Pod Your Reef

[Fluconazole Vs Bryopsis] "We're getting out" FAIL- IM 25 Lagoon

lkoechle

58 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

Aww she was so cute!  So sorry to hear that. :(

She was the most adorable. :(  Now I have to face the decision of do I do a @teenyreef and have makoto II? Or come up with a new name...  I have a while to sort this out.  The contest tank is going to take up my time, as well as some upcoming coral purchases.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, lkoechle said:

She was the most adorable. :(  Now I have to face the decision of do I do a @teenyreef and have makoto II? Or come up with a new name...  I have a while to sort this out.  The contest tank is going to take up my time, as well as some upcoming coral purchases.

Makotoii?  Makotii?  MakotoII? :lol:  Yeah getting two tanks up and running is kinda :bling:

• Like 1
Just now, Lula_Mae said:

Makotoii?  Makotii?  MakotoII? :lol:  Yeah getting two tanks up and running is kinda :bling:

Yeah... I'm feeling it. lol  I'm ignoring it too. lol Realistically, I have one purchase planned with @metrokat and then...  depending on after tonight's discussion I might just be going to reef-a-palooza to look and not buy anything.  And then I think we're on a spending hiatus. lol

• Like 2

I'm so sorry about Makoto :tears:

It really seems like she was not quite right even when you first got her - I remember you were concerned that she was "dirty" in the bag, which seemed to indicate maybe she was weakened and not swimming around in the bag. Neither of my Dougs seemed like that when they arrived. I think there probably wasn't anything you could have done beyond what you did.

• Like 1
Just now, teenyreef said:

I'm so sorry about Makoto :tears:

It really seems like she was not quite right even when you first got her - I remember you were concerned that she was "dirty" in the bag, which seemed to indicate maybe she was weakened and not swimming around in the bag. Neither of my Dougs seemed like that when they arrived. I think there probably wasn't anything you could have done beyond what you did.

That makes me feel a little better.  I was thinking maybe they were too stressed from improper shipping and she was just too weak. Still sucks.  I'm kind of thinking of a valentini puffer instead of a leopard due to availability.  They get a little larger.  What's your opinion?

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, lkoechle said:

That makes me feel a little better.  I was thinking maybe they were too stressed from improper shipping and she was just too weak. Still sucks.  I'm kind of thinking of a valentini puffer instead of a leopard due to availability.  They get a little larger.  What's your opinion?

I'd have to go back and review my research to be sure, but I think the valentini was a little less likely to be reef safe. But it may have more to do with the size of the tank. Since my tank is only 10g I didn't want to chance it with a valentini.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, teenyreef said:

I'd have to go back and review my research to be sure, but I think the valentini was a little less likely to be reef safe. But it may have more to do with the size of the tank. Since my tank is only 10g I didn't want to chance it with a valentini.

I'll have to do more research.  I have plenty of time.  I didn't think of that.  Since you know, live aquaria makes it sound the same. I don't really want to order online again.  Usagi (my rabbitfish from my 85) has been the only online ordered fish to live longer than a month (as far as I know, she's still alive.  I hope. she was my favorite :'( ) and that's out of like 6 fish now.  So, I'm just thinking online fish is not my gig.  

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Rain24 said:

So sorry to hear about your fish. But I would also like to say that your naming a clown pair Athena and Helo is just AWESOME!!!

My husband wanted to name her Boomer.  But I pointed out that would be Boomer and Chief.  Not Helo.  Helo never actually had a romantic relationship with Boomer.  All Athena.

4 minutes ago, lkoechle said:

My husband wanted to name her Boomer.  But I pointed out that would be Boomer and Chief.  Not Helo.  Helo never actually had a romantic relationship with Boomer.  All Athena.

"This equilibrium was disrupted when Boomer, the Raptor pilot he had formerly served with, impersonated his wife and allowed him to seduce her" - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karl_Agathon

Not all Athena...

• Like 1
Just now, skoechle said:

"This equilibrium was disrupted when Boomer, the Raptor pilot he had formerly served with, impersonated his wife and allowed him to seduce her" - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karl_Agathon

Not all Athena...

