Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

[Fluconazole Vs Bryopsis] "We're getting out" FAIL- IM 25 Lagoon

lkoechle

Just now, teenyreef said:

Those puppy dog eyes just kill me :wub:

I just finished binge watching Legend of Korra with my 11 year old daughter. And my wife. And after I caught my 18 year old son paying attention, he gave up pretending not to watch it by the third episode. 

lol Nickelodeon did a surprisingly good job with the Avatar shows.  I really like how it feels like a real world kind of like Game of Thrones.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, lkoechle said:

lol I think I have only watched the first season... Maybe the second I lost interest in (is that the fairy game?) or the new baby distracted me. I don't remember. 

I was on bed rest for the last week of my pregnancy because I was showing signs preterm labor at 37 weeks but we were able to keep her in until exactly 38.  So I binge watched a lot of anime since my husband doesn't watch it with me. lol  I loved Death Note too but I had to stop because it became too stessful in season 2. And, like I said, I was trying to keep a baby in the oven for a little longer. lol I heard they're making a live action of it.  And despite the proper reviews- a lot of my friends are saying the Ghost in the Shell movie is pretty good.

Yea it's the fairy tale one lol. Reminded me of wow a game so I was turned onto it. Death note was good too! In the middle no game no kill right now! Gl on your pregnancy 

12 minutes ago, Shoob1e said:

Yea it's the fairy tale one lol. Reminded me of wow a game so I was turned onto it. Death note was good too! In the middle no game no kill right now! Gl on your pregnancy 

Oh she has been here for a year now :P

• Like 1

So everything is lookin' good.  I mentioned last week I didnt like my levels.  what I also didnt mention is I was fairly sure I did them wrong but was too lazy to retest that night.

Well, I have something good cookin' for the tank so I need to make sure my levels are good now.  And they are.

this is what I ran my 85 at and what I am trying to do again:

calcium: 460

alk: 8

Magnesium: 1390

The 85 is what I consider my first successful reef so I am trying to emulate it.  The lagoon is measuring at:

So I am happy with those numbers.  I am sure they will shift to be "on point" as I manually alter them via dosing when the coral are consuming more than a water change replaces (which will hopefully be soon. its a good plan guys... really good)

Nitrates are holding at 10 which is what I like despite my heavier feedings.  So I am very happy with that.  

I am going to start testing weekly to see if I need to change my water change schedule to weekly with the new fish. I am lazy, so I am hoping not to but I probably will be.

Overall we are chugging right along and if I have my way, late April/May will be AMAZING.

• Like 2

I agree, those numbers should be right in the sweet spot. Of course I'm biased because they're pretty much what I shoot for in my tanks :lol:

• Like 1
13 hours ago, teenyreef said:

I agree, those numbers should be right in the sweet spot. Of course I'm biased because they're pretty much what I shoot for in my tanks :lol:

I am not surprised.  when I was planning my 85, I went back through all of the SPS heavy TotM and found what everyone is running at.  those are totm maker numbers :P

• Like 1

Just jottin' some thoughts down here so I don't forget. And now my son's just interuppted me to fill his sippy cup so I've forgotten.  

Ah! I have it again.

• ORA plum crazy is healing over the skeleton tips AND is coloring up.  There is some nice green developing on the tips.  Pretty encouraging that the tank is ready for some more expensive coral.
  • After reading @teenyreef's lights setting on the 10 and digging on NR it appears I need to bump up the light intesnity more.  I'm currently at the 65% factory settings.  I'm thinking 80 for rb, cyan, and violet, and 50 for white.  We'll see how it handles it and goes from there.  So I guess I will be upping levels slowly over the next few weeks.
  • This Friday (w/c and test day) I'm going to add more water into the tank to raise the level of the third chamber in my quest to destroy the micro bubbles.  @gone_PHiSHin had pointed out a steep drop in my third chamber could be the cause.  

Now, if I've forgotte any of this I can re-read it here!

• Like 3
  • Ponape Birdsnest is coloring up! It's developing a nice highlighter green-yellow.  It's interesting, I read anarticle on Advanced Aquarist that Ponape Birdsnest does not readily adapt to new zooxanthelle like most other corals can which is why different hobbyists have very different results.  This coral in my last tank didn't do anything really.  It didn't die, but it didn't thrive either.  So I'm very interested to see how it does in this tank.  The author also mentioned that they appear to adopt new zooxanthelle over a very long term and that through captive propogation, captive ponape birdsnest seem to adapt more readily than wild harvested specimens.  All in all, I thought it was interesting.  I have only a basic working knowledge of the coral/zooxanthelle relationship, so my synopsis is very much in lay terms. But it was a good read. (http://www.advancedaquarist.com/blog/birdsnest-corals-do-not-adapt-well-to-different-conditions)
  • New Puzzle:  
    • ca: 380
    • alk: 7.7
    • mg: 1480 <-- WHATISTHIS???  4 days earlier, my mg was 1400.  Why is it going up?  I redid the test 3 times. same result.
  • Makoto is eating more readily and is starting to explore some during "visiting" hours. I regularly catch her early in the morning or late at night exploring when no one can see her.
  • Metrokat is leaving me in suspense for like 4 days now...  Meanwhile I'm all like:

9e39442b741facd7d0b0e8ee0f5e11f3d3f63194

• Like 1

So you nabbed the wrasse from DD last week!! Sorry it didn't make it. I have one coming Friday from Live Aquaria, so hopefully it survives the trip! 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, kimberbee said:

So you nabbed the wrasse from DD last week!! Sorry it didn't make it. I have one coming Friday from Live Aquaria, so hopefully it survives the trip! 

yeah... wrasses can be so finnicky sometimes.  I hope yours does well!

