. Thats awful. Red bugs and flatworms- eek. Appreciate the warning. 

I try to buy locally but a lot of the well known sellers are a two hour drive from me. Its just easier to have corals delivered to your door, even if they are the size of boogers. Lol. 

12 minutes ago, Elizabeth94 said:

Wow. Thats awful. Red bugs and flatworms- eek. Appreciate the warning. 

I try to buy locally but a lot of the well known sellers are a two hour drive from me. Its just easier to have corals delivered to your door, even if they are the size of boogers. Lol. 

I wish I could support local but there’s nothing within 6 hours of me. 😕

• Wow 1
  • TheKleinReef changed the title to Roger's SPS 75G - NEW FTS PG 36