ReefCleaners.org

Bloomin' Tank of GeNRosity

FlowerMama

That is some incredibly "live" live rock!! Can't wait to see it under water and under the lights.

Yes, me too.

I'm trying to configure. Have android, Samsung, power saving mode is off and color is not on auto.

Holding it right next to the screen. My wi-fi is on. Aargh. I'm so close.

And pics for new page.

First, what my condo living room is like.

20160401_014440_zpsgxf708az.jpg

20160401_014506_zpsjx0ugecr.jpg

The tank

20160401_182545_zpsqhcqczrp.jpg

I think a deflated yellow ball sponge.

20160401_184409_zps9jv9woz2.jpg

20160401_184836_zpsbmjjzbyk.jpg

20160401_184940_zpsqdupujxu.jpg

a black sponge maybe?

20160401_185055_zpsl9gp5xnk.jpg

20160401_185216_zpscwo7awm6.jpg

20160401_185503_zpskotkl8zc.jpg

An entire gorg on it's own island. It's like a foot long.

20160401_185705_zpscdvwoqkt.jpg

Cute fuzzy red sponge. Its so bright.

20160401_190005_zpsyfi84gd4.jpg

probably a 2" rose coral and I think I see a limpet below?

20160401_190155_zpsx6ae0nwy.jpg

I don't know what the shiny brown is

20160401_190550_zpsgxdbgwak.jpg

a turned view of it so you can see more

20160401_190606_zpsstmn4clb.jpg

huge bivalve and oh my, I think I just noticed I have one underneath it too!

20160401_190834_zpsodmzntur.jpg

same rock

20160401_190840_zpsar7e0lg5.jpg

and same rock

20160401_190846_zps4cmrhu65.jpg

They didn't make it

20160401_191111_zpsprjn7lah.jpg

Tank is just under half full, warming up a 5 gal bucket while I make some more in the Brute. Gonna get a heater in the tank and then after that some flow.

20160401_202404_zpsztrvekjw.jpg

Whoo Hoo!! Finally got synced up. I don't know what I'm doing but having fun. Here's a cool shot. Sun coming in from kitchen, hitting plants on the bar making awesome shadows over my tank, one of them being an air plant in the form of a jellyfish. I don't know how to get it to do only 50% on each. Thought I did it but I didn't.

20160402_130042_zpsvus8sldq.jpg

• Like 3

i'm laughing and crying right now because I just played a thunderstorm and with the controller you can hear rain and the lighting coincides w/ the blinking and I can't believe NR did this for me.

• Like 2

I'll probably have to get a new phone down the line or something. As long as I'm hooked up to something for the moment at least I have some light, some variation.

Phew! smells like ocean in here, going to the store for some test kits. I think Petco has Salifert Ammonia, nitrite & nitrate and I need some Chick-Fila!

We have ammonia! If I want to do a soft cycle as I have a large gorg in there and rose coral, do I do that tomorrow already and do a 10% or should I put the gorg island in Gertie's tank along w/ the rose? What's the better way to try save them?

20160402_183845_zpsl5uzxlds.jpg

• Like 1

Beautiful live rock. Best rock I ever had was florida rock. I had a bunch in my old nano, so much life on it. Good and bad. New things where constantly popping up, sponges, eunicids (mine never caused problems just scary looking at feeding time), had a few urchins pop up, decorator crab, so many bivalves and ect. Can't wait to see all the things that pop up in your tank. I got mine from a lfs that had it in a big tub so most the die off was already done. I bet you will still have some more skrimps and crabs in there that make it.

• Like 2

I am sure with that rock you will get ammonia and if it was me I would just keep doing water changes. The rock is fresh and am sure there was die off.

• Like 1

I just got back from a friend's bonfire, smell nice like wood, I opened the door and the smell is mighty pungent right now! We have ocean big time.

I see various macros, I saw an itty bitty crab dead, the water's been clearing up some more. I have seen 2 more spots of like a nickel size rose coral, aside from the big one. Lights out in Fiji but you can see it has cleared up more. I measured, this gorg is 8".

20160402_233042_zpsqpxju9l5.jpg

20160402_233201_zpsezc2mc4u.jpg

This I find interesting. A whole bunch of little tubes w/ red at the end.

20160402_233252_zps2yxow1ub.jpg

20160402_233302_zpscqwtokkx.jpg

20160402_233151_zpsq8jjd3ly.jpg

I have the magnifying glass so I might see what I can find up front anyways.

Do you think it's worth moving the gorg to Gert's tank at this time??? And the large rose coral??? I know i've been told that while it looks like just a skull there's probably life. I don't want to lose any. Should I also put my skimmer in tomorrow after a 10g water change? Or should I not do a water change yet? I've just never had so much life on it so I don't know what to do.

