Top Shelf Aquatics

Bloomin' Tank of GeNRosity

FlowerMama

FlowerMama

There are feeders, kinda looks like small trumpets, just not puffy.

They have feeders, totally brown, have a skeleton that looks like like trumpets but skinny and not puffy.

Oh, this is where the red star decided to take up a home for a couple days. The intake for the skimmer. At least there's nothing to hurt him if he goes in, he'll just be whirled around big time! He's out now but still to the side of it, by the thermometer.

20160513_070430_zpscwxqsu3q.jpg

• Like 3

My red brittle used to go exploring in the back chamber of my 10g tank. He really liked the pump chamber best :o

I used to spend lots of quality time trying to get him out of that small chamber before he got sucked up in the pump. I finally gave him to a local reefer with a big tank when he outgrew the 10g. He got so big he could pretty much stretch from one side of the rocks to the other from his hiding place in the middle of the rocks.

• Like 2
FlowerMama

I felt bad I ended up shortening a leg of his accidently when I was trying to pull him gently out of the 10. He has a nice 40g and he wants a condo with a view! I couldn't help but laugh and let him be.

I knew I better get them in soon as that one and the harlequin would have to learn how to coexist with the jawfish- And yep, found the harlequin in the part of the jawfish manor. The jawfish have dug and then due to the harlequin, probably redug some spaces nearby in the hill that was back there. The highest part in the middle as fallen. Don't know what I'm going to do to fix it yet. I need to move some more rock back there I guess. I don't want any more rock in the tank. Maybe I'll just keep it sunken as it is and leave it.

Tomorrow I need to do a water change. I just turned on the RO/DI. I have enough water for only a 5 g bucket in there right now.

• Like 2
FlowerMama

Ugh! Found my 3rd aptasia in the tank. Back right on the side. Luckily, no corals but a leather on top that's not glued down, so tomorrow I can pick up the rock, turn it right side up, let the aptasia relax, open back up and goop it w/ Aptasia Rx!!! I've been trying to kill them within 2 days of sightings. This ones like a dime.

• Like 2
StinkyBunny

I would bet they are hidden cup corals. I had some small red ones on a live rock... the skeleton makes me think that's what they are. do you see feeders out?

As soon as I find my copy of Caribbean Marine Life I can positively ID it. I have 3 boxes of books around here some place that I never unpacked when we moved.

• Like 1
FlowerMama

As soon as I find my copy of Caribbean Marine Life I can positively ID it. I have 3 boxes of books around here some place that I never unpacked when we moved.

I don't know if it matters but these rocks were on the Gulf of Mexico side but I'm sure there are some of the same things.

Found this don't know what this is yet. Looks like I'm getting 2 of them.

20160515_005549_zpsve0dbddh.jpg

Always something new to find here. Now the baby rock flower pictured before I can't find. I basted the rocks from sediment, maybe it moved.

• Like 1
FlowerMama

Yeah, I'm hoping no on the aptasia as well. I've never seen it stick out like that so I'm curious to see what that's going to become.

FlowerMama

Rose coral was happy about dinner.

20160515_180739_zpsgqmoz1n9.jpg

I love this tan spongy thing with the big mouth. But I can't find the baby nem that was beneath it.

20160515_180804_zpsjkay5diw.jpg

20160515_180824_zpsjjtfiwer.jpg

20160515_180832_zpsuldv5drj.jpg

20160515_180836_zpsy83y22yw.jpg

20160515_180843_zpsvaebf3x6.jpg

20160515_180846_zps8kebgdyb.jpg

20160515_180852_zpstozv9th3.jpg

This one's getting some purple splotches near the top back side.

20160515_180855_zpsywyyhqwr.jpg

Baby toadstool just not happy. Getting smaller. I know the flow is good as everything is leaning.

• Like 9
FlowerMama

Damn FlowerMama! Ur chit looks so nice :wub: Great Job! B)

Thanks. I just killed an aptasia I found at the bottom of the Kenya tree frag! That is the 4th one I've found. I didn't have the aptasia when I bought from KPAquatics but apparently my Gulf Live Rock has them. Oh well. Win some lose some.

