SaltCritters.com

Bloomin' Tank of GeNRosity

FlowerMama

I wish I knew what nitrite was at this point seeing that ammonia is almost done. Never since I started reefing have I ever seen nitrate that high. I got high ends for everything.

Here's a pic of the rose coral filling in with tissue.

20160410_004556_zpsatiiuowh.jpg
and many places where I had sponges are turning white.
20160410_004456_zpszhmc8kpx.jpg
and I think that little red sponge is getting its red back, slowly.
20160410_004419_zpsuxshwets.jpg
This is cool. I found this bright yellow and I wonder if it's going to be a yellow sponge of some kind.
20160410_003955_zpsgbstifd1.jpg
  • Like 4

I saw one of these at Petco today too. I really fell for his funny face. I think I'd like one for my 40. What would be a good fish to put with him? I decided I wanted to keep the 6 line out of this tank since he is doing really well w/ Gertie and he would always snatch the food from the nems. What would be 2 or 3 fish that would go well with him?

20160409_163306_zpshetxmnpt.jpg

20160409_163142_zpsub4g9cll.jpg

20160409_162144_zps5zqdpbwn.jpg

I mean look at that face!!!!

• Like 2

I like the little fern leafs, or at least that's what they look like to me, small leaves like an inch. And in top left you can see the bivalve opened, it's been opened.

20160410_012017_zpstomscizh.jpg

• Like 1

I like green in the tank. Well, I don't have to be at my mom's house until later so I'm going to go to the Petco now for that test kit, grab something to eat.

I like green too!

What kind of blenny is that?

• Like 1

I think it said Funny Faced Blenny but the actual name I believe is this one... large banded blenny, but LiveAquaria calls it Horseface Blenny and says 30g, however it says max size is 5" for it and recommended 50g at the link below so it's a no. :( I definitely want a blenny, something larger, I loved my tail spot however I like them in smaller tanks better. So I need to find a larger blenny but just not one that gets to be that big.

I'm fine w/ 2-3 fish in here. I have to start researching blennies.

http://www.aquariumdomain.com/viewSpeciesMarine.php?id=212

It said...

While they can kept successfully in nano style aquariums, they are better suited for mid sized or larger aquariums ranging from 50 to 90 gallons or larger. Large-banded Blennies do well with most other community fish species, corals and invertebrate species if given ample room to establish their own home territory. Large-banded Blennies are reef safe and are considered a beneficial species to keep in a reef aquarium as they will actively consume a variety of marine algae, which helps to keep the reef clean and clear of excess or nuisance algae growth.

So maybe I could with just one other fish.??? Oh wait, this tank was going to have macro. Well, I can leave macro out.

I'm still believing it'd be ok to have him with just one other fish, like an open swimmer since the blenny is territorial with it's rock structures.

In terms of the bit larger blennies, I've had 2 different starry blennies over the years and they're my absolute favorite. They do great in a 30-40 gallon tank. They also do a wonderful job eating algae off the rocks. The only issue with them, which can be an issue with any blenny, is that they can bother coral or inverts with they're picking for algae. My most recent starry blenny took to constantly pecking at my clams mantle, I think because it was trying to get the algae off the shell underneath, but it was really irritating the clam. I ended up rehoming the starry blenny with a friend and he's doing well there.

The other good option for a bit larger blenny is of course a midas blenny, but I've had a lot of issues with those coming in with internal parasites and having issues with wasting away over time. I think people have been having better luck with them lately though.

• Like 2

Here's what Vivid Aquariums has to say about starry blennies.

How to Care for Starry Blenny

written by Dave Burr

Behavior: The Starry Blenny will help to rid your aquarium of unsightly hair and string algae. Although it may occasionally nip at select clams and SPS corals, the Starry Blenny rarely causes any real damage to corals or invertebrates. Providing plenty of live rock with microalgae for it to graze on should keep it pre-occupied. This useful herbivore will help to keep you aquarium looking its best.

The Starry Blenny is an interesting reef fish that will spend much of its time perched on corals or rocks. It is generally a peaceful fish, however it may behave aggressively towards smaller blennies. They are best kept singly unless a pair is added to a larger reef aquarium of 120 gallons or more.

Feeding: The Starry Blenny will graze over the live rock in the aquarium eating algae. You can supplement its diet with live macro algae, such as Macro Feast, and dry seaweed 1-2 times per week. Try using a rubber-band to attach the algae to a small rock or pvc pipe and place it in the sand bed.

Hint: Rubber-banding algae to bit of tonga branch rock looks the most natural and will stay in place the best.

Soaking all fish food (even algae) with vitamins will help keep your fish healthier and make them less susceptible to disease. We recommend soaking food in garlic as well when adding new fish and whenever your notice ich or other disease in the aquarium. Garlic will help repel external parasites and will boost the fishes immunity.

Feeding Tips: Remember to feed slowly. Leftover food will cause nitrates and phosphates to rise. If you see food falling to the sand bed and into the rocks, you should feed slower and give the fish a chance to eat before adding a little more. Using a turkey baster allows you to target food to different fish. For example you can feed the aggressive fish on one side of the tank and then squirt a little bit on the other side for the less aggressive fish. This way all the fish get a chance to eat enough.

