Top Shelf Aquatics

Bloomin' Tank of GeNRosity

FlowerMama

As long as it's less toxic in there, that's what I'm hoping for. Water is made but not heated or salted. I'll see how it is tomorrow. I don't want to do too many water changes and prolong it.

I hope you're keeping a close eye on Gerties tank since you put that Gorg in there? You don't want to take any chances with her tank. That rock is stunning, did you have it overnighted? I got mine regular priority mail and it came much drier than yours appears.

jedimasterben

Prime converts nh3 to nh4 so it will still register as ammonia not ammonium

+1, the API test kit has no clue what it is measuring, so it will measure high no matter what. Order an Ammonia Alert badge and put it in and it will show you the actual ammonia level in real time. :)

• Like 1

So the ammonia is at 8 again. Do I do a water change or let it ride out? the most I've taken out was 8 gallons and then last time 12.

I hope you're keeping a close eye on Gerties tank since you put that Gorg in there? You don't want to take any chances with her tank. That rock is stunning, did you have it overnighted? I got mine regular priority mail and it came much drier than yours appears.

It was sent out Wed evening I got it Fri mid-day at work. And I'm thinking of doing a 5 g change for Gertie's tank and using that water and the rest the new if I do like 12g.

I used the Dr. Weiss bacteria booster so not sure if I should let it be or do water change, it's just the 2nd time it's gone to 8.

I'm thinking 12 g water change and putting more bacteria and Dr. Tims but I need some reassurance if that's what I should do.

jedimasterben

If you are dosing prime, then you cannot use your API test kit to test for ammonia, as it cannot tell what is ammonia and what is not.

I thought it was still there and it just makes the water less toxic? Guess I'm wrong. So what is your suggestion, just do water change and forget the Prime & do the bacteria boost?

Been playing around in Photo Mode to understand more of what happens when I change the various channels.

1st one I created. Not bad but not good. Settings were:

Royal Blue 1%

White 80%

White 52%

Violet 0

Blue/Cyan 9%

Fan 70%

20160405_201030_zpsr4tgiy4g.jpg

This is my best one so far

Royal Blue 20%

White 60%

White 60%

Violet 20%

Blue/Cyan 30%

Fan 70%

20160405_203733_zpsy8zcu1zm.jpg

• Like 3

Pics in this mode versus the darkness the last couple days.

20160405_190354_zpsvkyfvhdu.jpg

20160405_190048_zps96grmkb3.jpg

Do you think this yellow sponge is shedding and might be ok? It looks awfully deflated.

20160405_190053_zpsyme95aty.jpg

20160405_190439_zpsvfv5tdei.jpg

20160405_185959_zpssgzggvxi.jpg

20160405_185952_zpsuagvhocq.jpg

20160405_190431_zpsqd9mlrk1.jpg

20160405_190424_zpsu16ljkjn.jpg

20160405_173645_zpspe8hffkr.jpg

20160405_173548_zpsk0m1ghpk.jpg

• Like 3

I ended up taking 12g of water out of the tank and replacing 4g out of Gertie's tank, and then 2 fresh ones, one w/ the bacteria boost. Not using anymore Prime.

Still stinky.

I was looking at your rock pics today and was trying to ID some of the life when I ran across this site. It has a hitchhiker ID section that they call their species list.

http://floridaliverock.com/species-list/

Thanks, that belongs on some list/thread or something here. Hard to tell so early in but I'm sure some of it is sponges, tunicates.

jedimasterben

I thought it was still there and it just makes the water less toxic? Guess I'm wrong. So what is your suggestion, just do water change and forget the Prime & do the bacteria boost?

No, you will need to do minimum 50% water changes and probably daily to be able to keep up. Keep using Prime, no water changes. Never heard of bacteria boost, but if it's a Marc Weiss product, then I would say to get something else, they don't have a great reputation.

