Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

[Fluconazole Vs Bryopsis] "We're getting out" FAIL- IM 25 Lagoon

lkoechle

7 minutes ago, Coral_chef said:

Didn't the doors open at 11?

i would expect you would have to be early to be the first 500

Yeah, we have been to events like this before when we lived in Denver, but I didn't expect it to be packed out in 5 minutes.

25 minutes ago, Coral_chef said:

Didn't the doors open at 11?

i would expect you would have to be early to be the first 500

We tried, but we had a 2 hour drive, plus a errand we had to run first. Add leaving 15 minutes late getting the kids set with grandma for the day.... it is what it is. 

The two things that surprised me the most.

1) it just kept getting busier and busier. I didnt expect that many people but it was our first time there

2) no one had coolers. I heared most people buying stuff saying they were drivig for hours but no one was carrying a cooler to transport stuff. Even a vendor commented to us about being surprised he didnt see more people with them. (He said this because we actually had a cooler) 

• Like 1
57 minutes ago, lkoechle said:

It was so crowded.  we got there at 11:05 and WAS NOT in the first 500.  first 1 to 2000 MAYBE. It was insane.

Still being lazy, better pictures forthcoming someday maybe. lol

LOOKS LIKE A RAINBOW TO ME

2 minutes ago, Coral_chef said:

as someone who lives in Oklahoma will the vendors let you buy there then ship them out?

Not at the show. you'd have to go their website. Thr good thing about these shows is theh have show prices. so you're usually not paying as much as you would in a shop.  they have competition and dont want to transport thag stuff back.

Weetabix7
11 minutes ago, lkoechle said:

Not at the show. you'd have to go their website. Thr good thing about these shows is theh have show prices. so you're usually not paying as much as you would in a shop.  they have competition and dont want to transport thag stuff back.

You're absolutely right about them not wanting to transport stuff back!!

Best time to get great deals is in the last 1.5 hrs of a show like this, they'll knock prices waaaay back so they don't have to take anything back with them. 

And yeah, that's really weird that people didn't have coolers. I always do.

19 minutes ago, Weetabix7 said:

You're absolutely right about them not wanting to transport stuff back!!

Best time to get great deals is in the last 1.5 hrs of a show like this, they'll knock prices waaaay back so they don't have to take anything back with them. 

And yeah, that's really weird that people didn't have coolers. I always do.

yep

but you also risk missing the stuff you really wanted. :(

One thing that surprised me is how unimpressed I was with the Jason Foxx stand. (I actually didnt buy my spitfires there, but from another vendor lol)

There was some nice stuff, like the Homewrecker acro.  (yeah, it is a homewrecker at $1500 per inch frag) but other than that, it was okay.  one of the more impressive vendors but not as awesome as I had hoped.

• Like 1
Weetabix7
46 minutes ago, lkoechle said:

bringing this over here because theyre pretty :wub:

Very pretty, I agree!!!

And yeah, I've missed out on things I wanted at Frag Shows by waiting too long to buy. 

15 minutes ago, Coral_chef said:

Bummer I would love to go an get all the good deals but wouldn't know how to get them home 

Have you checked to see if there are Frag Swaps in your state, or within a decent driving distance in Arkansas or Texas?

Coral_chef
2 minutes ago, Weetabix7 said:

Very pretty, I agree!!!

And yeah, I've missed out on things I wanted at Frag Shows by waiting too long to buy. 

Have you checked to see if there are Frag Swaps in your state, or within a decent driving distance in Arkansas or Texas?

From local reefers I've talked to not much going on here for a community. 

Texas i bet would have something 

• Like 1

Better shots of the Acans since they are puffy and not so feedy. You can see the yellow now.  Also better shots of the spitfires since theyre fluffier

20170507_160717-01.jpeg

20170507_160703-01.jpeg

• Like 4

A small brief statement about things I have been keeping on the DL about the lagoon. I am not really ready to talk about it yet. :tears: But to help people make sense of some future decisions and future new additions to the tank and why there are vacancies at Hotel Lagoon:

Ugh...:tears:

6 hours ago, lkoechle said:

A small brief statement about things I have been keeping on the DL about the lagoon. I am not really ready to talk about it yet. :tears: But to help people make sense of some future decisions and future new additions to the tank and why there are vacancies at Hotel Lagoon:

Ugh...:tears:

Oh noooo!!!  Your beautiful clowns!  Hope Wrassey pulls through!

