Pod Your Reef

Bloomin' Tank of GeNRosity

FlowerMama

Bummer...sorry he wasn't able to make the transfer :(. Did he have ich? I thought it looked like it in one of your photos but I wasn't sure if it was that or just natural pattern spots. I'm not that familiar with these fish.

• Like 1

I saw 2 spots the first day then they disappeared so I thought detritus, when he poos it's the same color. I never saw him rub or anything. I had him a month or so. This week he got really thin since the hawkfish came on.

I saw 2 spots the first day then they disappeared so I thought detritus, when he poos it's the same color. I never saw him rub or anything. I had him a month or so. This week he got really thin since the hawkfish came on.

Is the hawkfish more relaxed now?
  • Like 1

Hawkfish was never an issue. He just minded his business and whenever the tang came by flashing his fanny at him, he didn't even budge, or wink, maybe just moved to a different perching spot. I'm going to do a larger water change tomorrow. I was feeding daily and nitrates were up to 10. So I'll do like 50 %.

• Like 2

Well, came home to a dead royal gramma and had more white than I'd ever seen in my life. There was not a speck on him yesterday at all. I have a change of water heating up so I can put half from the tank and half new into the 10g to QT cuz nitrates were 10 at that point.

Won't be the easiest catching the angel.

And a wall hanging the other day from Hobby Lobby w/ the 40% coupon since they just opened here. It's heavy so it has to be painted iron.

20160918_153033_zpsqputmk99.jpg

• Like 1

Tore the shit outta the tank landscape trying to catch the angel. Now I'm just filling it back w/ some clean water, another 5 g. It's a mess in there but I'm just gonna leave it until some more dust settles. I'll probably recreate it in a different way. I wanted more caves anyway.

20160919_195739_zpsj5uhx5iq.jpg

• Like 1

All fish are out? That really sucks...sorry :(.

Yes, the 3 left are in a 10g, stopping tomorrow at Lowes to get a couple pipes for hiding. Since I did 8 wks fallow before. I'm gonna do 12 this time. I don't know if it is recurring or newly brought in but I'm just gonna have to try. I hate that they'll be in there for 12 wks but I'll try pretty it up some way and get those pipes tomorrow. Cupramine went in of course.

• Like 2

Here's an update pic of the tank after I had put the fish into the 10g for quarantine. The tank is doing fine. Thinking next Thurs or Fri when I'm off I'll move all the rocks to the left half and clean the sand with a vacuum filter that will pick up the junk but not the sand (need to buy a smaller one than the one I was using) and then a week later move the rocks to the right side and do that left hand sand.

20160923_203407_zpsx5ivnaym.jpg

And here are the fish, they're doing fine. I did a 3g water change this am and added back like 4-5 drops of cupramine. I don't have a copper tester but I think it's safe to put back about what's missing.

20160923_233958_zpsqkzhuseo.jpg

20160924_184908_zpsblehjtx0.jpg

• Like 7

The new scape looks good! I'm sorry about the ich but I'm glad you caught it before you lost any more fish, and that they are doing well in quarantine. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

The new scape looks good! I'm sorry about the ich but I'm glad you caught it before you lost any more fish, and that they are doing well in quarantine. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

Thanks. I didn't do anything to the scape yet, I had to move stuff all around trying to catch the 1-inch angel. So this isn't what it's going to be. But at least I have 12 wks to figure it out. Ich did not leave my tank after 8 wks so I'm going to 12 this time. Pretty much I'll put them back in New Year's Day jut to be sure, don't know what else to do but give it more time. And in cleaning the sand hopefully that will help too. If Ich hasn't left after 12 wks then I don't know what I'm going to do.

• Like 2

:grouphug: Sorry to hear about the Ich :(

Last week I finally broke down and had to catch our lone Clownfish.

Had to Mix a bucket of SW to place rocks in to remove hiding places.

So, I fell ya in trying to catch ur Angel. GL with the cleaning and scaping.

• Like 1

Thanks. I didn't do anything to the scape yet, I had to move stuff all around trying to catch the 1-inch angel. So this isn't what it's going to be. But at least I have 12 wks to figure it out. Ich did not leave my tank after 8 wks so I'm going to 12 this time. Pretty much I'll put them back in New Year's Day jut to be sure, don't know what else to do but give it more time. And in cleaning the sand hopefully that will help too. If Ich hasn't left after 12 wks then I don't know what I'm going to do.

