Cultivated Reef

Bloomin' Tank of GeNRosity

FlowerMama

That Big Green Eating Machine can put away some food! :blink:

I'm so glad the fish are all getting along!

Yeah, they're pals after their skirmish yesterday. Now it's over, and they're following each other around now like a school. I've never had "fish pals" before, I've only had fish that exist with each other in the same tank. So it's really cool having that after 3 yrs of reefing.

I'll be excited one day to tell ya whether it was a girl or boy.

• Like 2
StinkyBunny

Your Atlantic biotope is BEAUTIFUL!!! The Jawfish will be OK with the rest as will the Cherub and Royal Gramma. They all came from the same place, we'll see if you can guess their country of origin, the USA isn't that country. ;)

Isn't the starry blenny from Indonesia or something?

Looks like little angel brought in ich. Yesterday the gramma had some spots but today the angel is much more covered than the gramma. I got the gramma last Friday and the angel couple days ago. And I've heard angels are more prone. Grammas usually pretty hardy. Friend and new owner of new lfs coming over w/ cupramine and I have water heating. Gramma & angel will go in one tank, the jawfish in another.

• Like 1

12:47 my friend left and she was apologizing all over but sometimes it's just in your shipment, it happens. I've been super lucky over reefing since Feb 2013 and never ever had ich and I never home quarantine. Yeah, I'll probably pick up a couple 5 g at the next Petco$1 sale. They got 2 angels in and 2 grammas. I got one of each. He went home to find water coming out from under the garage, new over $300 pump broke and he checked and the other angel they have has ich. And then the wife came over to help me set up- they brought a 10g they have for ich use. Tough learning weekend for them, it stinks. And luckily for me about a month back someone in the small condo complex put a full set up at the end of the driveway- said Free!!! So that's how I how I got the extra 10 g right away. I'm also going to the store tomorrow to buy some fresh scallop and shrimp, mince it up so I can soak it in garlic and feed them. The jawfish are skinny now.

Angel and1 jawfish didn't make it overnight. The other is doing well and so is the gramma. My friends also lost the other angel, some chromis and hogfish. They obviously l got a bad shipment in & it's unfortunate. Gotta go to the store to pick up some shrimps, scallops, fish and mince it up for some fresh food w/ garlic for the 2 survivors and also fatten up my clowns some.

Angel and1 jawfish didn't make it overnight. The other is doing well and so is the gramma. My friends also lost the other angel, some chromis and hogfish. They obviously l got a bad shipment in & it's unfortunate. Gotta go to the store to pick up some shrimps, scallops, fish and mince it up for some fresh food w/ garlic for the 2 survivors and also fatten up my clowns some.

Dang, Annette, I am sorry. You are due for some good luck for a change! Hope the others pull through.

Yeah, me too. My friends did say though, they'll make it right and take care of me. I told them I'm keeping it fish free for 6 wks and I'll just continue in that time to make sure that the 2 in hospital tanks are surviving. You still coming through town tomorrow? That gorgeous chalice awaits! And of course it's in the tank w/ the clowns that hasn't been touched by anything in the 40g.

Sorry to hear about ich. Angels and tangs are the worst when it comes to bringing in ich. I always get my fish from store that does QT. It's still not 100% safe but it's better than buying fish straight out of shipment. I hope the fish in QT do well. I think it's safer to go 8 weeks fallow in your tank than 6 weeks.

• Like 1

Yeah, Thanks everyone. That's the thing, at least when you buy on-line many times you have 2 wk guarantees but not when buying locally. Now I' trying to put the tank back together again. Trying to look at the billion of pics I've taken to recreate who knows, maybe it'll turn out even better. Right now I had to stop, so cloudy can't see. At least I'm helping the skimmer out. I'll just do my best. I did like it sloping up towards the back. Hopefully the other 2 fish make it. I told them will just wait on any more fish until this system and theirs is fine.

They had one system for fish, the other for inverts. But the main pump broke last night and water coming out from under their garage. They'll call the manufacturer Monday, it was a new pump I think they only told me about a month ago. Since they had the other pygmy die, some chromis and a spanish hogfish.

