SaltCritters.com

Deeper Well - An Acquasole 60

jedimasterben

jedimasterben
41 minutes ago, Christopher Marks said:

Wow that's a great price! I totally forget about KEH, I'm going to keep an eye out for some lenses for my Fujifilm X Series gear.

And in going to their actual site just now (I got the lens on their eBay store), they do financing through Affirm, which is awesome. Kinda pissed that I found that out cause I might be spending a lot more there from now on!

• Like 1
jedimasterben

ORP readings before and after starting feeding Rod's food. Started feeding it on February 18th. ORP has not really changed since I started measuring it when I got the Apex a few months ago, staying between 310 and 340 (ORP rises and falls daily opposite to pH).

33270678685_40455fb0bb_o.png

32456102653_a57c4129c5_o.png

33270680585_c64fe34000_o.png

• Like 1

The tank and fish are looking incredible! I want my own Lemony Snicket :)

So what are the ORP readings telling you? I know what it measures, and it interesting to see when it changes, but how does that actually translate into something you might need to correct or improve in the tank?

jedimasterben
17 hours ago, teenyreef said:

The tank and fish are looking incredible! I want my own Lemony Snicket :)

So what are the ORP readings telling you? I know what it measures, and it interesting to see when it changes, but how does that actually translate into something you might need to correct or improve in the tank?

ORP is really, really complex, but for the 'big picture' it can be used as a super rough gauge of water quality.

• Like 1
jedimasterben

Second dose of prazi just went in, 12mL which should be about 3.0-3.1mg/L. The skimmer was no longer overflowing at all, and it was still super drippy yesterday, so i figured that not quite all the meds were out, so I waited an extra day to redose.

Also stirred up the sandbed. Had loads of bubbles from me forgetting to turn the ATO back on after refilling the ATO container... oops. Tank looks quite a bit brighter getting some of the awful algae covered sand turned over or covered up. Blech.

jedimasterben

Most of my shots are still looking far worse with this new lens than with any of the cheap lenses. :mellow:

32585200104_eddeb9eb7f_o.jpg

33427806385_ef664d0ed8_o.jpg

32585201544_157e1983cf_o.jpg

33427807025_c4dfa9bbdf_o.jpg

• Like 4
jedimasterben
24 minutes ago, ninjamyst said:

The The lens run dark.  Exposure +0.7

Adding that much to the exposure in Lightroom makes the photos unusable due to noise. The picture of the starry blenny I think has 0.4 added to it and it already is too noisy. :(

jedimasterben
12 hours ago, StinkyBunny said:

Starry blennies are tough to get a really good shot of. I hear you on the glass, I get better shots with the kit lens than I do with my L glass.

I love the zoom, but I know my STM lenses are all much faster to focus and much better at it. I can use an extension tube to get them to focus closer (the Tamron definitely wins there without extensions) and they're pretty damn good.

Though I did start playing with AI Focus, which is pretty awesome, can't wait to use it with one of the STM lenses outside maybe chasing Ellie around.

• Like 3

Latest pics look good IMO.

My ORP has been consistent since December, 275 for the high, 235 for the low.  

I think it's a waste of probe space. :D

• Like 1
On 3/13/2017 at 9:15 PM, jedimasterben said:

Adding that much to the exposure in Lightroom makes the photos unusable due to noise. The picture of the starry blenny I think has 0.4 added to it and it already is too noisy. :(

One of the reasons why I wanted to try a Sony, superior noise control.  

Not a fish but shot at ISO 1600 no noise reduction.

https://imageshack.com/i/po1OVYUBj

jedimasterben
23 minutes ago, Asureef said:

One of the reasons why I wanted to try a Sony, superior noise control.  

Not a fish but shot at ISO 1600 no noise reduction.

https://imageshack.com/i/po1OVYUBj

That's insane, but also the camera body itself was three times to cost of mine, so I would think a closer comparison would be to one of the full frame bodies. :P

jedimasterben

Well, lost the smaller clownfish today (or maybe last night) and the other clown, rabbitfish, and angel have quite a few spots of cryptocaryon. The angel also has some strange discolored spots on it - almost like the scales have simply lost their pigment. The only one I'm really worried about is the angel, it is still in the 'can't tell if eating or just faking it' phase. Everything else eats like a pig. I think it's realistically too soon to say that it had to do with my skimmer pump locking up for half a day, I have a hard time believing that oxygen content would be low enough to actually kill a small fish.

33292610952_d0778a689d_o.png

And yes, you're reading that correctly. pH was incredibly close to reading acidic instead of basic. pH probe is calibrated.

jedimasterben
3 minutes ago, William said:

why is your aquarium ph so low?

Dunno. Skimmer pulls outside air, too. Alkalinity is 7.5dKH.

Interference or probe failure.  Either that or something is happening at night to drive CO2 very high near the tank.  Closed up newer houses can do it, and perhaps the skimmer is not pulling enough air?  Kalk works for me, I don;t even pull air from outside anymore, but ALK usage has to be high enough to make a difference.

jedimasterben
9 minutes ago, markalot said:

Interference or probe failure.  Either that or something is happening at night to drive CO2 very high near the tank.  Closed up newer houses can do it, and perhaps the skimmer is not pulling enough air?  Kalk works for me, I don;t even pull air from outside anymore, but ALK usage has to be high enough to make a difference.

Probe is double junction purchased new with the Apex a few months ago and is currently calibrated. All four of my probes have their own run, no power cables run near them and there are no power outlets nearby. The ORP reading (which fluctuates almost exactly opposite to pH) was right in line where it should be for an extreme pH drop, too, it rocketed upwards.

Not sure about skimmer air draw, but it's probably decent.

Home is about 15 years old, but is modular and not even a single part of it is up to code, from the siding on the house not having a proper vapor barrier to outlets across the house all being on the same circuit breaker. Definitely doesn't seal super tight. The room the tank is in is always open to the rest of the house, and that night I actually didn't spend any time at my computer (which is in the same room). Not exactly sure about it all, but nothing in the tank seems to really care about it much.

Would be kinda interesting to see what happens when pH becomes truly acidic though :D

Oh no! You just seem to have the worst luck with fish sometimes, Ben :(

Any chance it was due to something in the air - cleaning materials or something like that?

Have you tested your ph manually (chemically with a kit), I would be Interested to see if it is the same. Do you have a gas stove/oven and have poor exhaust ventilation? When I turn my oven on in my small NYC apartment, the ph in my aquarium goes down (I now have a co2 scrubber on the skimmer air intake, and this does not happen as much).

do you heavily carbon dose? 

• Like 1