It'll be gone. I had a super bad outbreak like you did back when I had my 40. I did the same, 10 gallon qt with 4 or 5 fish in it. If you want to add any new coral, do it now to help prevent bringing ich back in to the tank.....at least if it happens now, it'll die off while the tank is fallow.

I did a 50% wc every week on the qt, just dose back half amounts of the Cupramine.....mine always tested spot on with the 50% wc and 50% redose.

• Like 4

So sorry to hear about the ich, Annette! Disease outbreaks are the worst! You're doing the right thing by leaving it fallow and putting the fish in quarantine. Hopefully the remaining fish all pull through! The tank looks wonderful though! Looks like all the corals are doing wonderful!

:grouphug: Sorry to hear about the Ich :(

Last week I finally broke down and had to catch our lone Clownfish.

Had to Mix a bucket of SW to place rocks in to remove hiding places.

So, I fell ya in trying to catch ur Angel. GL with the cleaning and scaping.

Yeah, I swore so much trying to get the angel out my dog went upstairs. He thought I was yelling at him. Can you imagine this sweet yelling all these obscenities?

It'll be gone. I had a super bad outbreak like you did back when I had my 40. I did the same, 10 gallon qt with 4 or 5 fish in it. If you want to add any new coral, do it now to help prevent bringing ich back in to the tank.....at least if it happens now, it'll die off while the tank is fallow.

I did a 50% wc every week on the qt, just dose back half amounts of the Cupramine.....mine always tested spot on with the 50% wc and 50% redose.

Hm, I hadn't thought about that. I wasn't thinking about ich and corals. Well, I'm still looking for a few pieces and I need the money first!

Sorry to hear about the ich, Annette. That really stinks!

The tank is looking good though

TY. Do you think it will help remove the ich from the tank if I vacuum the sand once? I still have a little feeding in there for the corals and for the star fish but nothing extensive.

Sorry about the ich. I would recommend buying from a reputable LFS that does some quarantine if you can't set up a QT for new additions. Your tang may have an internal parasite to start. Where are you getting your fish from now?

My friends took a drive here to the wholesaler in NC, Carolina Aquatics, about 2 hrs and the others were from somewhere in GA.

• Like 2

Yeah, I swore so much trying to get the angel out my dog went upstairs. He thought I was yelling at him. Can you imagine this sweet yelling all these obscenities?

Hm, I hadn't thought about that. I wasn't thinking about ich and corals. Well, I'm still looking for a few pieces and I need the money first!

TY. Do you think it will help remove the ich from the tank if I vacuum the sand once? I still have a little feeding in there for the corals and for the star fish but nothing extensive.

Yep....my second and last go around was after adding a $20 coral. Had been clean for almost a year, nothing else added. 2 - 3 weeks later, infested and lost a few fish.

• Like 2

So sorry to hear about the ich, Annette! Disease outbreaks are the worst! You're doing the right thing by leaving it fallow and putting the fish in quarantine. Hopefully the remaining fish all pull through! The tank looks wonderful though! Looks like all the corals are doing wonderful!

I can't wait til my leathers are grown some like yours. My rose coral is starting to puff up again now that all these peckers are out- the angel and the starry. One good thing is the fish don't appear stressed in quarantine at all. No one had an itch but the starry when they went in. He's not scratching himself. They're utilizing the tubes more.

Gonna be a long wait........You know, I've been lucky though. This is the first time in 3 yrs of reefing that I ever had ich and I've...never, never (I know it's bad), have never quarantined before as prevention. Part of me was wondering would now be a good time to bring in another fish into the QT tank since I have to wait it out anyway for 12 wks?? Probably the answer would've been yes if it was a 20g and not 10. I wouldn't want anyone to be stressed though. I better leave it alone right now, right? I would like to get some kind of filefish.

• Like 2

My friends took a drive here to the wholesaler in NC, Carolina Aquatics, about 2 hrs and the others were from somewhere in GA.

I'm not sure about vacuuming the sand bed or not but that's a good thought! I have no idea where ich resides the most unfortunately!

I'm not sure about vacuuming the sand bed or not but that's a good thought! I have no idea where ich resides the most unfortunately!

All I know is they say ich has memory and it'll stay in the spot your fish went to sleep and you put 'em back in and bam, they've got it. Another good reason to remake the scape. These rock flowers are getting larger so I think I'm going to try to make some islands for fish cover and then have more openness for the flowers.

• Like 1

Ice sounds icky! Hope you get it under control.

I do too. It was just odd though, the royal gramma and angel had been together in the tank just as long. I don't know how the angel didn't get it.