Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Deeper Well - An Acquasole 60

jedimasterben

Tank is getting quite the hardware upgrade. Gyre 230 and an IceCap K2-120 skimmer. The Coral Box D500 still performs well, but the Jebao DCT-1200 pump that it runs on keeps having issues restarting. I have to unplug it, beat it, then plug it back in and it will work again - and this is after having cleaned the pump and swapping with a clean pinwheel impeller. Someone else can deal with that if they want that skimmer cheap :D

• Like 2
1 hour ago, jedimasterben said:

So my tank uses two Tunze 6055, which is advertised by Tunze as operating with a voltage input of 10-27v. Unfortunately, this is simply not the case - I have one IceCap and one Coral Box battery backup that output 12v. Both were fully charged before this skank Irma showed up. Power went off around 5PM on Sunday, and I expected with each Tunze 6055 drawing somewhere around 6-8 watts when on (they switch off and on with a pulse flow pattern) they should last at least 96 hours. We come home last night to check on the animals and I peek in at the tank and the water was ####ing still. ####.

Turns out the Tunzes do NOT work on 12v input power. The controller that is built-in does not even power on. Going to bitch at Tunze about that.

I then realized oh, I have an old Tunze 6095 in the closet that was before they added the controllers to them - that one would HAVE to work on 12v!! I plug it in, no dice, it also does not spin. WHAT THE ####.

I then pull out the big guns - a Gyre 150. This has to work. Once again, nope, the old model Gyre controllers need 24v input, the controller works on 12v but it cannot power the pump. ####BERRIES

Defeated, I left to head to my parents' house to get a shower and sleep. I only later remembered that I had an APC Smart-UPS 750 that I keep my computer plugged into that I had unplugged and power down before the storm. #### #### #### WHY

I went out this morning, but it was too late. All fish except for the five chromis are dead. :(

#### you Irma, you dirty skank.

Oh man.....sorry to hear this Ben.

• Sad 1

I am surprised the ice cap battery doesn't work.  I thought it was advertised to work specifically with the gyre pumps.  I bought one cuz of it.  Never hooked it up though.  Anyone want an ice cap battery backup???  

I know so many people with issues with those jebao pumps dying after 6 months to a year.  

15 hours ago, ninjamyst said:

I am surprised the ice cap battery doesn't work.  I thought it was advertised to work specifically with the gyre pumps.  I bought one cuz of it.  Never hooked it up though.  Anyone want an ice cap battery backup???  

I know so many people with issues with those jebao pumps dying after 6 months to a year.  

It works if you have the IceCap controller for the original Gyres or if you have the new controller for the Gyre 200 series. :(

Yeah, I've had good luck with all of mine, relatively few issues except with this smaller pump. 

Power came back on at some point today. Got the house fully cleaned up from the old school litterbox we had to have while our CatGenie was unable to run, and then got the new Gyre 230 installed.

AND IT ####ING WORKS ON THE BATTERY LIKE IT SHOULD! Not gonna go through this again. The Tunzes couldn't go away fast enough.

My skimmer cup was emptied Friday night, and as of right now it is almost full again, and I have not even fed the tank anything since Thursday night.

Still super cloudy, but not bad for what it went though.

37061816132_786977419b_h.jpg&key=cdb4113

• Like 6
8 hours ago, DAP said:

Great News !

Tank looks good to me.  Do you have gravel mixed in with your sand?  Looks chunky on top.

Thank you. The sand on the bottom is an oolite, the top is Nature's Ocean Samoa Pink Gravel #5, which has a pretty decent size to not get blown around with high flow like I have.

5 hours ago, vlangel said:

Ben, I am sorry about your fish.

Thank you Dawn. It definitely sucks, but it won't happen again. I'm ready this time!

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, Christopher Marks said:

I'm glad we could feature your aquarium before the storm @jedimasterben, your fish will live on :grouphug:

How are all the leathers looking tonight, any new progress with everything back online?

I know, made it just in time lol.

No more progress as of yet, every one of the leathers still look super depressed :D

• Like 1
40 minutes ago, jedimasterben said:

Thank you Dawn. It definitely sucks, but it won't happen again. I'm ready this time!

I think I am ready for a prolonged power outage but I hope not to be put to the test.

• 2 weeks later...

So sorry to hear about all your losses during Irma.  I'm glad you have power back and it looks like a lot of the corals will pull through given some recovery time.  I completely missed your transition to this tank during my hiatus from the hobby.  This tank is one of those stunning softy/gorgonian tanks done just right!  I'm really hoping it will go right back to its stunning TOTM status given a bit of recovery time.

• Like 1
On 9/25/2017 at 4:06 AM, Felicia said:

So sorry to hear about all your losses during Irma.  I'm glad you have power back and it looks like a lot of the corals will pull through given some recovery time.  I completely missed your transition to this tank during my hiatus from the hobby.  This tank is one of those stunning softy/gorgonian tanks done just right!  I'm really hoping it will go right back to its stunning TOTM status given a bit of recovery time.

Thanks Felicia. Only thing besides all the fish that I'm upset about is my yellow Fiji leather, it completely wasted away :( Everything else is either back to 100% or is rather close to it.

On 9/27/2017 at 2:26 PM, Paleoreef103 said:

I'm sorry about your fish losses, Ben. That sucks.

Yeah, it was pretty rough. Summer was super shitty and things started looking up a bit then the storm hit. Meh. <_<

So been thinking about what I want to do with the tank now that I have basically a blank (fish) slate to work with. I've always liked anglerfish, so I'm considering a warty angler (Antennarius maculatus) and filling the tank to the brim with chromis and just replacing them as their population dwindles (if that would even be an option, which I'm not thinking at this point it is), or breeding mollies. Then I'd get a few nicer larger fish (like the magnificent foxface I had, maybe try for another purple tang) that won't be meals.

• 3 weeks later...

Dude, really sorry to hear about the losses through Irma :(, It's odd that your coral box battery backup didn't power the Gyre though, mine powers my XF-130 just fine. Did you have to replace the pump in your D500 to get a DC1200? Mine came with a DC2000 from the get go. I had it replaced under warranty for a DCS2000 but think I'll upgrade it to one of the newer pumps with the float sensor I can mount in the skimmer cup to help protect against overflows.

Wow what a journey this tank has undertaken, so many ups and downs, looks great though, love the corals. We lost power for two days due to Irma here in Pasco, but I don't keep fish in my Pico. Hope your tank continues to do well! 

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, jedimasterben said:

Nope, no zoas in the tank, I still can't keep any alive. :closedeyes:

And yeah, only the two chromis left still.

What is the green thing in the lower left area?