Innovative Marine Aquariums

[Fluconazole Vs Bryopsis] "We're getting out" FAIL- IM 25 Lagoon

lkoechle

I got this pic from my husband.  He did a "meet & greet" before we started acclimating last night. I think everyone was a little confused. lol

33177404552_070d2d2f36_c.jpg

Also, my wirless card for the vortech arrived.  Ecotech's direction were easy to follow and the chip was easy to install.  So it's all good on that front.  

We ordered our CUC tonight and I ordered the hydrofill Ti controller from Marine Depot and that should be here tomorrow.

The Hydor's sensor is too delayed for our pump and is over filling which led us to our decision to buy a new controller for this tank.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
Christopher Marks

Great clownfish pair, they have nice markings!

Your kids are cute, I bet you're all looking forward to getting that cast taken off. Tomorrow is the big day?

• Like 1
Just now, Christopher Marks said:

Great clownfish pair, they have nice markings!

Your kids are cute, I bet you're all looking forward to getting that cast taken off. Tomorrow is the big day?

yep, and we are so ready to be done. lol  He's been a good trooper there.  He really is an easy kid and doesn't complain ever.  could have been worse for sure. 

• Like 1

I fell behind but I'm caught up now. I haven't laughed this hard just from reading tank thread updates in a long time :lol:

I love the clowns! How are you liking the Nanobox? 

• Like 2
charlesncharge
6 hours ago, teenyreef said:

I fell behind but I'm caught up now. I haven't laughed this hard just from reading tank thread updates in a long time :lol:

^

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

The picture with the betta and the clowns is too cute lol.  Beautiful clownfish!

Thank you.  My LFS was BAMF on the clowns.  Three pairs I wanted were already sold.  They had this extreme Mocha Vinci pair that was to die for! This regular pair that were also stunningly beautiful. And  another pair that were like an inverted da vinci.  I have never seen anything like those ones.

They were totally rocking with clowns. I mixed and matched these dudes. lol

9 hours ago, teenyreef said:

Glad to be of comedic service. lol

I really like the NanoBox so far.  I definitely think its the most "disco" light I have had but thats never bothered me since I think it looks like sunlight glittering down.  I find the shimmering attractive.  It definitely has spread, thats for sure.  I am anxious to see what coral does under it.  I do wish the Bluefish app had a desktop component to make fine tuning easier but @SpencerShepard said thats something potentially in the works.  I do like all the features though.  So far it beats AI for me which is the only other light I have experience with.

• Like 1
charlesncharge
4 hours ago, lkoechle said:

Thank you.  My LFS was BAMF on the clowns.  Three pairs I wanted were already sold.  They had this extreme Mocha Vinci pair that was to die for! This regular pair that were also stunningly beautiful. And  another pair that were like an inverted da vinci.  I have never seen anything like those ones.

They were totally rocking with clowns. I mixed and matched these dudes. lol

Glad to be of comedic service. lol

I really like the NanoBox so far.  I definitely think its the most "disco" light I have had but thats never bothered me since I think it looks like sunlight glittering down.  I find the shimmering attractive.  It definitely has spread, thats for sure.  I am anxious to see what coral does under it.  I do wish the Bluefish app had a desktop component to make fine tuning easier but @SpencerShepard said thats something potentially in the works.  I do like all the features though.  So far it beats AI for me which is the only other light I have experience with.

It beats AI because of the features or just the look of it? Which AI did you have?

10 minutes ago, charlesncharge said:

It beats AI because of the features or just the look of it? Which AI did you have?

I had the original AI SOL blues.  I like the features as well as the look.  AI continues to be clunkier than the rest and they have super crappy customer service.

I received my IM Hydrofill TI ATO controller today and I am thrilled.  I was very apprehensive because our pump puts out a lot of water fast and the problem with the Hydro Smart Level ATO, while a great ATO controller I wouldn't hesitate to recommend, our pump pumped faster than it could detect.  In a larger sumped system that doesn't matter, but it most certainly does in an AIO with limited "overflow" capacity.

What I like about the Hydrofill TI:

• probes are removable
    • great for cleaning
    • great for running the cables through the back of the stand (ie you don't have to worry about damaging the probe because you have to snake it up the back to the tank)
  • No calibration time (unlike the SmartLevel which does need to calibrate itself everytime power is cut to it)
    • as soon as I turned power on to it, the water began filling (I let the tank get low so I could immediately test it).  I was very surprised.
  • No delay
    • As soon as it hit the "high" sensor it shut right off.  I blinked, and it was done.  The SmartLevel waits about 3 to 4 seconds which can be costly in a small tank.

