Cultivated Reef

Bloomin' Tank of GeNRosity

FlowerMama

Well, I think red one is gone. I guess the harlequin ate him. But I still love my harlequin.....I just need to replace my cuc much more often as he picks his escargot one at a time out of their shells.

• Like 1

After a few days of feeding, nitrate up at 40, really fast as you don't have the filtration of sand and rock. So I try to do a water change every 3 days. Zero nitrate from the big tank going in as the refiill water for the QT.

• Like 2

After a few days of feeding, nitrate up at 40, really fast as you don't have the filtration of sand and rock. So I try to do a water change every 3 days. Zero nitrate from the big tank going in as the refiill water for the QT.

I think the fish I'm trying to save are just too far gone and I end up losing them because I do check ammonia throughout and that isn't ever an issue.
  • Like 1

I was just so shocked as I got the gramma & the angel the same time, shared the same tank when I picked them up and bam! he turns up all sorts of white one day and nothing w/ the angel. Just bizarre. Sometimes who knows what's going on.

• Like 1

You saw video the other day of the fish being happy in QT. Now some tank shots. I'm happy that the duncan is doing much better. Softball size again .

20161014_184109_zps3fyotwvt.jpg

20161014_184128_zpsf2gmit6e.jpg

20161014_184018_zps5gmvn3xc.jpg

And I love this branching gsp!! It has grown fast and from one little piece w/ 2 ends it has now 7 separate ends reaching up.

20161014_184315_zps0x713xef.jpg

• Like 7

Whoo Hoo!!!!!!!!! 2 of them. omgomgomg The one that looked like jewels when it was under colored and a dark one w/ a green outside. So far I know I have 2 males!!! I started crying. I'm so happy.

• Like 7

That is the one that looked like this now..

20160515_180843_zpsvaebf3x6.jpg

and before when it really shocked me..looking grey

20160420_202751_zpsufqalfeh.jpg

and then zooming in and being blown away!!

20160420_184254_zps8md2abjr.jpg

20160420_184318_zpshx5awez8.jpg

So I'll be curious.

Oh, and the other video now. You can't see it but 2 nems over the one above was still spawning a little.

• Like 6

So cool! How rare is this? What do you think triggered the spawning?

I had to wait for them to become mature. It's not rare, seems nems 2-2.5" and over will spawn. It's not so easy to take care of the babies as they're so tiny. So I can't remember exactly but 6-8 wks later babies should be crawling out of mama's mouths. But typically it can happen around full moons, we just had one Saturday night. I have 21 nems and have 4 that haven't yet grown to 2". Now I have 5 confirmed males.

And now those that are spawning, should continue to spawn every couple mos.

Mine were spawning yesterday night when I was doing a water change! At first I thought something was wrong and started sucking up all the milky stuff...then I realized they were spawning. I am such an idiot =(.

Oops. How many do you have now? You probably didn't suck up everything so still have hope.

I should have turned off my skimmer and hob right away, but I didn't. W/ all these water changes in using this tank water to replenish the QT, this water is zero nitrates so turning those off for a couple days shouldn't hurt the tank. Flow is still going.

Now I can't wait til I have babies and in fact am Bloomin"!!!!!! Thank you everybody for helping me get off the ground when I electrocuted the previous nems. I cried like I was mourning and sick to my stomach, knowing there was nothing I could do to help them. Love you all! :wub::grouphug:

• Like 7

Oh my! YW Mama. I remember when this thread started...have been here along for the trip.

I wish u continued success in the future to come! :flower:

• Like 1

Oh my! YW Mama. I remember when this thread started...have been here along for the trip.

I wish u continued success in the future to come! :flower:

Thank You. It's been quite a trip since I put up the 60, battled cyano/dino for 3-4 mos, took it down, sold it, bought the new tank, killed everything off that was in it and restarted. And I paid it forward. I gave a former NR friend my tank and stand from Maiden's Voyage so she could have a large tank again.

I have like 15 or so. Some are hidden behind rocks. I had 3 spawning.

Yey! I didn't realize you had so many still. That's awesome. I hate all the trouble you've had with your fish. You're kinda like me, didn't have problems w/ the smaller tanks w/ fish at all, just now the bigger tanks, whether it's jumping or ich or some other mysterious illness with no outward signs.

• Like 3

Congrats! I can't wait for the day mine spawn :)

Well, I tell ya what, once they're 2-3" big the males should spawn. If it doesn't and they're that size, you probably have female.

How many lovelies do you have?

I'm defrosting some jumbo mysis for my flowers today. They're probably hungry. I usually feed them on Sun but they were busy getting it on.

• Like 2

Well, I tell ya what, once they're 2-3" big the males should spawn. If it doesn't and they're that size, you probably have female.

How many lovelies do you have?

I'm defrosting some jumbo mysis for my flowers today. They're probably hungry. I usually feed them on Sun but they were busy getting it on.

I have 7 and 2 are at least 2". They have been moving around a lot and one specifically has been showing off quite a bit during the last 2 weeks. No spawning noticed though.

• Like 1