New FTS:

33655540270_50b7c49361_c.jpg

33655533650_a75f8e73c1_c.jpg

Makoto

33910779971_e7d0cca4c3_c.jpg

Rei

33655537080_e2144fe58f_c.jpg

Athena and Helo

33999700846_3f123d22f4_c.jpg

So I think this is pretty cool.  This is the ORA Plum Crazy we bought about 3 weeks ago.  So, this is the first photo and a photo I took tonight.  You can clearly see the healing as well as the tips starting to turn green.

33655535060_c8a9bca68b_c.jpg

And this is the new ponape and you can see the green highlights starting

33910778511_c9847b67d6_c.jpg

My nitrates are measuring less than 10 so I think I'm going to skip the water change next week and see what happens.  Maybe I can go back to my every two weeks schedule.  Yay!

• Like 3
10 hours ago, Weetabix7 said:

LOVE the fishies, and those are definite coral improvements, so many good things happening in here!!!

Thanks!  I am pretty happy with how things are moving.

• Like 1

Haven't done an update in a while, so here it is:

Nothing too new to report.  Everything is chugging along.  The puffer stopped eating for a few days so I started dosing metroplex and focus and drowning the food/meds in SELCO.  It was really touch and go for a couple days.  She was hiding, not really swimming, feeling pretty poopy.  But the last two days she's been eating again, swimming, and coming to the front of the glass.  So I hope we're over it.  I'm going to keep dosing metroplex for two weeks per the directions. I also upped feedings to two to three times a day to give her the most opportunities to eat and continue to get better.

Here's an FTS with a thankfully healthy Makoto (I have been praying for this fish every day, and I still am.  Probably won't feel comfortable for a few weeks):

[34070776991_cb294d3a48_c.jpg

And some pics of my betta tank because I love it:

33817391110_6964c4d3e8_c.jpg

33817375110_c226e4f718_c.jpg

Right now, there is a giant frag rack in the middle of the lagoon.  I'm stock piling for the 100 days of nanos contest because reef a palooza is happening BEFORE the start date now. grrr thats okay.  Its all good... maybe. PS YOU SHOULD LOOK AT MY THREAD  FOR THAT, ITS IN THE SIGNATURE!!!!

I also have another "thing" in the works for the Lagoon:

• Kittiyagi 
  • Pink Lemonade acro
  • Katropora 
  • Route 66 Phoenix Monti
  • Bali Green Slimer

All from Ms @metrokat  SO EXCITED!  And we have a list of corals we're looking for at Reef-a-Palooza.  So, yeah, super fun reefy things going on here.

• Like 4

makoto died last night :(  She was swimming weird and then this morning I found her on the vortech.  So we started the morning lots of tears and hugs from 3 year old saying "Aw mommy, its okay"

Super disappointed.  But I really cant think of anything else I could have done. Everyone else is looking great, acting and eating normally.  

For now, I am going to focus on the contest tank and coral for the lagoon.  Then in a few weeks see if an LFS can order me a new leopard toby and maybe keep it for a couple weeks to make sure its healthy and eating before I buy it.

So sad today :(

9 minutes ago, Pjanssen said:

:tears: Sorry to hear this.

She was super cute and sweet :(  She was even starting to come.out with everyone else and beg for food when people walked by.  She was my favorite.  

On 4/25/2017 at 8:05 AM, lkoechle said:

makoto died last night :(  She was swimming weird and then this morning I found her on the vortech.  So we started the morning lots of tears and hugs from 3 year old saying "Aw mommy, its okay"

Super disappointed.  But I really cant think of anything else I could have done. Everyone else is looking great, acting and eating normally.  

For now, I am going to focus on the contest tank and coral for the lagoon.  Then in a few weeks see if an LFS can order me a new leopard toby and maybe keep it for a couple weeks to make sure its healthy and eating before I buy it.

So sad today :(

Oh NO!!!!

Great big stinkin' poopy DONKEY TURDS, I DO NOT LIKE this, not at all!!!!!

Ugh. 

I'm sorry. :grouphug:

It's like you said, I know you did everything right and that's all you really can do. 

Very sorry. 

Poop. 

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Weetabix7 said:

Oh NO!!!!

Great big stinkin' poopy DONKEY TURDS, I DO NOT LIKE this, not at all!!!!!

Ugh. 

I'm sorry. :grouphug:

It's like you said, I know you did everything right and that's all you really can do. 

Very sorry. 

Poop. 

Well, tell us how you really feel.

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, Pjanssen said:

Well, tell us how you really feel.

Well she did pretty well verbalize how I  feel. With less tears. 

• Like 2