Top Shelf Aquatics

Bloomin' Tank of GeNRosity

FlowerMama

Your nems looks so happy! Great looking tank so far. That rose coral is super cool too, neatest hitchiker i've seen.

Thank You. Right now the rose coral is my favorite coral in the tank. I've never had a coral come back like that and because it has a little mini baby next to it, I'm thrilled even more. it's definitely a baby, coloring & pattern matching. I've also just never had anything like my previous acans have this much polyp extension so I'm happy to see it. It's obviously happy.

20160617_213944_zpsuqzbjvdz.jpg

• Like 4
StinkyBunny

You used to be able to buy dwarf seahorses, pipefish and rose corals out of the back of TFH magazine when I was a kid. Bought my first seahorses and pipefish that way. I paid a whopping $17 shipped for 2 pairs of seahorses, a pair of pipefish and a hitching post (dead gorgonian) back then. That was 4 lawns that I had to mow, lol.

• Like 2

I'd love to have a rose coral. Someone (forget who) had a whole tank filled with them. I think he requested them with his live rock order. A shame you can only get them from a live rock order. I would totally buy one if they were available. I think it's probably more fun to get them on your live rock though. Especially when they magically sprout babies too :).

• Like 2

I'd love to have a rose coral. Someone (forget who) had a whole tank filled with them. I think he requested them with his live rock order. A shame you can only get them from a live rock order. I would totally buy one if they were available. I think it's probably more fun to get them on your live rock though. Especially when they magically sprout babies too :).

I have to say, something natural on my reef just makes me the happiest, just the like the little yellow, orange, pink, or black sponges that pop up, or the feather dusters.

• Like 1

Just some splashes of color like the purple showing up in one of the rainbows or I see two with white around the edge before the tentacles. Just little things here & there.

I'm enjoying my emerald crab, I like his 2 tones of color. His favorite hiding spot. The pipe organ is right in front of it.

20160617_234223_zpsummdfjy7.jpg

And a really nice sunset day before last.

20160617_203438_zpsk2vbepwf.jpg

20160617_202904_zpszoqnwf2z.jpg

20160617_204717_zpspkejp2xh.jpg

• Like 7
StinkyBunny

Unfortunately, if they were to open up collecting in the Caribbean, it would destroy it. It used to be that when they harvested rock there couldn't be ANY corals on it whatsoever. I think I paid $3 for the rose coral I got back then. Now I'd like to have a piece of Elkhorn to grow out and take back to They Keys and plant when I got there.

• Like 3

I'ts a miracle!!! All leathers have polyps this special evening!!!! All leaning left but oh well. I'll take what I can get.

20160620_212642_zpsaw6qxqd8.jpg

And the duncan is doing better. More fluffy.

20160620_191342_zpsqhue0gwv.jpg

And I'm currently thinking of a more permanent location for the pipe organ. Thinking of it sitting between 2 rocks so it can spread to both, just don't know where. It's a full little mound already so I need to put it down. Has to cascade somewhere like the white cascading flowers in the spring, like Sweet Allysum.

• Like 4

Wow, the tank looks beautiful, Annette! I love all that color on your rocks. And all the life! And the baby rose coral is just too cute!

• Like 1

Wow, the tank looks beautiful, Annette! I love all that color on your rocks. And all the life! And the baby rose coral is just too cute!

Thanks, I'm sure eventually he'll let go but that little one is a fighter. Hopefully my baby nems will be as strong. I tried to do that and they grabbed for like 2 secs then released and then a snail or something went & got it.

• Like 1

Not a great picture but the nem has spread out a little on the backside of that rock sharing the rose coral. Now the baby is so close by and this adult rose coral is gonna squeeze it out, any ideas?

20160621_175750_zpslppcvckp.jpg

20160621_174139_zpsu8gyz7ui.jpg

Anyone know what the little colonies of coral are called? Looks like several more patches are starting up (& I just think that's cool)

20160621_184930_zpsn0xwywv3.jpg

20160621_180429_zpsgzxfn0ec.jpg

• Like 2

Just measured Teenyreef's rock flower. 4". Not teeny! I love it's grey center, it's awesome because it's a cool mottled grey.

I saw no spawning & water not cloudy, maybe next time. I just checked and 8 of the 18 rock flowers are 2" or larger now so soon some will hopefully show me who they are. It's hard to wait to find out what they are. I'll be taking a pick of each one though separately once they've been sexed.

• Like 1

I'd need a better pic of those little colonies to be 100% sure, but I'm 99% sure they are Montastrea cavernosa, Caribbean Moon coral.

I don't know that it's any better, they're just brown.

20160622_210040_zpsskdznst0.jpg

Isn't it cute, I have several babies in the tank. It's under TeenyReef's nem.

20160622_213229_zpsycssq0vj.jpg

And here are pictures of my 3 smallest nems. All quarter size.

20160622_202358_zps7gre4rp4.jpg

This one is pretty with light pink, then lavender and a yellow center.

20160622_202404_zpsp6nsimig.jpg

This next one I got online from a different vendor, AQM on eBay. I got it and I'm like WHAT?? Cuz it looked nothing like it.

I finally got closest to this picture after a few tries.

purplerednem_zps2cv9z29z.jpg

Under evening blue- Nope

20160621_204019_zpswyubqevk.jpg

Under blue but with yellow filter? Nope

20160621_192538_zpshjwovwj8.jpg

Under blue but with flash ON- that's the closest.

20160622_210132_zpsztpy990m.jpg

I still don't know how they got there's so rich in saturation. You can see why I wanted it.

• Like 2

Good or bad? has a ridge on the back. barely moving or isn't at all. Is it just a white chiton???

Right now he's in a spot where I can catch him if need be.

20160623_000212_zpss5ouxohh.jpg

20160622_234320_zpslb2peuxs.jpg

StinkyBunny

Looks like a chiton to me, there's a furry looking one from the Caribbean they call the Sea Mouse. They're harmless herbivores, that'll teach me to post that early in the am, lol.

• Like 1

Looks like a chiton to me, there's a furry looking one from the Caribbean they call the Sea Mouse.

So I have both chitons and limpets. Another reason why I love uncured live rock. The best clean up crews!!!

I've just never had such a white chiton, that's why I wasn't sure if it was that, or an isopod, etc.

Great looking tank!

Perfect example to make me wonder why so many people are into painting the back of their tank black! This is so much better IMO.

• Like 1

Great looking tank!

Perfect example to make me wonder why so many people are into painting the back of their tank black! This is so much better IMO.

Thank You, though I saw Gena do it and a couple people before her. I think with this tank it's keeping it bright like a tidal pool.

Thank You, though I saw Gena do it and a couple people before her. I think with this tank it's keeping it bright like a tidal pool.

I guess it depends on what you do with your rock work. Some tanks are still impressive no matter the background, but I agree that the brightness works really well in your tank.

• Like 2