• Like 1

No, you will need to do minimum 50% water changes and probably daily to be able to keep up. Keep using Prime, no water changes. Never heard of bacteria boost, but if it's a Marc Weiss product, then I would say to get something else, they don't have a great reputation.

Ammonia said 4 today. Much better than last night's 8. I'm not going to do anything else except put another capful of prime.

Good news is I saw tissue growing back on the top of the rose coral, strong guy growing in ammonia of 8. Do you think it helped when I added 4 g of established tank water to it? (and then 8g new water).

Hey, you're so knowledgeable about lighting, my friend was asking me how the Quad stacks up to Al Nano. I don't know anything about that brand? What say you?

Just to add another Hitchhiker site. I Posted this Link in ID Forum.

http://chucksaddiction.thefishestate.net/hitchhikers.html

I'd love to replace some of my LR from Gulf LR! That stuff looks amazing! I Love looking at our Tank and looking for new "Growth".

You just never know!

This is where I wish I still had an Evolve 8. Because with a magnifying glass I can check out all the rock, here I can see the first row. That is one let down leaving a tiny tank and being up close & personal w/ all the little things.

That is some amazingly live live-rock! Even if a lot of it dies off I bet it comes back over time!

That's certainly what I'm hoping for too.

Gorg, a big EHHHH. I took it out of Gert's tank to rinse off any decaying matter, all of it fell off. Nothing was clinging for dear life. I'm hoping like a tree that it's living inside and that it grows back. Would it help to cut it down or just leave it?

• Like 2
Starting to get those little evergreen looking things and also those little cute green plants that look like tea cups stacked on one another, tiny itsy bitsy, you all know the ones.

20160406_184623_zpssqpcpf0g.jpg

and I'm seeing brown on the rocks today, that wasn't there yesterday so something's certainly occuring.

• Like 3

fingerscrossed:scarry: Hoping things go well. I am along for the ride with ya FlowerMama...

Thanks. It's an exciting ride so far. I just checked nitrate. 2.5 so I don't know if it's possible if I can have all 3 at once but I have ammo & have nitrate (possibly from adding some yesterday though Gert's tank is at 5 on nitrate) unless that with the bacteria booster helped it out.

Video coming soon!!!

• Like 2

Hope I don't make anyone sea sick, pretend you're snorkeling and you're backing away from a jellyfish at the end, or a shark, whatever.

• Like 3
jedimasterben

Ammonia said 4 today. Much better than last night's 8. I'm not going to do anything else except put another capful of prime.

Good news is I saw tissue growing back on the top of the rose coral, strong guy growing in ammonia of 8. Do you think it helped when I added 4 g of established tank water to it? (and then 8g new water).

Hey, you're so knowledgeable about lighting, my friend was asking me how the Quad stacks up to Al Nano. I don't know anything about that brand? What say you?

Well, the ammonia actually wasn't 8ppm, it was probably around 1ppm or so :)

The water itself holds so little bacteria that the chances of any taking hold in the system and then forming large colonies in such a short amount of time is extremely unlikely. Not impossible, but the math just isn't there lol

The AI Nano was in general a terrible light. Very harsh in tone and gave poor coloration to anything that didn't glow green. It was also super tiny, so it didn't have a lot of coverage.

• Like 1

Hey Jedi, I See that ur Near "Okeechobee", Did ya see the news about that 15' Gator that was caught? 15'!!! 780 lbs!

• Like 1

Hey Jedi, I See that ur Near "Okeechobee", Did ya see the news about that 15' Gator that was caught? 15'!!! 780 lbs!

Good God Almighty that's huge!!!

• Like 1
jedimasterben

Yeah, it was pretty big. I might have seen bigger, though :D Been out a lot with my dad and grandpa in their boats, way out in the middle of nowhere in the lake and around it, and seen some that were longer than the boat. :o

And every time I was all 'yeah, i think i'll just stay home next time!' :)

I actually went to high school with the guy that got this big'un, too.

• Like 3