Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Deeper Well - An Acquasole 60

jedimasterben

jedimasterben

Now I remember why I gave up.

31246666112_2e9e7c63cf_b.jpg

This might be because my lights decided to be on at 1AM due to me messing up the programming on the Apex yesterday. Grrrrr.

• Like 1

Not a lot of conditions that can kill that fast.

Alk test of 7.5 to 8 is too loose. Salifert?

Birds are very sensitive to rapid alk swings but in this case something may have happened in shipping. You know I prefer Alk around 7, and dosing should be as such that rapid swings can't happen.

Still, to lose them this fast ... something else.

jedimasterben

Birds are very sensitive to rapid alk swings but in this case something may have happened in shipping. You know I prefer Alk around 7, and dosing should be as such that rapid swings can't happen.

Elos, not Salifert. A high resolution test is not a necessity for me, and I also doubt the accuracy of most hobby tests that claim the higher resolutions, anyway. Even when I tested my Hanna alk checker (the only one that Hanna sells that is accurate and precise) against an alk standard I made it was off by about 10%. But consistency is definitely the most important rather than the absolute number :)

The only thing that I know happened was the light thing this morning, but I am not sure if it could cause this kind of damage so quickly, if anything they would have bleached instead of losing flesh.

Damn you be cursed.

:/

jedimasterben

I also am going to get some fittings or something to raise the skimmer body up. Currently, I have the pump turned down less than halfway or the skimmer overflows, but this way it is not pulling in very much outside air, pH is still generally low and drops like a rock whenever I'm in the room for more than a few minutes. Plus, it's still a bit difficult to get good dry skimmate. Raising it two inches or so should be perfect.

Now I remember why I gave up.31246666112_2e9e7c63cf_b.jpg

This might be because my lights decided to be on at 1AM due to me messing up the programming on the Apex yesterday. Grrrrr.

:( softy coral bro hug.
  • Like 6

Now that sucks........I know SPS can be a PITA but it seems for all of them to go that fast something had to happen besides the light issue.

Sorry to see that......

• Like 1

I agree stable KH more important than the raw number but I am preaching 7 KH and stable with a kit good enough to reproduce the same result in 3 back to back tests.

Something else kills that fast though, when my tank was at its worst things lived longer than that.

What is your salinity running at?

• Like 1
jedimasterben

I agree stable KH more important than the raw number but I am preaching 7 KH and stable with a kit good enough to reproduce the same result in 3 back to back tests.

Something else kills that fast though, when my tank was at its worst things lived longer than that.

What is your salinity running at?

I'm with you on the lower alkalinity. Not really looking for absolute max growth of anything (hell, up to this point I didnt even have any consumption), and from what I understand better coloration can sometimes be had at lower alk levels, so there is that :)

The Elos kit I have is precise, I can get consistent readings, but I have not yet tested it's accuracy against a standard. The color change had started with 15 drops of reagent, and was past the endpoint color slightly when adding the 16th drop and letting it sit for 30 seconds, so that is where my 7.5-8dKH range came from :)

Salinity is 35. I've been manually topping off until I set my new ATO reservoir up, adding about half a gallon per day (in one go, so salinity will change like 5% at that time of addition), but I had already done that before adding these corals. Salinity in the bag water matched my tank, though, and Morgan had placed a bit of carbon in each bag with the corals, which I'd never seen before.

Now that sucks........I know SPS can be a PITA but it seems for all of them to go that fast something had to happen besides the light issue.

Sorry to see that......

Yeah, I don't think it would have been the light thing, either. :/

Revive has been known to harm some SPS. Bayer or bust IMO. It may have been the dip, nothing else makes much sense unless something really bad happened in shipping.

• Like 4

Revive has been known to harm some SPS. Bayer or bust IMO. It may have been the dip, nothing else makes much sense unless something really bad happened in shipping.

Dang, I'm sorry, Ben, that really sucks. I wouldn't be surprised to lose one or two but not all of them :angry:

I only use Bayer and I've never had a a problem with it. It might have been shipping, but if that was the case you'd think they show signs of stress right out of the box, but you had at least a couple that were showing PE within minutes in the tank.

Yeah his tank :lol: sorry Ben :blush:

Sorry I had to laugh at this. But I felt bad for laughing :lol:

• Like 5

What about leather toxins? I had a sinularia frag itself one day and the next the flesh was all peeling on three birdsnests I had in my biocube.

Yeah his tank :lol: sorry Ben :blush:

LOL

• Like 1
jedimasterben

Dang, I'm sorry, Ben, that really sucks. I wouldn't be surprised to lose one or two but not all of them :angry:

I only use Bayer and I've never had a a problem with it. It might have been shipping, but if that was the case you'd think they show signs of stress right out of the box, but you had at least a couple that were showing PE within minutes in the tank.

Sorry I had to laugh at this. But I felt bad for laughing :lol:

Only three of the seven frags are showing this severe necrosis, so not all is lost, but as per usual, dinoflagellates are always there to fill in any gap they find, compounding the issue. I don't think I can win.

What about leather toxins? I had a sinularia frag itself one day and the next the flesh was all peeling on three birdsnests I had in my biocube.

LOL

I just changed my carbon a couple days ago in anticipation for these.

Ah Ben, that stinks! I am sorry.

:(

Not really letting it get to me. I'm used to years of this by now.

I am taking this time to work on my electrical cabinet, though, maybe now I can finally get the conductivity probe to actually work.

• Like 3

I'm going to be the voice of dissent here, it's not alk, it's mag. I damn near lost my 4' coral run due to it dropping. IMO, when the coralline takes off, you REALLY have to watch mag like a hawk. Without the mag, the others are all over the damn place. Wanna see an alk crash of biblical proportions? Let your mag drop and I damn well guarantee you your tank will shit the bed toute suite. You're not alone with bird's nests bro, I can't keep the damn things to save my live where I have no problems keeping the stuff that people say is difficult, go figure. Those things ship horribly too, you can figure on a 50% death rate from maricultured stock. You get a bare white skeleton in the bag with what looks like a bunch of eyes, very disheartening. :(

• Like 1
jedimasterben

I have almost exactly zero coralline algae, and the bits I do have have always been slowly receding, not expanding, that's another thing that everyone has that I can't grow worth a damn. :(

I also did a 90% water change a couple of weeks ago, so there is no real way mag could have dropped low enough to do RTN kind of damage in that time with no active consumption.

jedimasterben

Too much light vs food would be my guess, but not in 24 hours.

It wasn't even that long, they went into the tank late afternoon and looked like that around 12 hours later.

jedimasterben

How are the stylos doing?

The purple one was nice and fluffy before I left, and the other one has polyps starting to peek out. The other two birdsnests with no necrosis weren't extending polyps that I could see, but these species don't have but super tiny polyps anyway.

• Like 1

The purple one was nice and fluffy before I left, and the other one has polyps starting to peek out. The other two birdsnests with no necrosis weren't extending polyps that I could see, but these species don't have but super tiny polyps anyway.

Sounds good. The Orchid is a lot more finicky, and I've had to tiny bouts of recession when Alk got too low while the purple just keeps growing.

• Like 1