Innovative Marine Aquariums

Leather-n-lace

StinkyBunny

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to all for your kind words, Benny was truly one-of-a-kind and I miss the little guy something fierce. He was my copilot for damn near 14 years, made 4 HALO jumps with me and we went to 11 different states in the union, not many people have been to that many states.

I ordered a 10l container of Siporax, the Aussies seem to think it's the cats whiskers. We're gonna see how this pans out. I've been running 5l of Matrix on one of the fish systems and there's not a whole hell of a lot of algae growth in that system. Maybe that's the issue, we need more bacterial surface area. We're going to deploy it at a rate of 1l/100l of water.

Yes, They do Become family for sure!

We lost a Golden Rtrvr and she was only 8!! She should have lived much longer.

Kidney Failure. We blame Beneful dog food to her early demise.

My best suggestion regarding food...READ the label!

Again, I am very sorry to hear about the loss of Benny!

Our Hearts, and Thoughts go out to you at this time. :grouphug::flower:

• Like 1

Our guys get the best of everything when it comes to food. They get 12 fish oils per day, this is ABSOLUTELY necessary when you have a Lab, they need the oils for their coats. They get eggs 2x a week for the same reason, dogs need those extra EFAs for coat and skin. Astinus, I wouldn't feed a damn thing that Purina or Blue Buffalo makes, period. Our main dry kibble is Nature's Variety foods mixed with Moo juice, beef broth with scrambled eggs, think beef egg drop soup. The boxer peoples are picky eaters and Moo juice makes Joey eat. Here's a shot of how nice Katie's coat is.

legs491.jpg

• Like 3

I totally hear ya Stinky! NEVER AGAIN!

We just got a Great Pyrenees Puppy. We got him at 10 weeks, he is now 5 months.

We are feeding him High end Large Breed Puppy food. Nulo.

And Eggs a few times a week as well for same reasons, their "Coats".

Pyres have 2 coats. An outer Shedding coat with a non shedding inner coat for Insulation.

http://dogtime.com/dog-breeds/great-pyrenees#/slide/1

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Pyrenees

• Like 1

Large breed puppy foods aren't always a great idea. They often make long bones grow too fast and while they help make bigger dogs, they may also contribute to joint issues. I raise Great Danes and never feed bagged puppy food. Giant breeds need to grow slowly. Talk to a vet/breeder who really knows large-giant breed dogs.

• Like 4

TYVM Slowtwitch! What do u feed ur GDs? I have heard and learned same from the Vet...I asked them about the Blue

"Wilderness" Large breed Puppy, Vet said that was fine, but now I am concerned. We really do want what is best for Thor, our

Puppy.

Yea, large breeds have to grow slow. Just feed them a good quality kibble. Extra eggs and other food is a good supplement.Our guys absolutely LOVE green beans out of a can, go figure.

• Like 2

Exactly as the Vet said! Grow Slow! Allow everything to accommodate the new growth.

Thor is growing length, width and then height. He is weighing about 55 lbs now.

Be careful with the Blue wilderness foods...they can sometimes cause digestive problems. There are a couple of different sites around that kind of "rank" dog foods; you should be able to find a good one. We use Nature's variety, which ranks pretty high. Merrick is a decent food, too. (I have no affiliation with either company, just 30 years vet tech experience)

Also, what Slowtwitch said is very true. Fast growth can lead to all sorts of problems, least of which is the potential for osteosarcoma in later life. Slow growth is best!

Also, studies are showing more that large/giant breeds are best to be neutered later rather than earlier...as in 2 or more years old vs 6 months. This helps with growth as well.

• Like 2

2 Boxers, Yes, we will neuter after 2 years so that Thor can get all the hormones he will need.

Can u link me please to that web site? We want to feed Thor the best that we can.

• Like 1

I Book marked that Link! Very helpful! TY!!! TY!!!

I Looked at the 2 different Puppy (large Breed) Foods that we are feeding. Both are on the good list...5 star rating.