What I don't like about the Hydrofill TI:

• No high water alarm
    • While this was an annoying feature of the SmartLevel due to it overfilling in the small tank, I liked the piece of mind it gave me on my larger tank for having an audible alarm that something was wrong.
    • To remedy this issue, my husband and I are going to look into seeing if we can program an "If Then" statement from the apex using the 2016 Apex's ability to monitor power draw.  So, for example, If the ATO is drawing power for more than X seconds Then trigger an alarm or something.
    • Our other thought is to hook up the SmartLevel purely for the alarm, but I don't like that idea for a few reasons.
  • Like 1

Okay so this awesome. 

One of the "new fancy" things with the 2016 Apex is the EB8-32 (powerbar) can monitor individual outlet consumption.  So, I was actually looking on Marine Depot's site to see how the .5 compared to the 1.5 (I was thinking about running two .5) when the power consumption table reminded me of this feature.  And one of the number one indicators of a malfunctioning product is power draw, which is why neptune made this addition to the new Apex.  So I popped on over to the apex to see what the return pump was doing and: 

33223558891_7ac7fb9f24_b.jpg

32968598420_cd749e43b3.jpg

Power draw on the return is 34 Watts! It's only suppose to be drawing 23!

First of all, its concrete, not subjective, evidence that the pump is not functioning properly.  Secondly, seriously, how cool of a new feature is that?  I never thought that could or would be useful.

This makes me feel very validated and not insane.  I only wish I had the Apex set up with the first Sicce as well to be able to compare.

PS ignore my salinity reading, I haven't calibrated yet.  Its still on the to-do list.

• Like 2

Wow, that really is cool! I always thought the power consumption monitoring feature in the new Apex was more of a "nice to have", but that's a great example of how useful it can be.

• Like 1

Everyone loves a photo dump!

We got our CUC from Reef Cleaners earlier this week. I let my 3 year old help me unpack it.

33299841951_7e600e8045_c.jpg

He was a little weirded out by the feel of the hermits.  He named them "Chewie".  We don't know why.

33428196785_85995fd262_c.jpg

33272482462_020b507cf6_c.jpg

Playing with extra shells.

33272520662_7fd4ca6652_c.jpg

My one year old diggin' the tank.  She's so cute about the fish and squeals when she sees them.  Both of them love both the tanks.  I love being able to share this with them.

While testing the tank yesterday, I noticed a nekkid crab moving house.

33272516122_fc12806244_c.jpg

Crab is on top of the house.

33299880481_88c5c93a53_c.jpg

Reach!

33299878911_1a4dbce5cf_c.jpg

Moving in!

33299877581_f0e6963a62_c.jpg

All moved in.

Salt tank is chugging along.  Had a teeny (barely measurable) nitrite spike.  I think feeding mysis (and thereby feed twice a day) was too much with the recent addition of the CUC.  So clowns are on a "pellet by pellet" diet until the biofilter has picked up the slack there.  No ammonia and nitrates were 10ppm.  So, we seem to be chugging along as long as I keep my desire to feed heavy in check.

And I got some goodies for my betta tank.  Which is officially a community tank.

I got some plants, a mystery snail (Schrodinger.  The associate said "it might be alive, it might not." He's alive.), two pygmy corydoras (sold as habrosus but I'm pretty sure they are plateaus which may out grow my tank, we'll see.), and an African Dwarf Frog.  This completes my betta set-up.  Except maybe more plants in the future...  Ignore the floating plants, they since have been better planted lol

Everyone has been getting along really well and they interact with each other which is even more interesting.  Mizuchi (betta) has a calm curiosity. 12 Gauge Paige and Karate Hottie (the corydoras) just get in everything's way and the ADF (yet to be named) is actually much more outgoing than the internet says he should be.  He usually hangs out in one of the corners but hides under the bridge or in the spirit house when he needs a break.  Sometimes with, and sometimes without, Mizuchi himself.

Everyone is eating and loving life.  I have some dedicated frog food on the way but he is pigging out on the mysis... and so is everyone else. lol

And Schrodinger is a snail.  Not much to be said there.  Anyways, pictures.

33428166075_8df026b895_c.jpg

Full tank, still a little hazy from planting when I took this. (or attempted planting...)

33272503362_ab175414cc_c.jpg

African Dwarf Frog

33272508052_7eea6647ac_c.jpg

Mizuchi

33387747336_5959c7c4e6_c.jpg

12 Gauge Paige and Karate Hottie

33045151570_815092c7ca_c.jpg

Schrodinger

33299873161_397ee8a833_c.jpg

Group shot! lol I had to take it quick 'cause the cories do not sit!

This is my first (outside of childhood half gallon betta bowl) attempt at freshwater.  So, if you have criticism, please phrase it nicely.  I've tried to do research but freshwater is sooo much harder to sift through since it's "simpler".

I'm going to be leaving for a three day trip this week (Friday evening through Sunday evening) to spend in Georgia.  My Grandpa, who is pretty much my dad, is turning 89!  What a golden oldie!  But I hope everyone will be in good hands with my mom.  I made it KISS for her and she knows and respects my... "OCD"-ness for things.