• Like 1

Sorry to hear that :(

TBH, The only time I ordered something online was from Liveaquaria, and that was 2 Feather Dusters.

Still doing well. OH! I forgot, I also ordered from Reefcleaners. That order was for "Hitchhikers" :P lol!

Ur Liverock is still awesome though. And ur a Good Tank Mama B)

• Like 1
Mr. Microscope

Any plans for swimming things in there? I think I remember seeing something about Caribbean jawfish or a blenny?

• Like 1
FlowerMama

There are 2 jawfish in there and they chose the back. idon't know if I'm jut seeing one or if I still have 2. I can't see them.

There was more of a mound up in the middle and that's been messed up, rock has sunken. I have some fish on order: a royal gramma since I miss the one I had in there with Gertie, a pigmy/cherub angelfish and a starry blenny.

• Like 3
StinkyBunny

That sponge looking thing is a sponge. We used to call them cottonball sponges, there's also a chicken liver sponge that will show itself shortly.

• Like 1
FlowerMama

That sponge looking thing is a sponge. We used to call them cottonball sponges, there's also a chicken liver sponge that will show itself shortly.

I also have a black sponge to the left of the orange one. I also love the flat sponges that I have along the left side of a rock in the back left, it's orange. I did remove the dictyota off of the rose coral and moved it to the front left this early afternoon, and now I notice it's not there. Maybe a snail ate it.

• Like 1

I also have a black sponge to the left of the orange one. I also love the flat sponges that I have along the left side of a rock in the back left, it's orange. I did remove the dictyota off of the rose coral and moved it to the front left this early afternoon, and now I notice it's not there. Maybe a snail ate it.

I had a bunch of dictoya on my live rock when I first started my 10g tank. I panicked and assumed it would start growing out of control, so I got an emerald crab. Two weeks later there wasn't a trace of dictoya anywhere in the tank.

• Like 1
FlowerMama

Yeah, I'm sure more things will be growing. I put in some Reef Bugs and some Coral Frenzy today and some Seachem Fuel. I'm trying to help that small toadstool that has been more shut than open since I took it out of Gert's tank and put it here.

• Like 2

Awesome fish list! I especially love the cherub angelfish. It's going to be so pretty in there and you shouldn't have a problem with coral nipping with the corals you have in there now :).

FlowerMama

Awesome fish list! I especially love the cherub angelfish. It's going to be so pretty in there and you shouldn't have a problem with coral nipping with the corals you have in there now :).

That's what I was thinking. My only hope is that it leaves the polyps of the rose coral alone and I wouldn't think it would bother the grandis. They can sense it's toxic, right?

StinkyBunny

There are only 4 angelfish that I consider reef safeish, Cherub, Respendens, Coral Beauty and Fireball. Rusty, Potters, Vroliki, Oriole and Flame will taste all of your corals and eat the ones they really like. There's always the possibility that one will start eating things. The only thing I've ever seen the Cherubs nip at is sponges.

• Like 2
FlowerMama

There are only 4 angelfish that I consider reef safeish, Cherub, Respendens, Coral Beauty and Fireball. Rusty, Potters, Vroliki, Oriole and Flame will taste all of your corals and eat the ones they really like. There's always the possibility that one will start eating things. The only thing I've ever seen the Cherubs nip at is sponges.

Great, so I should be fine except the sponge needs to NOT be eaten. I like the big yellow one (big in my eyes because I have one like 3/4 less the size) and a black round one.

• Like 1

That's what I was thinking. My only hope is that it leaves the polyps of the rose coral alone and I wouldn't think it would bother the grandis. They can sense it's toxic, right?

I forgot you have the rose coral! The only angel I ever had was a coral beauty. I forget why I had to turn him in. I think it was nipping but I can't remember what it was nipping. It was so long ago :lol:. LPS is a target so you'll just have to keep an eye on it.

• Like 2

Yeah, I'm sure more things will be growing. I put in some Reef Bugs and some Coral Frenzy today and some Seachem Fuel. I'm trying to help that small toadstool that has been more shut than open since I took it out of Gert's tank and put it here.

Toads for whatever reason I find are freaking moody!!! I wouldn't count it out.