Top Shelf Aquatics

Bloomin' Tank of GeNRosity

FlowerMama

I have my friends looking for a few things for me on Tues when they go to a wholesaler. Seeing if they can find me a light blue bubble coral, a yellow fiji leather and instead of wrasse, a baby long nose hawkfish. I love the red criss cross striping on them and I believe he'd be a beautiful addition to the tank. My friends have one and he's docile and causes no harm.

longnosehawk-042007_zpslgjbaqmq.gif

• Like 7

We get Longnose hawks in all the time, they go out quick. Longnose hawks are great. I've been trying to get the Dwarf Hi fin hawkfish out of The Philippines for a year with no luck. Now I have someone in Cebu that can go to the shipper and get them for me. If you feed a regular bubble coral green lipped mussels it will turn green. ;) It's very rare that I buy green ones, I buy the cheaper white ones and turn them green myself and pocket the money myself.

Green bubble

3T0hMps.jpg

Billy, named after Billy Idol. Great fish.

Lwsp0DE.jpg

• Like 6

We get Longnose hawks in all the time, they go out quick. Longnose hawks are great. I've been trying to get the Dwarf Hi fin hawkfish out of The Philippines for a year with no luck. Now I have someone in Cebu that can go to the shipper and get them for me. If you feed a regular bubble coral green lipped mussels it will turn green. ;) It's very rare that I buy green ones, I buy the cheaper white ones and turn them green myself and pocket the money myself.

Green bubble

3T0hMps.jpg

Billy, named after Billy Idol. Great fish.

Lwsp0DE.jpg

Nice Bubble! I have been feeding mine Spirulina Brine/Mysis and other foods mixed in.

Green Mussels U say? Is there a difference? I mean like the P.E.I Mussels? (Prince Edward Island)

jedimasterben

We get Longnose hawks in all the time, they go out quick. Longnose hawks are great. I've been trying to get the Dwarf Hi fin hawkfish out of The Philippines for a year with no luck.

You talking about the Plectranthias​ pygmy hawks? Those things are so friggin cool. Can't wait til the LFS gets more of those in.

Nice Bubble! I have been feeding mine Spirulina Brine/Mysis and other foods mixed in.

Green Mussels U say? Is there a difference? I mean like the P.E.I Mussels? (Prince Edward Island)

PEI mussels will work. The green lipped mussels come from New Zealand. Just make sure they're small pieces, 1/4" square a day is fine.

Is this it? I didn't know they stayed so small, 2".

http://www.bluezooaquatics.com/productDetail.asp?cid=10&did=1&pid=290

That's them, they go by a bunch of names, Geometric basslet, Pygmy hawk and Hifin perchlet depending on the price list. They're only known to The Philippine islands as far as I know.

• Like 1

My friends got me the long nose hawkfish. They visited Carolina Aquatics wholesaler, the one that first got the new wrasse they're showing at MACNA. Not the best weekend to check out a place the first time though, may things were shipped to MACNA. I totally forgot about that and so did they. It's eating, I pick it up on Sat. Didn't want to do another bagging today after it was just unbagged yest.

Looking forward to seeing him on Sat.

Then my fishy friends will be as follows in this 40g.

Kole tang

Royal Gramma

Starry Blenny

Pygmy cherub angelfish

Long Nose Hawkfish

Do you think one more would be too much? Everybody so far is friendly with each other.

• Like 5

My longnose Hawkfish was one of my favorite fish! His name was Red and he was like a tiny puppy when he would see me walking around in the room. Very personable and was always checking out what I was up to. He also loved to perch in the corner of the tank and watch TV with me when I had it on. It was hilarious, specially when we were watching football games. :lol: I cannot wait to get another some day!

• Like 4

My longnose Hawkfish was one of my favorite fish! His name was Red and he was like a tiny puppy when he would see me walking around in the room. Very personable and was always checking out what I was up to. He also loved to perch in the corner of the tank and watch TV with me when I had it on. It was hilarious, specially when we were watching football games. :lol: I cannot wait to get another some day!

My friend told me the same thing about hers, very personable, friendly.

i have always wanted a longnose after seeing one in plainart's tank. can't wait to see yours!

Yeah, first I was going to go w/ a wrasse that had red but then I thought the pattern would be so awesome. I hope he finds enough places to perch.

• Like 2

My friends got me the long nose hawkfish. They visited Carolina Aquatics wholesaler, the one that first got the new wrasse they're showing at MACNA. Not the best weekend to check out a place the first time though, may things were shipped to MACNA. I totally forgot about that and so did they. It's eating, I pick it up on Sat. Didn't want to do another bagging today after it was just unbagged yest.

Looking forward to seeing him on Sat.

Then my fishy friends will be as follows in this 40g.

Kole tang

Royal Gramma

Starry Blenny

Pygmy cherub angelfish

Long Nose Hawkfish

Do you think one more would be too much? Everybody so far is friendly with each other.

Cool...can't wait to see him! I'd probably stop at the fish you have unless you add a tiny goby or two. Definitely not anymore big fish. But that's just me :).
  • Like 2

I love long nosed hawkfish. Quite a few of the tanks I serviced had them. Thats probably because I had some sway about what went in them and I loved long nose hawkfish, ha ha. I can't wait to see yours.

• Like 2

I love long nosed hawkfish. Quite a few of the tanks I serviced had them. Thats probably because I had some sway about what went in them and I loved long nose hawkfish, ha ha. I can't wait to see yours.

I can't wait to see mine too!!

Cool...can't wait to see him! I'd probably stop at the fish you have unless you add a tiny goby or two. Definitely not anymore big fish. But that's just me :).

I was thinking of the radial filefish- grows to 3".

p-97294_Radialfish.jpg

• Like 6

That radial filefish is adorable. And longnose hawkfish are great. Nice choice for a percher. :happy:

Thank You. I love my perching blenny too. When I get the fish tomorrow it'll be the most fish I ever had in a reef tank at once.

• Like 2

I can't wait to see him!

Tomorrow sometime. They'll call me when I can pick him up!!! I'm excited. And none of my 20 anemones, including yours, have moved since I received yours! It has stayed put. Maybe the more anemones you have the more community they feel so they don't desire to move. I don't know. Probably not, I used to have a single one in my Evolve8 and it never moved.

• Like 1

Tomorrow sometime. They'll call me when I can pick him up!!! I'm excited. And none of my 20 anemones, including yours, have moved since I received yours! It has stayed put. Maybe the more anemones you have the more community they feel so they don't desire to move. I don't know. Probably not, I used to have a single one in my Evolve8 and it never moved.

omgomgomg

Maybe mine just needed some better behaved RFA's to set a good example :lol:

• Like 2

Still waiting for my friend's to call me so I can pick up my fish. But in the meantime here is a picture of my Starry Blenny. He's getting better at not swimming away as I quietly come up to the glass.

20160910_164903_zpsb8jhhlgv.jpg

20160910_171430_zpsgrs1y8ya.jpg

and pic of the cherub angel. I quickly turned on the picture mode as he was sleeping and I didn't want to wake him but this was the best pic so far of this little guy.

20160907_071125_zps42myou3s.jpg

20160910_171220_zpsqpydrle0.jpg

• Like 6