Cultivated Reef

51 minutes ago, TheKleinReef said:

Yeah, I'm not sold on the 100% LED trend, I wish i could slap past me.

🧐😳😱 it's the future.. 

Don't get me wrong I lovely my T5s (and before banks of T8) but life is brighter, more controllable and consistent with L, E and D hanging out.. 🙏😁👀

45 minutes ago, Murphs_Reef said:

🧐😳😱 it's the future.. 

Don't get me wrong I lovely my T5s (and before banks of T8) but life is brighter, more controllable and consistent with L, E and D hanging out.. 🙏😁👀

It may be the future, but I think it's because retailers push it soo much.  IIRC BRS and ecotech are owned by the same company, so why wouldn't they push the LED "future." and the price gouging of LED is embarrassing now.  $900 a light is redic (for a radion, ik there are cheaper lights)

this might just be me but i feel like control is a bit of a moot point with LED. you can control T5 with height and duration. sure dimming is good if you want to pin your light placement and it's pretty but i'd argue it's unnecessary.

end rant. i'm picky and will cling to T5 😄

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

Kinda crazy just how much the hobby has come in just 12 years. This little 10g did really well. I’ll try and dig up some pics from when it was stocked. This picture was about a month or so after set up. Just 2-3 corals and 2 little damsels. 

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, TheKleinReef said:

first water change in 2 months, things always look better after, i need to get back in the routine

I agree. Everything puffs up after, tank looks healthier in general. 

However I did one today and bumped my torch coral with the python hose end. Ugh!

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Elizabeth94 said:

I agree. Everything puffs up after, tank looks healthier in general. 

However I did one today and bumped my torch coral with the python hose end. Ugh!

i accidentally sucked up 90% of a frogspawn doing that. not a fun time

• Sad 1
On 10/10/2023 at 1:59 PM, TheKleinReef said:

Once my friend sets up his tank, he's gonna buy my lights and I'm going T5 again. I love T5

Make a nanobox/t5 hybrid. Best of both worlds. I know someone who is making new arrays......

• Haha 1
17 hours ago, braaap said:

Make a nanobox/t5 hybrid. Best of both worlds. I know someone who is making new arrays......

i lol'd at the price when i wanted one for my 65. 

if i do hybrid set up, i'd go 4x36w T5 and 2 xr15s. it was cheaper than the quote nanobox gave me back in the day. 

5 hours ago, TheKleinReef said:

if i do hybrid set up, i'd go 4x36w T5 and 2 xr15s. it was cheaper than the quote nanobox gave me back in the day. 

Ya. Dave’s pricing was absurd. He charged me $500 for my 4 array 36” retro. 

I’m making new replacement arrays. And while they aren’t free I’m not making money on them. They are going to be somewhere around $50 an array. You can make the entire retro for about $250. 

769BCC05-983A-4593-BDA5-24E14A32F3AE.jpeg

• Like 1
16 hours ago, TheKleinReef said:

to be fair, when dave was selling hybrid, there weren't any plug & play hybrid kit available.  you were buying an ATI fixture (which is ridiculously expensive), have it fully dismantled (voided warranty), and then added nanobox kit to it.  so you were essentially buying two really expensive fixtures at one time, lol.  no wonder the sticker shock. 

the only comparison back then would have been the ATI powermodule, which is still super expensive now, despite its inferior led clusters than any of the hybrid you can build nowadays.  

• Like 2
8 hours ago, mitten_reef said:

to be fair, when dave was selling hybrid, there weren't any plug & play hybrid kit available.  you were buying an ATI fixture (which is ridiculously expensive), have it fully dismantled (voided warranty), and then added nanobox kit to it.  so you were essentially buying two really expensive fixtures at one time, lol.  no wonder the sticker shock. 

the only comparison back then would have been the ATI powermodule, which is still super expensive now, despite its inferior led clusters than any of the hybrid you can build nowadays.  

ik ik ik 

but that's why i lol'd and said nope

• Like 1
11 hours ago, mitten_reef said:

3 hours ago, TheKleinReef said:

ik ik ik 

but that's why i lol'd and said nope

Yes and no. I had my own fixture already and he charged me $500 for 4 arrays, 2 heatsinks, a controller and driver board. He did solder everything up but I know that only takes about 30-45 minutes now. I had to tear down and install. At his volume his parts were cheap. My problem is I'm buying 20 of each LED and they are still $3 each.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
  • TheKleinReef changed the title to Roger's SPS 75G - NEW FTS PG 36