Cultivated Reef

[Fluconazole Vs Bryopsis] "We're getting out" FAIL- IM 25 Lagoon

lkoechle

4 hours ago, NanoSteve said:

@lkoechle any update on that noisy 1.5 Sicce?

4 hours ago, NanoSteve said:

Also, updated FTS needed... We knows you have feesh and corals in there now:P

Eh... Its still noisy.  2 pumps and 1 new impeller later :( I am done fighting with it so i am going to see if it just needs a long break in time which would be dumb, but whatever. (not a mature response I know lol the inner 12 year old is coming out where the pump is concerned).  I am thinking about switching the return lines from the stock vinyl to soft silicone and see if that does anything but thats a fight for another day/week/month/year.

Right now I am banging my head over the dreaded ghost skimmer microbubbles. lol  I am actually writing this while waiting for the bubbles to disappear so I can turn it back on and see if my "fix" worked.  Skimmers are such finnicky pieces of equipment.  My vertex was the bomb but so many times I just wanted to throw it off a roof.

32784134994_04c2c25ccc_k.jpg 

Your FTS.

And another FTS.  I bought a pandora island yesterday.  I dont know what its called.  But the floating mossball reminded me of avatar.  so its a "Pandora Island"

32784266724_a322f798e6_k.jpg

• Like 6

Not satl water, but my little frog isnt doing so hot.  He is still eating like a champ, but is spending a lot of the time at the surface and isnt shedding well. :(

Everything in the tank is good, but I did a hail mary anyways and did a 50% change.  Only time will tell I suppose.  The internet isn't very useful.  All of the things it could be, I am having trouble finding photos for.  It also seems the remedies are few to non-existent.  So we'll see.  I really like this little frog, I really dont want to lose him.  

For the reef tank, its chugging along.  I got my reef kit today so I will be testing ca, alk, mg and we'll see where we really are.  I also got my reef plus, my part 1 and 2 and my brs containers so I am all ready for dosing when the time comes.  I also got some reef chili. I've never used it so I am interested in seeing the results.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, lkoechle said:

Not satl water, but my little frog isnt doing so hot.  He is still eating like a champ, but is spending a lot of the time at the surface and isnt shedding well. :(

Everything in the tank is good, but I did a hail mary anyways and did a 50% change.  Only time will tell I suppose.  The internet isn't very useful.  All of the things it could be, I am having trouble finding photos for.  It also seems the remedies are few to non-existent.  So we'll see.  I really like this little frog, I really dont want to lose him.  

For the reef tank, its chugging along.  I got my reef kit today so I will be testing ca, alk, mg and we'll see where we really are.  I also got my reef plus, my part 1 and 2 and my brs containers so I am all ready for dosing when the time comes.  I also got some reef chili. I've never used it so I am interested in seeing the results.

Aw, poor little frog!  He's an African Dwarf Frog, right?  I've always loved the little guys but not had lots of success with them.  The one I had which did the best was in a little betta cube with I don't remember what (probably java fern).  Hope he pulls through!

10 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

Aw, poor little frog!  He's an African Dwarf Frog, right?  I've always loved the little guys but not had lots of success with them.  The one I had which did the best was in a little betta cube with I don't remember what (probably java fern).  Hope he pulls through!

Yeah.  whats frustrating is I dont know why he is dying.  I am pretty sure he will due before the weekend.  He isn't eating now.

Water parameters are good, the tankmates all get along, I target feed with tongs so I know he eats, and i target feed everything to reduce waste, I did a 50% water change yesterday and I do a 30% water change every week.   I hate cases like these because I don't know if he was already like this or if its something I did.  

My brother in law keeps two in a flower vase, never changes the water and puts an entire cube of blood worms in there every day.  It frustrating that those frogs are living and mine is dying, you know?  I know you know, because we've all experienced this in our tanks.  It never gets any less frustrating... :(  To be fair, he has only had his frogs a little longer than mine.  

• Like 1

one bit of solace for you and me though is it seems on a few ADF threads they have had two or three frogs die before they found ones who lived for more than a couple of months.  probably has to do with breeding quality I would expect.  TBH I dont know where to get them other than petsmart and their source is probably the same as any other LFS.

He died :(  

On the bright side my pump finally decided to be quiet... er.  Its not as quiet as I think it should be, but its a definite improvement! 

• Like 1

Quick update: 

I got all ny SPS stuff last week.  I am not happy with my Ca Alk Mg results but haven't done anything to change them yet.  I want to test again before changing anything and am waiting till friday.  Just because I can. No special reason.

