Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Deeper Well - An Acquasole 60

jedimasterben

jedimasterben

Yesterday I got my new Trigger Crystal ATO and the other Tunze 6055. I then installed the wide flow nozzles to both 6055 (to give them the same flow pattern as the 6095), and have been playing with their power levels and placement, still working on that to find something that I like and that the tank likes. Both pumps came with a convex base on their magnets, so the pump does not sit flat on the glass and rocks back and forth, which is annoying, contacted Tunze to replace them. The magnet on my 6095 did not have this, neither do the magnets on my two 6045.

So I'm pretty sure my helfrichi firefish is gone. I have not seen it in like two weeks now. The only fish accounted for are the five chromis, the starry blenny, the foxface, the filefish, the jawfish, the waspfish, and the betta. Just like the anthias previously, it really sucks when you have fish that are active and eating well that literally just disappear.

Sorry about the firefighters, Ben :(

What's up with convex magnets? Why would they design it that way? I don't understand...

FIRE FISH.

stupid autocorrect

jedimasterben

Sorry about the firefighters, Ben :(

What's up with convex magnets? Why would they design it that way? I don't understand...

FIRE FISH.

stupid autocorrect

LOL firefighters!!

The magnets are a manufacturing defect. Roger @ Tunze said he'd send me a set of new ones. I am having some difficulty with the pumps and setting them via Apex. Apparently Tunze uses a 0-6.5v signal versus the 0-10v that the Apex does, so what the Apex sends as 65% (6.5v) is actually 100% on the pump. The pump voltage curve is also very far from linear, so the minimum 34% from the Apex before the pump starts spinning is actually about 28% of the actual pump power, which isn't even close to the ~52% power that it should be. And unfortunately there is really no way to rectify this, so I have very little control over the pumps on the Apex, other than having them pulse back and forth every 10 seconds, which sucks.

So I'm thinking of some SPS from LiveAquaria - seriatopora and stylophora. I'm not really into montipora or acropora, though there are some exceptions, but I'm not looking to turn this tank into a super high maintenance one at this point :P

• Like 1

My green birdsnest and purple stylo are growing like weed...easier than zoas. Orange sesota is also easy and very bright / colorful. Sorry about the firefish. I had a small banggai that disappeared from my 13 gallon tank. No body anywhere and I dont have any rocks for it to hide in. Or even a clean up crew that can dispose of the body....

• Like 1
jedimasterben

My green birdsnest and purple stylo are growing like weed...easier than zoas. Orange sesota is also easy and very bright / colorful. Sorry about the firefish. I had a small banggai that disappeared from my 13 gallon tank. No body anywhere and I dont have any rocks for it to hide in. Or even a clean up crew that can dispose of the body....

I dunno about easier than zoas. Zoas don't particularly care about nutrient levels and such, or alkalinity level, etc etc :D

Bacteria alone can make quick work out of a fish body. I know it's morbid, but if you have another (small) one die, just let it sit stuck to a powerhead or something and see how damned fast it just breaks down into nothing. :o

I ordered from Reefgardener. Was going to get five total frags from LiveAquaria for about $185 including shipping, but I got seven from RG for $181.

• ReefGen Orchid Stylophora
  • Tubb's Birdsnest small
  • ORA Purple Stylophora
  • ORA Birds of Paradise Birdsnest
  • Magenta Birdsnest Coral
  • Hyacinth Birdsnest Coral
  • Green Paradise Birdsnest coral
  • Like 3
jedimasterben

nice choices! zoas...oh f-ing zoas...problem is no one knows what they DO care. some just melt for no reason while others spread like weed

The main problem is that zoanthids are so varied in where they come from, not only geographically but also depth. Some here in FL literally grow in 6" of water, others are found at nearly 80m depth, getting nearly no light. Then geographically there will be significantly different water chemistry. There is just no 'one size fits all' for zoas, or really most corals. :(

• Like 2

The main problem is that zoanthids are so varied in where they come from, not only geographically but also depth. Some here in FL literally grow in 6" of water, others are found at nearly 80m depth, getting nearly no light. Then geographically there will be significantly different water chemistry. There is just no 'one size fits all' for zoas, or really most corals. :(

This! Why I gave up on chasing fads and went for a nice soft cheapcoral reef.
  • Like 1
jedimasterben

The best advice I ever heard for reefers was not to chase any particular Coral. If it doesn't do well in your system when other things do, then get rid of the one. Don't change anything in the tank based on just one Coral, as you'll likely harm other corals in the process and it all spirals out of control. That's why I gave up on SPS for so long.

• Like 5

I dunno about easier than zoas. Zoas don't particularly care about nutrient levels and such, or alkalinity level, etc etc :D

Bacteria alone can make quick work out of a fish body. I know it's morbid, but if you have another (small) one die, just let it sit stuck to a powerhead or something and see how damned fast it just breaks down into nothing. :o

I ordered from Reefgardener. Was going to get five total frags from LiveAquaria for about $185 including shipping, but I got seven from RG for $181.