Maximum Length: 5"
Care Level: Easy
Family: Blenniidae
Reef Compatibility: Yes
Minimum Aquarium Size: 30 gal.
Range: Indo Pacific
Diet: Herbivore
Water Conditions: 75-80° F; sg 1.024-1.026 (1.025 is ideal); pH 8.1-8.4 Ca 420-440 ppm, Alk 8-9.5 dKH, Mg 1260-1350, Nitrates <10ppm, Phosphates, < .10ppm

Water Chemistry: Maintaining Ammonia at 0 ppm, Nitrites at 0 ppm, and Nitrates below 10ppm will help to keep your Starry Blenny happy and healthy. We recommend doing a water change soon after Nitrates rise above 10 ppm. Maintaining proper calcium (420-440 ppm), alkalinity (8-9.5 dkh - run it 7-8 if you are carbon dosing), and magnesium levels (1260-1350 ppm) will help to keep pH stable in the 8.1-8.4 range. We recommend a specific gravity of 1.024-1.026 with 1.025 being ideal for fish. Temperature should remain stable as well and should stay within a 2 degree range.

• Like 1

In terms of the bit larger blennies, I've had 2 different starry blennies over the years and they're my absolute favorite. They do great in a 30-40 gallon tank. They also do a wonderful job eating algae off the rocks. The only issue with them, which can be an issue with any blenny, is that they can bother coral or inverts with they're picking for algae. My most recent starry blenny took to constantly pecking at my clams mantle, I think because it was trying to get the algae off the shell underneath, but it was really irritating the clam. I ended up rehoming the starry blenny with a friend and he's doing well there.

The other good option for a bit larger blenny is of course a midas blenny, but I've had a lot of issues with those coming in with internal parasites and having issues with wasting away over time. I think people have been having better luck with them lately though.

Yeah, I'd have to keep my maxima Lil' Bit in the 10g which is fine but you're right about the midas, so many people who have bought them, are not having success due to sickness so I don't want to chance it.

Yeah, if I don't put macro algae in the tank I'd have to feed them algae.

• Like 1

Yeah, I'd have to keep my maxima Lil' Bit in the 10g which is fine but you're right about the midas, so many people who have bought them, are not having success due to sickness so I don't want to chance it.

Yeah, if I don't put macro algae in the tank I'd have to feed them algae.

Well they will eat lots of algae, but both starry blennies that I've had would eat any fish food like a beast. They're usually very easy to feed. While algae blennies/lawnmower blennies tend to only want to eat algae, starry blennies will usually take to flakes, pellets, frozen food, etc. Mine would eat frozen mysis and stuff like that with all the other fish, and then if there wasn't enough algae in the tank, I'd just give him some spirulina flakes or some herbivore formula pellets. Its also pretty easy to just get a clip and stick a bit of nori sheet to the glass for them to munch on. That's what I do for my tomini tang every couple days.

• Like 1

Here was my starry blenny! He had so much personality. I miss him! I'm still annoyed at him that he was bothering the clam. I got to visit him at my friends house last weekend though because I was fish sitting for him. He's in a 300 gallon tank now with a ton of huge wrasses and tangs, :lol:

IMG_5398.jpg

IMG_5721.jpg

IMG_5781.jpg

IMG_6703.jpg

• Like 3

Wow, he's a really pretty blenny Felicia. I do remember, now that you put the pic up, seeing him in your thread. I didn't know they were that pretty and I love his horns of course! I really like your starry. What pairs well with the larger blenny?

Ammonia is .50, happy to see that.
20160410_163902_zps8avjwezg.jpg
Nitrate is bad either way you look at it. Depending on if you read the light or dark side of the vial.
20160410_163947_zpsxslkpcah.jpg
I have diatoms on the sand and a little on the glass.
20160410_164856_zpsladkbzqr.jpg
And I found my first....aptasia, oh joy is mine. I didn't have any on my KPAquatics rock until like 2 yrs later so it could've come in on something. Put some Aptasia rx on it.
20160410_171026_zpsi4t68hp6.jpg
This is the other bivalve near the yellow sponge.
20160410_165108_zpsqr43syqe.jpg
There's another bivalve in there that looks like it's a moving rock when it moves, kinda freaky, I can't find the top or bottom. It moved when I turned the pump off.
Algea everywhere.
20160410_171038_zpsgbyi00nx.jpg
and these cute things that remind me of christmas trees.
20160410_171046_zpsgtmqulmg.jpg
  • Like 3

They really are pretty blennies! They tend to get overlooked a bit since they aren't bright yellow like the midas blennies, but I love them. They really pair well with almost any fish. They'll really only be aggressive with other fish with the same body shape as them, so basically other blennies. Mine did great with the clownfish and wrasses. Then when I got the lionfish and eel, he did well with those too. Like I said, now he's in a 300 gallon tank with huge wrasses and tangs and holds his own, so they're pretty much good with most fish.

• Like 1

Looks like your cycle is coming along! So much life on those rocks! Its making me want to start a new build so badly. You're at the most fun part! :)

• Like 3

Looks like your cycle is coming along! So much life on those rocks! Its making me want to start a new build so badly. You're at the most fun part! :)

Well. found an aptasia, now I'm wondering if I should get a matted filefish however it says they can also nip at soft corals.

What about an orange spotted blenny...live aquaria says 30 gals. Do a google image search, they are super cute!

http://www.danielhawkins.com/p754596160/h4770D280

Yeah, they do look cute. It's another one to consider.

I wouldn't panic yet with just one aiptasia. Keep your eye out for more, but a lot of times if you catch them early, you'll only ever have a couple.

• Like 1

Yep, it's coming along. I've never cycled one with this much vegetation on it. It's crazy. So the awful ammonia is gone but now the nitrate is so intense.

I just love the eyelashes that the starry blenny has, that is the best part of mine :D

Lets see a pic of yours since Felicia showed hers!

• Like 2
jedimasterben

Lets see a pic of yours since Felicia showed hers!

Rather poor photo, was taken with my phone, but I haven't broken out my DSLR in quite a while. :)

26299827445_d385477de4_b.jpg

• Like 8