inTank Media Baskets

Bloomin' Tank of GeNRosity

FlowerMama

Nice, I wish my petco did a good job on their aquatics but they suck. Riddled with death and ick... I have bought some sexy shrimp for them though.

That's a nice looking seahare too.

Where would you even put a 5" long, inch wide sea hare? I was huge, it was more like sea cow!! The north store has ich and algae, and foggy waters. The south store has always been better and they actually employ people that have saltwater tanks. I may even take some pics tomorrow, but at least w/ the partnership of Live Aquaria that place had nice things.

They also had that crab that's not much friendly to anything, they look so disney, long legs, long face, you know the ones. So w/ 20% off that'd be like $5 off the frag so 20 a frag, no shipping, NO BRAINER at this point. And that's great because I only have 3 if you don't count the branching gsp & white pipe organ. if you count the branching gsp. I'm glad I have Gertie's 20g to put them in the meantime cuz I know that I can't just throw everything in there at once.

So far, this is everything I have waiting for this 40 to be ready.

LEATHERS/SOFTIES

Branching gsp

white pipe organ

long polyp toadstool

devil's hand

green sinularia/nepthea

MACRO

red branching macro

gracilaria

neon sea fern

(thinking of codium too for another green one) & I also have caulerpa in Gert's tank

ROCKFLOWER NEMS, 3 plus 10 when I'm ready from VIP.

• Like 5

wow, things sure happened quickly! everything looks great. the light looks really sleek over the 40B

Ha! guess what, even though it was dark in the tank from like 8pm onward, I just turned on the photo light. I see green in the large rose coral!! And I think this gorg will be shedding first thing due to water conditions.

• Like 1

Ha! guess what, even though it was dark in the tank from like 8pm onward, I just turned on the photo light. I see green in the large rose coral!! And I think this gorg will be shedding first thing due to water conditions.

Boy Annette, you sure are a Night owl LOL.

• Like 1

Boy Annette, you sure are a Night owl LOL.

Well, when I don't have to wake up at 6:45am I take full advantage of it on Saturday and sleep in until NOON! haha. And you know when you're excited you can't fall asleep quite yet. Actually, I'm ready to go, just going to read 2 more posts.

wow, things sure happened quickly! everything looks great. the light looks really sleek over the 40B

And Yes, the light looks fantastic and the controller will be fun once I figure it out.

• Like 4

Well, I woke up super late. My dog got into the garbage can yesterday in the bathroom and he threw up twice in the night. I woke up around 7:45, and returned to bed & the next time I awoke was 12:24. OOPS!

Checked ammonia, it's 4, putting cold RO in two 5g buckets as the water got too hot so I can cool it down for the water change. I did put another 1/2 cap of Prime last night. Woke up to gorg losing itself. I just put it in Gertie's tank.

I hope it makes it now that I moved it. Hoping I can save it, if not at least have some healthy parts to cut it up if the other parts don't fill in.

20160403_124837_zpstsyvuugf.jpg

• Like 1

Did a 10g water change for the ammonia reading of 4 and put a capful of Prime. I had to take out pieces of brown/red macro that were floating around & the residual pieces of gorg. I might put it in Else mode to get stuff up with a net.

20160403_132943_zps3ewkidho.jpg

20160403_140535_zps1vbofnm4.jpg

• Like 2
My tiny reef

That looks like my knobby gorg. My crab climbed it making it fall over and several tips fell into the line of fire of my tube anemone and the tips died and shed off exposing the thin skeleton like yours are showing. They are quickly (about a week or so) growing back over so give it time and hopefully it will heal itself.

• Like 2

That looks like my knobby gorg. My crab climbed it making it fall over and several tips fell into the line of fire of my tube anemone and the tips died and shed off exposing the thin skeleton like yours are showing. They are quickly (about a week or so) growing back over so give it time and hopefully it will heal itself.

Thanks, I want to be hopeful, really hoping it can be saved.

My tiny reef

Thanks, I want to be hopeful, really hoping it can be saved.

Are any polyps opening on it? Even mine I bought healthy took a few days for all polyps to open, so it may still be in shock from shipment. If they do start to open you could try to spot feed it some zooplankton or Cyclopeez, something tiny, to help it along.