1 minute ago, Lula_Mae said:

Yeah it was super disappointing.  My Birthday weekend definitely had its highs and lows.  We weren't able to catch the wrasse for a couple days but we got him finally.  Pulled his rock out while he was sleeping and swished it around in a bucket until he popped out.  Surprisingly he has NO signs.  None, nothing. zip.  Looks perfectly healthy.  Only time will tell though.  And at least he's in copper now (not therapeutic levels yet, that will be the 10th when they're at therapeutic levels) so even if he does show signs, we should be right on top of it.

• Like 1
RotaryReef
Just now, Lula_Mae said:

I hope that's not true :tears:

Sorry guys..

I have not forgotten about this tank! lol  Just not a lot happening since it's fallow.  My strawberry shortcake RTNed from a dumb mistake.  I'm even embarrassed to write about it. :blush:

It got too much flow and I meant to move it but... kids... and I forgot. And I noticed again too late.  I'm still angry at myself about it. It was such a good looking coral.

The ORA Plum Crazy has been pissy since then and pulling Wrassey McWrasseface from the tank.  We moved it for a day and that made it mad.  I'm also wondering if the tank is too clean since there are no more fish and I forgot/didn't think to turn the skimmer off.  So I think the tank is too clean at this point.  But everyone else is good.  Except for the Kenya Tree (getting stung on the rack) and the Leptastrea got stung too but is recovering since we moved everything around.  No FTS yet, I'm waiting to do that when we get all these frags where they belong.

We did get some goodies from @johnmaloney today.  More CUC for the 25 after my hermits decided to go on a murderous rampage (they are now in the pico predator tank, the can have a showdown with the gorilla crabs or the mantis, who ever eats them first) AND Money Cowries.  My absolute Favs. 

34317841050_b665a1a5b0_c.jpg

Love these guys.  I only got two.  I wish I had a bigger tank so I could have a whole collection.  But I only had 6 in the 85 and they did such a bomb-ass job I didn't want to risk starving them so I only got two.

And Wrassey McWrasseface is doing fine in QT.  Never had any signs of the disease that took out everyone else.  Handling copper like a champ so far.  I'm following the guidelines for Marine Velvet of leaving the copper for a month since I don't have a second QT tank to transfer him to. It sounds intense, but that Marine Velvet was intense and I don't ever EVER want it back.

And now @skoechle is back on board with the idea of QTing all fish.  So, unfortunately, I won that argument.  

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, lkoechle said:

I have not forgotten about this tank! lol  Just not a lot happening since it's fallow.  My strawberry shortcake RTNed from a dumb mistake.  I'm even embarrassed to write about it. :blush:

It got too much flow and I meant to move it but... kids... and I forgot. And I noticed again too late.  I'm still angry at myself about it. It was such a good looking coral.

The ORA Plum Crazy has been pissy since then and pulling Wrassey McWrasseface from the tank.  We moved it for a day and that made it mad.  I'm also wondering if the tank is too clean since there are no more fish and I forgot/didn't think to turn the skimmer off.  So I think the tank is too clean at this point.  But everyone else is good.  Except for the Kenya Tree (getting stung on the rack) and the Leptastrea got stung too but is recovering since we moved everything around.  No FTS yet, I'm waiting to do that when we get all these frags where they belong.

We did get some goodies from @johnmaloney today.  More CUC for the 25 after my hermits decided to go on a murderous rampage (they are now in the pico predator tank, the can have a showdown with the gorilla crabs or the mantis, who ever eats them first) AND Money Cowries.  My absolute Favs. 

34317841050_b665a1a5b0_c.jpg

Love these guys.  I only got two.  I wish I had a bigger tank so I could have a whole collection.  But I only had 6 in the 85 and they did such a bomb-ass job I didn't want to risk starving them so I only got two.

And Wrassey McWrasseface is doing fine in QT.  Never had any signs of the disease that took out everyone else.  Handling copper like a champ so far.  I'm following the guidelines for Marine Velvet of leaving the copper for a month since I don't have a second QT tank to transfer him to. It sounds intense, but that Marine Velvet was intense and I don't ever EVER want it back.

And now @skoechle is back on board with the idea of QTing all fish.  So, unfortunately, I won that argument.  

Money Cowries, yaaaaay!!!

Hope Wrassey continues to do well. 

I hope you will try to video some of the hermit/mantis/gorilla crab showdowns! :lol:

Someone on here got a pom pom and when she added baby hermits, the pom pom dragged them off to her lair! :o  Must be Shelby's sister... :unsure:

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

I hope you will try to video some of the hermit/mantis/gorilla crab showdowns! :lol:

Someone on here got a pom pom and when she added baby hermits, the pom pom dragged them off to her lair! :o  Must be Shelby's sister... :unsure:

Yeah, I accidentally added the hermits right in front of the Gorilla cave. lol  It was a tense few seconds.  I hate my hermits, but I do feel like they need a sporting chance. lol

• Like 2

Its been awhile since I've updated on this thread.  Not much to say.  It's still running fallow.  SPS are angry with 0 nitrates so I'm putting in phytofeast and reefchili daily. 

