Top Shelf Aquatics

Bloomin' Tank of GeNRosity

FlowerMama

StinkyBunny

Most of those blood suckers don't last long without their hosts. The only thing you really need to worry about with Caribbean live rock is mantis shrimp. I got in some Fiji rock a month ago and I now have 50 or so small urchins in the curing vat as well as enough Stomatellas to outfit 100 tanks.

LOVE stomatellas!!!! I had one 3 yrs ago in my little 8 gallon. Haven't had any more with any other tank start-ups.

Yeah, in my other thread about Gertie, when I started my 34g I got 3 mantis shrimp. Gave one to a friend & kept the other 2. Had them separated until one day, the one got into the other side. One found lunch! But Gertie started out the runt and she overcame and grew bigger than the other. I'll never have a tank w/o one. I love 'em. She was maroon first, then changed to green.

• Like 5

So now I have 21 rock flowers! Of which I'd say half are 2" or bigger, hoping all those are of spawning age. I'll be screaming really loud once I see my first male spawning & for sure will take pics/video when it happens. Just seems like I've been waiting so long to see it again.

Love this one. The size of a quarter and it's getting an intense orange mouth and now is sporting purple on the edges.

20160629_185711_zpsgren2h4k.jpg

This 2-tone green is getting maybe a bluish or purple in it

20160629_185824_zpsbzixrphc.jpg

I got the one on the bottom that looks lavender, yellow and then a greenish blue in the middle. Then is the pic by VIP. The tan one w/ tan and white tentacles is also new.

20160629_175229_zpswedevwnb.jpg

13529082_1209344235756774_15078055978686

Also a newbie, purplish w/ red outside

20160622_210138_zpsmhyu5xjs.jpg

As you can tell, not my pic---just hard for me to get as it's nickel size. Many colors around the mouth- really looking forward to this one getting bigger.

13501971_1209344275756770_84986865637106

• Like 8

Those are all amazing! I'm so glad that you are back to having loads of RFAs for us to look at :D

I still miss ones I've had. The peach w/ the green skirt for example. SO many but hoping that maybe my rfas will make me some unique enough babies.

You've got quite the collection of rock flowers going again! Glad to see the flower garden back in full bloom :) Stunning new additions!

• Like 1
FlowerMama

Thank You. I'm looking forward to the day when I have many babies and my leathers are more than a 3" twig, wonderful and bushy like your fluffy leathers. Time for a feeding tomorrow w/ scallop. Last time it was shrimp.

• Like 2
FlowerMama

Rose coral is soon going to be touching the baby one. Will it move? Is it mobile like that?

20160702_191410_zpscxsnnqmn.jpg

And red sea star has apparently had snail for lunch, empty shell.

20160702_204918_zpsy2uqn1k5.jpg

And this is nothing but fresh Polish sausage that my mom's friend brought for her from visiting from Chicago. This is just the best stuff.

20160702_191038_zpseyirdfv7.jpg

• Like 3
FlowerMama

that rose coral is really pretty! i wonder why no one sells them individually

Someone told me they were on the threatened list?? I never heard of that but oh well.

21 rock flowers!!! They are looking really nice :)

Thanks. There are some colors I'm still missing . This year is probably pretty much over w/ rock flowers, usually too much algae in the water for them to collect in the summer I heard.

• Like 2

Thank You. I'm looking forward to the day when I have many babies and my leathers are more than a 3" twig, wonderful and bushy like your fluffy leathers. Time for a feeding tomorrow w/ scallop. Last time it was shrimp.

I'm sure the leathers will grow pretty fast for you. Mine seem to grow really fast. They grow slow at first when they're small, but then once they hit a certain size, they tend to take off exponentially.

that rose coral is really pretty! i wonder why no one sells them individually

I love the rose coral too! I wish they were something you could buy. I believe the issue is that it is illegal to collect and sell any reef building corals in Florida, so they can't collect anything with skeletons. The only way its legal to obtain one is if it happens to grow on live rock in one of the vendors live rock farms.

• Like 3

I love the rose coral too! I wish they were something you could buy. I believe the issue is that it is illegal to collect and sell any reef building corals in Florida, so they can't collect anything with skeletons. The only way its legal to obtain one is if it happens to grow on live rock in one of the vendors live rock farms.

hmm...seems like an easy loop hole is to sell "live rocks" guaranteed to have rose corals for a premium =P.

• Like 3

hmm...seems like an easy loop hole is to sell "live rocks" guaranteed to have rose corals for a premium =P.

True true...you starting a business? ;)

Look, the baby is definitely getting bigger!