And I found out I still have some mad netting skills!

Pics tomorrow when I've come up with something halfway decent tonight. I'm also doing a water change for Gertie's tank tomorrow. That tank only has the curlique anemone on the right, the toadstool center. I'm going to get something for the left side to spice it up.

• Like 1

Here's a pic , normal evening shot towards bed-time, little white.

20160610_194723_zps0eb3hcts.jpg

Now same pic a minute later w/ a little yellow gel filter put in front of the phone lens.

20160610_195129_zpskx3wefyt.jpg

And I mean LITTLE yellow, 1.5 x 3". Amazon for like $5.

20160611_212521_zpspcfaacvl.jpg

• Like 4
StinkyBunny

Sorry for the losses, now I'm scared to bring in a shipment out of Haiti. You're right, the Starry blennys usually come from either The Philippines or Bali.

• Like 1

I remember when we spoke last it was the time of the earthquakes in Fiji- you finally get ahold of someone? and was everything ok?

Sorry for the losses, now I'm scared to bring in a shipment out of Haiti. You're right, the Starry blennys usually come from either The Philippines or Bali.

Here's a pic , normal evening shot towards bed-time, little white.

20160610_194723_zps0eb3hcts.jpg

Now same pic a minute later w/ a little yellow gel filter put in front of the phone lens.

20160610_195129_zpskx3wefyt.jpg

And I mean LITTLE yellow, 1.5 x 3". Amazon for like $5.

20160611_212521_zpspcfaacvl.jpg

Many colors to play with. I'm going to try a shade lighter than that yellow.

My red brittle star fell into the largest rock flower.

• Like 4

Nobody messes with Big Green :lol:

Nope! It was just funny to watch. But I'm like, nah, he'll be alright, he can pull more strongly than the nem can.

• Like 1

So sorry about the fish losses! Ich can take out fish really quickly and is really hard to treat sometimes. Sounds like it was just an unhealthy fish shipment, which was too bad.

The gel filter photo looks great those! Nice find getting those on Amazon. I love Amazon!

• Like 1

So sorry about the fish losses! Ich can take out fish really quickly and is really hard to treat sometimes. Sounds like it was just an unhealthy fish shipment, which was too bad.

The gel filter photo looks great those! Nice find getting those on Amazon. I love Amazon!

Sadly the other 2 fish were gone this morning. : ( I loved them all so I will be getting again.

Yeah, those gel filters are wonderful. Just small enough to get the lens of the phone in there. I might see what I can do w/ close-ups on some nems tonight.

I have star that size also but it never comes out like that........

Well, you can see the tank is cloudy. I had to put the rocks the best I could back in their positions after moving most to the left side to try to net the fish, so he was feeling a little misplaced.

For 2 wks I enjoyed my fish! It's gonna be hard not to have fish activity for 2 mos. :( But it is what it is. Gotta check the water for Gertie's water change & see if it's warmed up.

Damn. I've been very lucky so far and never had Ich. I feel so bad for you and your fish. Hope all is well moving forward.

• Like 1

Damn. I've been very lucky so far and never had Ich. I feel so bad for you and your fish. Hope all is well moving forward.

Thanks, I've been super lucky too. Since Jan 2013 I've never quarantined any fish and never had a sick fish.

I just turned the temp in that tank to 80 to help the life cycle of the ich and go fishless for the 8 wks. Time for me to check the water to see if it's warm enough for Gert's water change and start soaking the 3 tiny hydor Koralia pumps and my Brute pump in vinegar water- it stopped.

StinkyBunny

In 35 years of keeping marine fish I have NEVER lost a fish to Ich, it's oodinium that will burn through a system in short order. About a year ago I got it in one of my systems, the UV light was on the fritz and I lost $2800 worth of fish in 3 days. It sounds like that's what you had run through your system.

Fiji is fine, they emailed me back about a week later, they lost their satellite comms.

• Like 1