What are you doing on nano-reef?  Get back to work! 

PS your children (your 3 year old mainly) is a jerk.  and you never txted me back. Love you.

• Like 3
12 minutes ago, Bella's Reef said:

Sorry for the loss of Makoto, it is always a bad day to loose a fish especially with kids.

I was crying.  The toddler was the one telling me its okay with dry eyes. lol

• Like 3

So this is a quick side-by-side review of the Innovative Marine Media Basket vs the inTank Media basket.  Tank maintenance day gave a good opportunity to do some comparisons since the baskets are for both the IM 14 Peninsula and the IM 25 Lagoon. and the 14 is dry for the 100 days contest so I could take pictures of the baskets in the same tank.

So, the first thing almost anyone is going to notice is the price:

Innovative Marine Mediabasket: $24.99

inTank Innovative Marine Fusion Nano/Lagoon/Peninsula Media Basket: $42.99

So, the question a lot of people are going to have is: are inTank's baskets worth the cost? 

Well, I'm going to walk you through a comparison and then give you my personal opinion on the two products.

34363297685_727b1e66aa_c.jpg

In the first image, you can see both products have pretty much the same design.  IM has two more grooves so you can move the moveable shelf to a height you prefer. But you can see the IM basket is both narrower and shorter than inTank's.  

33552681763_00521b136d_c.jpg

In this image you can see the difference in acrylic.  The inTank acrylic is thicker and over all just has a much sturdier feel than IM.  A difference I noticed that I was not able to get good photos of is inTank is made of less individual pieces so there are less places for it to break or come apart (ie the back is one continuous piece while IM's is 2 different pieces).  I will not be surprised if I accidentally break the top of the IM basket at some point.

33521110834_dee7616766_c.jpg

This is the IM basket in the rear chamber.  As you can see there is a lot of gap everywhere.  It's very wiggly in the back chamber and not a snug fit.

34363262935_bb5b6a1378_c.jpg

This is the inTank media basket.  What I like about inTank's basket is it takes a little push to get it down and fills the entire chamber. More filling IMO means more contact with your filter media.

Personal Opinion:

The inTank basket is superior in quality and design to the IM basket and deserves its $42 price.  However, if you are on a budget and trying to save money, I also feel that IM's basket is priced appropriately given its quality compared to its competitor.  So, while I probably will upgrade to the inTank basket (because I'm sure at some point I will break the IM one), the IM media basket is a good budget conscious option.  I think a better price is $20 or $15, but you know what, It's still saving me almost $20 in the short run. So what ever.  

I'm happy with my purchases from both companies for their purpose.  I use two inTank baskets in my "prize" SPS tank and my contest tank is more budget friendly ergo more budget/lower quality items.  (this is x-posted to both my contest thread and my lagoon)

• Like 4
Weetabix7
2 minutes ago, lkoechle said:

too lazy/tired to make a proper post.  i will do one tomorrow with happier corals.

omgomgomg

The problem with this hobby:

We spent ~$180 on coral at Reefapalooza. I made one deal that saved us $5. @lkoechle later comments about how proud she is of her budget conscious husband (keep in mind these are all pretty much for her). I'm like our budget was $120... I told you that walking in the door... That's really not how its supposed to work!

• Like 5
Weetabix7
2 minutes ago, skoechle said:

The problem with this hobby:

We spent ~$180 on coral at Reefapalooza. I made one deal that saved us $5. @lkoechle later comments about how proud she is of her budget conscious husband (keep in mind these are all pretty much for her). I'm like our budget was $120... I told you that walking in the door... That's really not how its supposed to work!

Sooo...... ummm..... you realize you won't get any sympathy for that here, right? :huh:

• Like 6
1 minute ago, Weetabix7 said:

Sooo...... ummm..... you realize you won't get any sympathy for that here, right? :huh:

Oh yeah, just pointing out the completely backwards mindset you all champion and celebrate. :blink:

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Pjanssen said:

So bummed I couldn't go.

It was so crowded.  we got there at 11:05 and WAS NOT in the first 500.  first 1 to 2000 MAYBE. It was insane.

Still being lazy, better pictures forthcoming someday maybe. lol

• Like 2