inTank Media Baskets

Deeper Well - An Acquasole 60

jedimasterben

jedimasterben
1 hour ago, Christopher Marks said:

Exactly how people act around DSLRs too :lol: Have you tried setting a custom white balance on your camera, or are you shooting RAW files?

This tank is really looking great, I love how balanced the aquascape is. Plus all these amazing fish... wow.

:lol:

I only shoot in RAW, this camera can hold something like 11 or 12 of them as a burst, which is great when trying to catch something like the clownfish that DOESN'T EVER STOP MOVING lol. I am not liking the tank pics I've been taking, though. I need to get a better lens, I've only got the kit lens, EF-S 24mm, and EF-S 40mm. I did just buy a Tamron 28-75mm f2.8, though, it should be here next week :D

And thank you! This has been my favorite tank so far. I do get the itch to do something different, but I like this one too much to give it up. Every time I look at the scape with a critical eye, I don't find anything that I could really even change, I still like pretty much all of the corals I've got, and I don't really have more I want to add. Fish selection is always my favorite, I love being able to get species that are less common, or don't always fit into a reef like others. I was actually thinking of at least one (or a pair) of orange spotted filefish since I don't really have anything they'd want to eat, either, but I'm not sure if I feed often enough consistently enough to keep them. I feed quite a bit, but some days I don't get home until nearly 9PM, so can really only get a single feeding in without signficant equipment. Maybe, though. :)

• Like 5
On 2/25/2017 at 7:28 PM, jedimasterben said:

:lol:

I only shoot in RAW, this camera can hold something like 11 or 12 of them as a burst, which is great when trying to catch something like the clownfish that DOESN'T EVER STOP MOVING lol. I am not liking the tank pics I've been taking, though. I need to get a better lens, I've only got the kit lens, EF-S 24mm, and EF-S 40mm. I did just buy a Tamron 28-75mm f2.8, though, it should be here next week :D

You will like the Tamron, it was on my Canon all the time.  Although, the AF motor isn't as smooth or quick as say "Canon L".  Image quality wise, it's quite comparable.  

• Like 2
jedimasterben
1 hour ago, DAP said:

I love this tank!

just need a mate for the waspfish. Lol

Soooon!

44 minutes ago, Asureef said:

You will like the Tamron, it was on my Canon all the time.  Although, the AF motor isn't as smooth or quick as say "Canon L".  Image quality wise, it's quite comparable.  

All of my lenses are STM, which are nearly instant focus, and it's really made me lazy and rely on autofocus too much since it's so fast. Gonna take some practice :D

jedimasterben
7 hours ago, 4x5 said:

The tank is looking great Ben. 

Thanks Shaun!!

8 minutes ago, kimberbee said:

Wow... Lemony Snickett is soooo pretty!! :wub:

Yes it is! Now if only it will get less camera shy!

jedimasterben

So this lens is very heavy (heavier than the camera by a long shot) and almost every pic was way too shaky :(

32382914353_aac42998a7_o.jpg

32382913373_619b43c30a_o.jpg

32382912103_7bae91aa29_o.jpg

33198138715_d31851f2a2_o.jpg

33198138125_39a077f534_o.jpg

33198137085_4fbbebc33a_o.jpg

• Like 10
Christopher Marks

That is a beast of a lens! Does it have image stabilization? New gear always takes some getting used to.

A faster shutter speed should help, even if you have to bump your ISO higher to make the exposure work, it should be worth it. You could also underexpose and push the RAW file a little bit when you edit it too.

jedimasterben
2 hours ago, Christopher Marks said:

That is a beast of a lens! Does it have image stabilization? New gear always takes some getting used to.

A faster shutter speed should help, even if you have to bump your ISO higher to make the exposure work, it should be worth it. You could also underexpose and push the RAW file a little bit when you edit it too.

No, no IS on this one. That would have over doubled the cost, and my wife wouldn't appreciate that :D

These were taken at 1/125 with an ISO of 800, so I can't really push that any higher without getting more noise than I like at f/4 (where the lens should be sharpest, and a bit less narrow DoF). I tweaked them in Lightroom a bit, but that also tends to increase noise a bit too much, too. :(

I put a 13mm (I think) extension tube on the lens for some of them, reduced the focal plane down to like 2-12", which was perfect for these shots. I had almost gotten an even nicer one of the waspfish, but I missed the focus on the fee I was able to get :(

jedimasterben
4 hours ago, Asureef said:

Learn to control your breathing, I used to shoot at 1/60-1/80 with that lens. Lol

It's more the weight of the whole thing now - definitely not used to it!

Started a prazipro treatment today. Left the skimmer running with the cup unplugged to try and keep oxygenation up and to keep the pH from getting down to 7. Will go for 5 days at about 3.0mg/L, then add a large bag of carbon for two days, then another 5 day treatment.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, jedimasterben said:

It's more the weight of the whole thing now - definitely not used to it!

Started a prazipro treatment today. Left the skimmer running with the cup unplugged to try and keep oxygenation up and to keep the pH from getting down to 7. Will go for 5 days at about 3.0mg/L, then add a large bag of carbon for two days, then another 5 day treatment.

Yeah, I didn't think of that.  I think that tamron lens is about the same size as my Sony body. 

On my old 40D, it felt just right.  I do miss the larger DSLR body's.

jedimasterben
12 minutes ago, Asureef said:

Yeah, I didn't think of that.  I think that tamron lens is about the same size as my Sony body. 

On my old 40D, it felt just right.  I do miss the larger DSLR body's.

My camera with battery and SD is 421g, the new lens alone is 510g. :o

jedimasterben
2 hours ago, StinkyBunny said:

1 word monopod. ;) I couldn't shoot without it. My RA has gotten so bad in the last year that I can barely hold on to the camera.

I have one around here somewhere. The problem is most of the fish move too fast. That's one reason you'll see tons of pics of the waspfish and not much else, he just sits around :lol:

• Like 2
jedimasterben
10 hours ago, ninjamyst said:

why do you need to dose prazipro?  one of the fish not eating?

All fish need to be dewormed with praziquantel, they are guaranteed to have some sort of internal parasites if they spend even a few hours in the ocean, a wholesaler system, or a retail system, even if they have been treated before.

• Like 1
jedimasterben
1 minute ago, markalot said:

I haven't been around much lately and really enjoyed the latest set of pics.  Things are looking great.

Thanks mark!

I like that lens, too bad it's so expensive.  I have a manual focus macro for the Nikon and it's nice but I think my mirror is slightly out of alignment.  Damn SLR's anyway.

• Like 1
jedimasterben
6 hours ago, markalot said:

I like that lens, too bad it's so expensive.  I have a manual focus macro for the Nikon and it's nice but I think my mirror is slightly out of alignment.  Damn SLR's anyway.

I got it for $249 from Keh, their excellent plus grade, and I can't even tell that it was ever used. It even has that 'new lens smell'. :o

• Like 3