The sunset monti is definitely recovering and growing quickly.  I love encrusting montis for that.  The acro I dont know what its doing.  Polyp extension is still so so, and I cant tell if its recovering or not. At least it isnt getting worse anytime fast so thats one good thing.

I did up my lights because I forgot the intensity was probably too low.  I will just be clever here and say I was "acclimating".  But they were at around 40% I have them bumped up to 65% now which is "ideal" according to @DaveFason's documentation.  It sits about 8 inches off the water.  I am not sure, I will have to peruse more lagoons or similar depth tanks to see what others are running their Duos at. The acro has seemed happier since changing the light intensity.  That was about 3 days ago.

Anyone have any input on this?

I was also on DD last night and this happened:

Untitled-3.jpg.24fa508a83b4f47264d2c0d517fe8e92.jpg.8fcf81669bb0a28f26d78b33315fd394.jpg

They will be here tomorrow! w00t!

I also got 2 new froggies for my freshwater tank while the dogs were at the vet (we use petsmart vet).  Comparing these guys to my previous frog, I think my first was suffering prolonged starvation.  These guys were so much fatter than him.  That makes me feel a little better that the first guy might have been in a downward spiral before I even got him.

I have only gotten one to eat mysis from the tongs so far.  The other one is very hidey.  But I havent even had them for 24 hrs yet so I am not too concerned. I am going to try to feed them more later.  My husband wanted me to get two instead of one, I definitely think the tank is at max now so I am keeping a closer eye on the parameters.

• Like 3
On 4/5/2017 at 10:19 AM, lkoechle said:

Quick update: 

I got all ny SPS stuff last week.  I am not happy with my Ca Alk Mg results but haven't done anything to change them yet.  I want to test again before changing anything and am waiting till friday.  Just because I can. No special reason.

The sunset monti is definitely recovering and growing quickly.  I love encrusting montis for that.  The acro I dont know what its doing.  Polyp extension is still so so, and I cant tell if its recovering or not. At least it isnt getting worse anytime fast so thats one good thing.

I did up my lights because I forgot the intensity was probably too low.  I will just be clever here and say I was "acclimating".  But they were at around 40% I have them bumped up to 65% now which is "ideal" according to @DaveFason's documentation.  It sits about 8 inches off the water.  I am not sure, I will have to peruse more lagoons or similar depth tanks to see what others are running their Duos at. The acro has seemed happier since changing the light intensity.  That was about 3 days ago.

Anyone have any input on this?

I was also on DD last night and this happened:

Untitled-3.jpg.24fa508a83b4f47264d2c0d517fe8e92.jpg.8fcf81669bb0a28f26d78b33315fd394.jpg

They will be here tomorrow! w00t!

I also got 2 new froggies for my freshwater tank while the dogs were at the vet (we use petsmart vet).  Comparing these guys to my previous frog, I think my first was suffering prolonged starvation.  These guys were so much fatter than him.  That makes me feel a little better that the first guy might have been in a downward spiral before I even got him.

I have only gotten one to eat mysis from the tongs so far.  The other one is very hidey.  But I havent even had them for 24 hrs yet so I am not too concerned. I am going to try to feed them more later.  My husband wanted me to get two instead of one, I definitely think the tank is at max now so I am keeping a closer eye on the parameters.

Tomorrow was yesterday! Any pictures of the new residents?!

• Like 1
1 minute ago, NanoSteve said:

Tomorrow was yesterday! Any pictures of the new residents?!

Sort of.  I can't upload from my phone so I will do an update tonight. :P

I have also been waiting for the puffer to come out more for better pics. lol

50 minutes ago, lkoechle said:

Sort of.  I can't upload from my phone so I will do an update tonight. :P

I have also been waiting for the puffer to come out more for better pics. lol

Ooooh, looking forward to the update!!

• Like 1

So! Here's the down and dirty:

I'm going to get written up for stalking by my UPS. lol j/k  But I spooked her when I opened the door for her to receive the fishes.  

Everything looked good. Then I opened the box.

One bag was on top of all the packing peanuts, on its side, with a heat pack on it. :-/  

At first, I didn't realize this was a fish because they shouldn't be packed like that and the bag was blacked out.

Well, I opened it up and it was the wrasse.  He was alive but curled up on the bottom of the acclimation chamber.  I assumed/hoped he was just doing his dead wrasse thing but sadly, he never recovered and I found him dead this morning.  I didn't update last night because I was waiting to see how the wrasse would fair.  But, tbh, @teenyreef was in the know.  You see, the puffer sat in crap in her bag and had a dirty bottom so I asked teeny about it. lol  From what I've observed at least, these little puffers like to perch on things or hug things and when she does it in the sand bed, her stomach is covered in sand.  So when I first saw her, she was covered in poop. lol

But the puffer is fine.  