• ReefGen Orchid Stylophora
  • Tubb's Birdsnest small
  • ORA Purple Stylophora
  • ORA Birds of Paradise Birdsnest
  • Magenta Birdsnest Coral
  • Hyacinth Birdsnest Coral
  • Green Paradise Birdsnest coral

I've been happy with all my Reef Gardener orders. Orchid stylo is great looking but can be finicky, beware. Also don't freak out if the stylos start to recede after shipping, for whatever reason every one shipped to me had the issue, but some superglue over the recession stopped it.

Green paradise bird looks really good, better than the bird of paradise which is purple fuzz unless disturbed. Though honestly with a crap ton of flow they do look better, so maybe it will be awesome in here.

... and you are testing Alk daily or every other day, right? :)

Ack, I shouldn't have looked. Appleberry capitata looks awesome ... I have the blueberry capitata. You need to make another order.

• Like 1
jedimasterben

Good choices on your order. Reef Gardener has excellent stuff.

Yes, she does. Havent shopped there in a long time, partly because I haven't been buying corals much for the past couple years, and partly because I realized she isn't a sponsor here anymore, so I never see her posts.

I've been happy with all my Reef Gardener orders. Orchid stylo is great looking but can be finicky, beware. Also don't freak out if the stylos start to recede after shipping, for whatever reason every one shipped to me had the issue, but some superglue over the recession stopped it.

Green paradise bird looks really good, better than the bird of paradise which is purple fuzz unless disturbed. Though honestly with a crap ton of flow they do look better, so maybe it will be awesome in here.

... and you are testing Alk daily or every other day, right? :)

Ack, I shouldn't have looked. Appleberry capitata looks awesome ... I have the blueberry capitata. You need to make another order.

I don't have any hard corals (wait, no, I lied, I have a tiny hammer and a single almost dead duncan) so no, I have not been testing alk but maybe once every other month. I realize that I will need to do checking at least weekly now, but to this point it's simply been unnecessary :)

I actually really like the bird of paradise, HES SO FLUFFY IM GONNA DIE :D

But my favorite was Kat's pink bird that she decided she was way too good for.

Test daily for a while or risk losing them. Aim low for Alk, too low hurts corals, an Alk spike kills them dead, especially the birds. Remember i accidentally ran low for over a month and had some recession but after a correction back to near 7 everything recovered quickly. A spike takes months and months.

Daily dammit.

jedimasterben

Test daily for a while or risk losing them. Aim low for Alk, too low hurts corals, an Alk spike kills them dead, especially the birds. Remember i accidentally ran low for over a month and had some recession but after a correction back to near 7 everything recovered quickly. A spike takes months and months.

Daily dammit.

Can't make me! :P

I know I'll have to figure out the tank's new baseline and usage (where it had nearly zero before) so it will be a bit of work up front, but shouldn't be terrible. The Elos test kit is pretty quick to use.

SPS in dis reef? Say it aint so.

yeah, who knows. I might just throw it all out and do all acros :P

• Like 1

I hope they deal well with leathers trying to choke them out of the neighborhood :P I added several corals last night and my angrier established corals released the stingers...

• Like 3
blizzardscout2

I hope they deal well with leathers trying to choke them out of the neighborhood :P I added several corals last night and my angrier established corals released the stingers...

It took me awhile to realize that was my problem with a large leather.

• Like 1
jedimasterben

Me too. and the gorgonians, they are pretty strong when it comes to allelopathy, as well. I do run quite a lot of carbon, though, along with adding calcium carbonate to flocc organics, so hopefully that won't be a problem.

• Like 1

SPS in dis reef? Say it aint so.

I approve this message!!!

Can't make me! :P

I know I'll have to figure out the tank's new baseline and usage (where it had nearly zero before) so it will be a bit of work up front, but shouldn't be terrible. The Elos test kit is pretty quick to use.

yeah, who knows. I might just throw it all out and do all acros :P

Un following
  • Like 3

I like birdsnest. They are my favorite of the SPS. Reefgardener has some nice looking pieces. Don't blame you for wanting to give them a try. I think you are making a mistake though :P.

Just don't get rid of your leathers and gorgs to appease the SPS! Leathers/gorgs > SPS ;).

• Like 2
jedimasterben

I approve this message!!!

Un following

:lol:

I like birdsnest. They are my favorite of the SPS. Reefgardener has some nice looking pieces. Don't blame you for wanting to give them a try. I think you are making a mistake though :P.

Just don't get rid of your leathers and gorgs to appease the SPS! Leathers/gorgs > SPS ;).

Oh, I'm absolutely not gonna get rid of anything I have currently, that was a joke! I want to run the tank, not let it run me! :D

Corals all arrived today and looked good. I took some PAR measurements on the side of the tank where I was keeping the frag rack and with the lights as they currently are, with it raised decently high PAR is somewhere in the 260-280 range, and with it near the bottom of the tank, it's still in the 230-250 range. Not gonna work that well for acclimation lol

• Like 2
jedimasterben

Yep, and they already started having some polyp extension. The purple stylo had almost full polyp extension about 10 minutes after submerging the frag rack in the tank.

And alkalinity was between 7.5 and 8 today.

Just don't fry the Birdnests you light junkie, you :)

Mine are growing all which-ways at only ~130 PAR, but took a loooong time to settle in to the tank (common for BNs).