20160703_181548_zpsyyomclfa.jpg

Awww! Cute baby nem :)

FlowerMama

True true...you starting a business? ;)

Awww! Cute baby nem :)

It's actually a baby rose coral that was on the rock next to it's mama!!. It's the coral in this tank I'm most excited about as it was complete skeleton when I unwrapped the rock. But, hopefully the baby action will happen soon with some flowers.

• Like 1
FlowerMama

So I moved the duncan back to more of the corner as I wanted to put the pipe organ on that location as I think it'll be very pretty as it cascades down some of it, or if a nem wants to attach to the rock. Right now neither coral are happy about it. And the frag plug still has a few polyps so I'm hoping it'll grow on that plug.

20160705_192814_zpswuqywfw8.jpg

bad gluing job, I ran out of glue and still had to keep some available for the pipe organ.

20160705_192732_zpswopo5vz2.jpg

Since being put in the 40, this paly has taken off. Loves this light I think.

So many little ones

20160705_183057_zps05zbwgio.jpg

Oh, and this has nothing to do whatsoever with reefing but considering I only pulled the trigger once on my friend's husband's 22 pistol last year and that was me just knocking off "shoot a gun" off my bucket list, I thought I did really well. I'm going to try 2 different , smaller guns next time but I am so proud of myself. I did really well. He said I was a natural.

The middle target and two left ones were with a Springfield XDM 9 mm, and the 2 on the right were a Glock 19 9mm. See the upper right just about hole in one? My first shot w/ the Glock. I definitely have better grouping with it though I'm veering to left of center which I heard was common. But I don't know if he meant that's common w/ the glock or common for a first timer. I just have to keep pressure w/ my left hand I guess.

My previous husband urged me to get a taser but as of late I've been thinking of gun. Keep in mind this now, their AC was broken, I'm sweating on my brow, I'm focusing on the sights and I'm fogging up the protective eye wear. And I found out I REALLY like shooting a gun. I find that so weird but it was empowering. Nervous but that's why I plan on practicing til I figure out what will be best for my conceal carry license. It was so hot in there I couldn't remember what to press after I loaded the magazine or slide back. I take the class on 7/23, then it's a 4 month backlog to get in for an appt.

20160703_162829_zps0waxpuob.jpg

I didn't realize it was also going to be such a stress reliever. Damn I had a blast!

• Like 5
FlowerMama

The 2 newly placed corals were doing well today. Came home and both the duncans and pipe organ were open. The tan nem though didn't make it. It was part stuck to a hermit and a rock, something between them all didn't go well and he was gone today really.

20160706_204104_zpsns7csc6v.jpg

• Like 3
FlowerMama

Thanks. It's just the way it goes sometimes. I really appreciate everyone that looks to my thread. We share the good, the bad and the ugly.. Speaking of ugly, found 2 aptasia. One on the rock I just moved the duncan to, it's facing the back wall. And then one in the rock right below that set of bivalves.

• Like 3

So I moved the duncan back to more of the corner as I wanted to put the pipe organ on that location as I think it'll be very pretty as it cascades down some of it, or if a nem wants to attach to the rock. Right now neither coral are happy about it. And the frag plug still has a few polyps so I'm hoping it'll grow on that plug.

20160705_192814_zpswuqywfw8.jpg

bad gluing job, I ran out of glue and still had to keep some available for the pipe organ.

20160705_192732_zpswopo5vz2.jpg

Since being put in the 40, this paly has taken off. Loves this light I think.

So many little ones

20160705_183057_zps05zbwgio.jpg

Oh, and this has nothing to do whatsoever with reefing but considering I only pulled the trigger once on my friend's husband's 22 pistol last year and that was me just knocking off "shoot a gun" off my bucket list, I thought I did really well. I'm going to try 2 different , smaller guns next time but I am so proud of myself. I did really well. He said I was a natural.

The middle target and two left ones were with a Springfield XDM 9 mm, and the 2 on the right were a Glock 19 9mm. See the upper right just about hole in one? My first shot w/ the Glock. I definitely have better grouping with it though I'm veering to left of center which I heard was common. But I don't know if he meant that's common w/ the glock or common for a first timer. I just have to keep pressure w/ my left hand I guess.

My previous husband urged me to get a taser but as of late I've been thinking of gun. Keep in mind this now, their AC was broken, I'm sweating on my brow, I'm focusing on the sights and I'm fogging up the protective eye wear. And I found out I REALLY like shooting a gun. I find that so weird but it was empowering. Nervous but that's why I plan on practicing til I figure out what will be best for my conceal carry license. It was so hot in there I couldn't remember what to press after I loaded the magazine or slide back. I take the class on 7/23, then it's a 4 month backlog to get in for an appt.

20160703_162829_zps0waxpuob.jpg

I didn't realize it was also going to be such a stress reliever. Damn I had a blast!

Did something happen that you want a gun now?