33300306371_ddce1c0906_c.jpg

My Papi during WWII.  Handsome devil :wub:

• Like 3
On 3/8/2017 at 2:19 PM, lkoechle said:

Tank's been cycled for a few days.  I had a horrible day yesterday that consisted of my 3 year old painting in poop and as a result of needing to clean that and take care of my 1 year old, I didn't get to eat ANYTHING until 3 pm.  And I get HANGRY.  

Well, my husband came home with chick-fil-a for everyone and then the most beautiful words he can say, "Do you want to go to the fish store and get your clowns?"  UM YES! I most certainly do.

Introducing Helo and Athena (aka Boomer or Sharon or Cylon B****, whatever you prefer) They are a Black Ice and a Mocha Ice.  Athena is the Mocha Ice and Helo is the Black Ice.  I'll be interested to see how their colors change as they mature.  I hope Helo continues  to retain some orange and I hope Athena blackens up a bit on top like our past mochas.  They're very friendly and Athena is totally top B.  Fearless and no hiding from these guys even with the big camera out which my other clowns have ran away from in the past.  

33284768736_056dee8243_c.jpg

Athena up front, Helo behind

33325454845_e0012be9fc_c.jpg

Helo up front, Athena behind

33170276732_f38b737214_c.jpg

Helo

33170297562_1603d7f248_c.jpg

Athena

I really love the helmets on these guys.  And I think its cute that Helo's is blunt over the head while Athena has an inverted "M".  It's cute and they're mine.  So far there seems to be a lot of submission twitching from Helo, which is good to see, I think they'll pair and get along better than my last clowns.

This morning though my son (the poop painter) taught me some things while we were listening to Prince Royce in front of the reef tank:

Son: *watch clowns play in the pump stream*  Look!  Feeshies dancing! Blub, blub, blub, dance, dance, dance!

Me: Oh they are?

Son: Yeah! *points towards the kitchen where the betta tank is* Feeshy Friend (thats what he calls the betta) is singing!

Moral of the story:  Clownfish dance and bettas sing.

7df2f065e044d6f93149fceaedc23c5695642413

Your kids are adorable and those fish are really beautiful!!!

• Like 1

What a great update! I love the FW tank, you have selected a nice group of inhabitants. We have several betta tanks but they are all solo residents.

• Like 1
51 minutes ago, Weetabix7 said:

Your kids are adorable and those fish are really beautiful!!!

Thank you to both! 

23 minutes ago, teenyreef said:

What a great update! I love the FW tank, you have selected a nice group of inhabitants. We have several betta tanks but they are all solo residents.

Yeah, I really love bettas but wanted a little more for the Edge since it has more room.  I read on a betta forum that corydoras and African Dwarf Frogs make great co-habitants for bettas.  So far that's true.  I really love the cories, they are so active and cute and seem to make awesome tank cleaners so far.  I haven't had any pickiness with any of the new guys.  I got the Edge from Craigslist for $20 and I think it makes an awesome "mini" community betta tank.

• Like 2

Well, I had a terrible day with the kids.  So, we went to the fish store for a pick me up and picked me up some coral!

Just some cheap SPS to see how the tank's doing before the big show (and big spend) in May.  I don't know what the acro is.  The dude at the store says it's the boss's baby, he rarely frags the colony and this was one of the two frags.  The other frag the guy I was talking to had taken it home to his tank the day before.  He's not one for names, so he doesn't know what it is.  But we got it at a discount due to the boss not being there and it having some tissue die off/damage.  ($10, can't complain, should be fine anyhow) He said it's colored up really well in his tank in the couple days he's had it.  We'll see. My husband wanted it.  He was really taken with it for some reason.

The other frag we brought home was a sunset monti (also $10).  It's color isn't great, but it will grow out.  It's oranger than the photo.

These were taken maybe 5 minutes in the tank.  Hopefully there will be some polyp extension tomorrow.  I'll take more pics then if they're looking happier.

SUNSET MONTI:

33538978276_cd30461338_c.jpg

MYSTERY ACRO (same acro, weird lighting):

33538978196_4eafa9e44b_c.jpg

33538978846_baa5ea83ee_c.jpg

So, we finally officially have a "reef"!  Yay!

I still need to buy my "SPS gear".  I'm flying blind on my ca alk and mg so I need that kit, seachem reef plus (my corals really liked it in my last tank), my 2 part and slim dosing containers.  Those will be purchased next month.

• Like 7

And a family picture from the successful birthday trip.  If you were curious what happened to that handsome man 72 years later lol

17424740_10210630340967331_6714020709992

• Like 5
9 hours ago, Christopher Marks said:

Great looking frags, not a bad price either. A wise move to test the waters  with a few frags drums.gif before investing in more too!

Love the photo of the family :) 

The tank gods demand sacrifice. :P

2 hours ago, Pjanssen said:

Still just as handsome.

He is.  <3  I think my son looks a lot like him.  He is also where both our kids get their hazel eyes from.

• Like 1