See, it wasn't in any water in the box, just wrapped up so there was never any polyp ext to begin with. It wasn't even a slow melt, I shook it lightly and some just fell off into the water. So it may have died before I got it. I don't know why he didn't put that one in a bag with water.

cant wait to see what scape you come up with

Me too! I can't wait til it's time. Not sure what I'll do, it just depends on the rock structure and I have to wait and see what's all growing on the rock to know what part of rock I want covered up by another.

This tank so far has been so fun and I don't even have but 3 nems right now. I'm enjoying buying all the little frags, enjoy the light, I have so much to leanrn, enjoy that so many people helped make it possible for me to keep going right away. The 60 was to be a fun tank and with the cyanodino it took all the fun out of it, and lugging buckets up/down stairs.

• Like 3

Yeah, after one day it was 2, this morning 4, then I changed out 8g (thought it was 10) around 3ish when I took the gorg out, and then now 8 so I felt I had to change out some more. I'm doing a 12g change right now.

• Like 1

Looks like you are off to a good start!

What I did with my gulf live rock was cycle it in as small of a container as possible that would still cover the rock. i think I ended up using a 10g aquarium only 1/2 full of water. This way I could do 100% water changes 1-2+ times a day very easy. Just a thought if the water changes get out of hand.

Oh I also inspected the rock every day and removed anything dead and dosed prime between each change.

• Like 3

Yeah, I've got the Prime. I put a cap yesterday and then earlier today I put some w/ the 8g water change, just now I put a capful. I just checked it again and it showed....much better!! 3.75-4 but that's much better than 8.

20160404_012954_zpsohgxgrau.jpg

But this is cool! After the water change earlier today look what I found. This looks to be a cute colony. It was navy blue with cream.

20160403_202708_zps4mpzhd8c.jpg

Hoping the nitrite happens soon. I don't have a nitrite kit but of course I have the nitrate kit. Been so long since I cycled a tank, in my 10g I had a short cycle. I think it missed a step. I just ordered the 160g of salt from Reef Crystals again. I have enough for another 10-12g water change. Salt will come in on Wed.

Looks like you are off to a good start!

What I did with my gulf live rock was cycle it in as small of a container as possible that would still cover the rock. i think I ended up using a 10g aquarium only 1/2 full of water. This way I could do 100% water changes 1-2+ times a day very easy. Just a thought if the water changes get out of hand.

Oh I also inspected the rock every day and removed anything dead and dosed prime between each change.

That's a really smart way of doing it. I'll have to remember that down the line. Great tip, thank you!

• Like 2
jedimasterben

Don't be afraid to use Prime. Triple your current dose and see where that gets you, and then do that dose a couple times a day to keep ammonia down. Doing less than a 100% water change won't get you very far in reducing ammonia. :)

• Like 1

I actually had ammonia 2, then it jumped to 4 in an afternoon so I did a 8g change and put prime and a little bacter boost, then at night it was an 8, so I did a 12g water change. After that is was like at 4 and here's today....so I think it's going well.

20160404_184231_zpsakdksqbl.jpg

Here are some pics, I know it's hard to see.

But more life is coming back.

I don't know what the speck is but it's neon yellow.

20160404_193940_zps0jejugth.jpg

The pretty little worms, they have that center fan that comes out too.

20160404_022525_zpsbjbfkldq.jpg

rose coral is getting green and there's a sponge in the back that while deflated is looking better.

20160404_194405_zps9ncz9aj8.jpg

The backside of those bivalves in the back

20160404_194416_zpsjvsnqox1.jpg

One of the bivalves open

20160404_194532_zpslwcqsid4.jpg

some macro

20160404_194424_zpsygyaswwm.jpg

some more macro

20160404_194608_zpse1tqreqn.jpg

I did just find another bivalve on the opposite side of the large rose coral. I'm happy about those, they should help keep this tank clean. 3 big ones.

20160404_201259_zps0ac864e4.jpg

• Like 4

So I put it on demo and did get better pics of my rock. I haven't had time yet to play around much w/ the controller. I don't even know how to take it off Fiji. But here are some better pics. No difference in ammonia right now. I'll be curious tomorow.

20160404_215559_zpsrvonb4pb.jpg

20160404_215443_zps1nz5nezu.jpg

You can see the rose coral and then a sponge back there.

20160404_215404_zpsm9g2tegk.jpg

20160404_215349_zpsjnxml6se.jpg

20160404_215343_zpsrmqevsnn.jpg

20160404_215534_zpsutw2euhi.jpg

20160404_215540_zpsesip727a.jpg

20160404_215541_zps4ojs7jf2.jpg

• Like 2