Wrassey McWrasseface died labor day weekend.  We moved him to a new QT tank to clean the copper tank and he died three days later.  I don't know why.  He was a little pale, but other than that, no significant sign of sickness.  I don't know.  It's disheartening, but that's part of the hobby I guess.  

Here is a new fts:

VqQuEKECuTbDA36XpOqSbuRsM-3tWOeVCw2k-pW1

And a couple coral shots:

20170603_164527.thumb.jpg.3b10a6e22cae1000d11ee48009dcf6d6.jpg

20170603_164538.thumb.jpg.dcb61cedc12dc2ca3a36cf6aeb830e5e.jpg

20170603_164556.thumb.jpg.0dc41c20eb82b8ee8ddbb3838823cad8.jpg

I've also been using this opportunity to rethink my stocking plans.  The 100 Days of Nanos contest has given me lots of ideas, both from the different ideas I had for my own contest tank as well as what other contestants are doing, particularly @Pjanssen's honeymoon reef. Her plan is mated fish.  I thought that was an interesting idea and not one I'd really thought of before.  I mean why waste bioload "slots" with the same species? But it's grown on me.  

So, new stocking plans are (with photos of course):

1 yellow hogfish 

p-80702-yel-candy-hogfish.jpg

2 chalk bass 

6260.jpeg

2 banggaii cardinals

p-39350-kaudern-cardinal.jpg

2 hi-fin gobies (and randall's shrimp)

hi-fin-red-banded-goby-stonogobiops-nema

Insert requisite flame retardant: this list is subject to change on quantity and fish may be rehomed if its just not working out.  I'm not a hardliner on my lists. 

I hope it all works out though, I think it'd be cool. And yes, the hogfish is alone because they don't like each other when they grow up.

• Like 4
2 hours ago, lkoechle said:

Its been awhile since I've updated on this thread.  Not much to say.  It's still running fallow.  SPS are angry with 0 nitrates so I'm putting in phytofeast and reefchili daily. 

Wrassey McWrasseface died labor day weekend.  We moved him to a new QT tank to clean the copper tank and he died three days later.  I don't know why.  He was a little pale, but other than that, no significant sign of sickness.  I don't know.  It's disheartening, but that's part of the hobby I guess.  

Here is a new fts:

VqQuEKECuTbDA36XpOqSbuRsM-3tWOeVCw2k-pW1

And a couple coral shots:

oNkM4eafFRWmkOE8mhV0YCcSFjAn8esLnxGulUyV

ZuGTw1DC-mXIJ7WJgi04VFbFkCxa7yKK9hpLWrac

npNZRVz42Mb8I8XMSvuwXmM_kP5ivp7gJHGG0X19

I've also been using this opportunity to rethink my stocking plans.  The 100 Days of Nanos contest has given me lots of ideas, both from the different ideas I had for my own contest tank as well as what other contestants are doing, particularly @Pjanssen's honeymoon reef. Her plan is mated fish.  I thought that was an interesting idea and not one I'd really thought of before.  I mean why waste bioload "slots" with the same species? But it's grown on me.  

So, new stocking plans are (with photos of course):

1 yellow hogfish 

p-80702-yel-candy-hogfish.jpg

2 chalk bass 

6260.jpeg

2 banggaii cardinals

p-39350-kaudern-cardinal.jpg

2 hi-fin gobies (and randall's shrimp)

hi-fin-red-banded-goby-stonogobiops-nema

Insert requisite flame retardant: this list is subject to change on quantity and fish may be rehomed if its just not working out.  I'm not a hardliner on my lists. 

I hope it all works out though, I think it'd be cool. And yes, the hogfish is alone because they don't like each other when they grow up.

Aside from everything else, my mind is blown that you had a fish die in the future! 

IMG_1727.GIF

IMG_1728.GIF

• Like 2
charlesncharge
On ‎6‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 6:10 AM, lkoechle said:

@1891Bro time traveling is some trippy chit.

lol I meant Memorial Day. 

How is your skimmer doing? I have the same IM ghost (desktop) in my lagoon and had to shut my down yesterday! Noisy and grinding like crazy!! I clean it almost once a week and the grinding noise just keeps coming back!?

2 options-...

1-try to find a better pump, to replace the one in there or

2- figure out another (better) skimmer!?

Thoughts appreciated!

BTW your contest tank is looking good!!! Following along