33741870702_b664c0d847_c.jpg

How the wrasse came out of the bag :(

33513457200_aac9663883_c.jpg

The wrasse curled like that the entire acclimation time.  Usually, I find even the shyest fish starts investigating a little bit about 30 minutes into acclimating.  You can also see the poop on the puffer.

I called LA this morning and they were AMAZING about poor dead wrasse.  I also told them about the packaging and she thanked me for the info so they can address the issue to see if it was done by UPS or if it was an error on their part and how they can better pack the fish for transport.  Didn't even need a photo for the refund.  So easy, so hassle free.  Nothing like my issue with BZA.  I will have no problems using Diver's Den in the future.  (I like wysiwyg, so I'll probably never use the LA side).

After I got that taken care of, I had to go in for a CT scan (drinking barium is literally the sh*** and not in the good way) which sucks BUT the imaging place is right next to the fish store!!! :D

And there was an adorable 6 line.  I was talking to the owner and he said he hasn't seen a pink streak in several months so I decided to buy the 6 line instead of waiting for DD to get a pink streak or to see if my LFS could get one.

33513463150_a19936974f_c.jpg

I also got a $10 ponape.  It's still pissed from its dipping

33857364456_15887e890b_c.jpg

And Beard Boy (the young man who usually helps me at the LFS has such a sweet baby face with a mountain man beard) remembered the name of my el cheapo frag my husband wanted. It is an ORA Plum Crazy

33857386986_bae3da0b2e_c.jpg

ORA Plum Crazy

But this is the face we all want to see, isn't it?!

33054848744_7bda6ef890_c.jpg

33898185485_200f07b761_c.jpg

33741829862_e4d0502792_c.jpg

33857344486_aae1cb9fb1_c.jpg

Seriously, I nearly died from cuteness overload.  Cute in photos.  BUT OMG IN REAL LIFE?!  I just can't even!  She's still hiding behind the rocks mainly and she hasn't eaten yet.  But it seems like normal adjustment behavior.  I also got a list from the Live Aquaria rep of what they feed the Diver's Den puffers so I can run through that stuff if she still isn't eating in a couple of days.  But I'm confident she'll be fine :)

And the six line only has one blurry photo because you know, they have "asleep" mode which you can't find and ZOOM! mode which is always blurry.

33768926761_aff7d043c6_c.jpg

• Like 3

Awesome update:

Makoto is eating!  I named the puffer Makoto after Makoto Kino Aka Sailor Jupiter because my last "prize" fish was my scribbled rabbit named Usagi after Sailor Moon (Usagi is also rabbit in Japanese so it was just perfect lol).  Growing up, Sailor Moon was and still is one of my favorite shows.  I have all the mangas, action figures, etc. I love it.

Anyways, Sailor Jupiter is the largest girl in the show and the puffer due to her unique dimensions gives the appearance of being the largest in the tank and Jupiter was my second fav.

The wrasse is also eating and I named her Rei after Sailor Mars because she is the most likely to develop Mars' personality.  my husband is twlling himself I named her after star wars though -eye roll-

AND I have been worried about one of my new frogs because the largest has not been eating but its eating today!

ALL MY NEW ANIMALS ARE EATING!  HAPPY DAY!

Now for big water changes since I got a little carried away. :P

• Like 3

Holy wow, so much happening!!!

So sad about the Pink Streaked Wrasse. 

I like them & will hopefully get one someday. 

But Makoto is AMAZING, OMG!!!!!!!

And that's so great that she's already eating!!!

And the froggies too!!!

Very, very cool. 

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, Shoob1e said:

Like the names I named my first pair of clowns i have asuna and Kirito lol, little puffer is awesome. 

lol I think I have only watched the first season... Maybe the second I lost interest in (is that the fairy game?) or the new baby distracted me. I don't remember. 

I was on bed rest for the last week of my pregnancy because I was showing signs preterm labor at 37 weeks but we were able to keep her in until exactly 38.  So I binge watched a lot of anime since my husband doesn't watch it with me. lol  I loved Death Note too but I had to stop because it became too stessful in season 2. And, like I said, I was trying to keep a baby in the oven for a little longer. lol I heard they're making a live action of it.  And despite the proper reviews- a lot of my friends are saying the Ghost in the Shell movie is pretty good.

• Like 1

Those puppy dog eyes just kill me :wub:

I just finished binge watching Legend of Korra with my 11 year old daughter. And my wife. And after I caught my 18 year old son paying attention, he gave up pretending not to watch it by the third episode. 

• Like 2