• Like 3

cool, looks like you might end up with a nice red feather duster colony. I got no advice as far as the cycle. That ammonia was pretty high though. If it was my tank i'd probably do a bit of a change just so I don't loose some of the other life on the rock. Either that or some prime.

• Like 3

cool, looks like you might end up with a nice red feather duster colony. I got no advice as far as the cycle. That ammonia was pretty high though. If it was my tank i'd probably do a bit of a change just so I don't loose some of the other life on the rock. Either that or some prime.

Oh yeah, I have some prime. Not much but it's something. Think I should put some in tonight or wait until I do the 10g water change tomorrow? Ok, just checked, I have half a small bottle, that's good, one cap is 50g. Is it safe for me to put 1 capful even thought it's a 40g w/ 35 lbs of rock, it's probably more like 35g.

• Like 1

not sure one can really over dose prime. Especially since there's no fish. I'm not experienced enough to give sound advice on the matter though. 2.0 is really high, i'd imagine that a capful would bring you down to the 1.0 range... is there a target range for a cycle?

either a little prime tonight and water change tomorrow or if the smell is as strong as you say i'd probably just do the water change tonight.

i'm sensitive to smells. I wouldn't be able to sleep with the house stinky.

did you buy live sand from them too? I might do that on my next tank for a little bio diversity.

Great job hanging the light! Looks very sleek!

Glad you got the live rock so you could get the cycle started. That is some seriously LIVE rock! That will be fun to watch for hitchhikers during the cycle :)

• Like 2

Just do a water change and you could try the skimmer it can not hurt. If it was me I would probably change out 10 gallons or so every few days.

Yes red feather dusters nice.......

• Like 2

For substrate I did Tropic Eden Live Reeflakes Sand 20lb & Tropic Eden Mesoflakes 30lb. I put 1/2 a capful. I only have one 5g ready so I'd have to make some. I'll do tomorrow morning.

I'll do a 10g water change tomorrow. Making the water now. I found a tiny crab, the body the size of the yellow smiley with claws. dead. : (

• Like 2

For substrate I did Tropic Eden Live Reeflakes Sand 20lb & Tropic Eden Mesoflakes 30lb. I put 1/2 a capful. I only have one 5g ready so I'd have to make some. I'll do tomorrow morning.

5 will work and just start filling buckets with RO and go from there. Or you could even do a water change on the tanks you have and just use that water.

I have a 20L in the garage with rock for a new tank that I am trying to get going and I just use the water from my other 2 tanks in it. Toss the water out of the rock tank and fill with used water out of the established tanks.

• Like 1

So lots of life on the rock, much more than KPAquatics but KPAquatics is definitely much more porous. Win some lose some. Now next time, whenever that would be, I need KPAquatics rock w/ the life on it from Gulf Live Rock. That would be a win/win.

5 will work and just start filling buckets with RO and go from there. Or you could even do a water change on the tanks you have and just use that water.

I have a 20L in the garage with rock for a new tank that I am trying to get going and I just use the water from my other 2 tanks in it. Toss the water out of the rock tank and fill with used water out of the established tanks.

Makes sense. I'm good w/ the other ones right now, don't need to change. I did last weekend, wasn't going to do until next weekend on the 10g & 20g.

• Like 1

Oh, Felicia, I went to Petco today and thought of you. They had an eel as small as a toothbrush. So small. There's another Petco across from where I work, it's lousy, but this one in the south part of town shocked me today.

They had $24.99 frags of Kenya, singularia, nepthea, xenia (and there's a 20% sale through tomorrow), also what looks like a toadstool and on the right side a leather , and maybe 10 zoas, green trumpets, some favia, cheato, a cute black blenny - was only 9.99 (it looks like those red ones that eat pods but black only). and several decorator crabs, maybe 4 feathers, a huge, I mean huge sea hare.

Look at this thing, it was fat and over an inch wide and like 5" long. I took a video but I accidentally deleted instead of uploading.

20160402_165459_zpsfu5cva5n.jpg

Anyway, I'm tempted to go back tomorrow for the 24.99 Kenya and another leather shaped like a tree.

The girl said they get stuff from not only Live Aquaria because of the ownership, but also ORA. She's like, if you ever need anything, let me know and I'll see if I can get it. There tanks were clean, the one by work is just horrible. These were 2" frags with branches so goes well w/ everything else I have as they're all small.

Crap, here comes the rationalization (I usually get his chews at Petsmart) I'm gonna have to go tomorrow anyway, Hagen needs chews.

• Like 3

Nice, I wish my petco did a good job on their aquatics but they suck. Riddled with death and ick... I have bought some sexy shrimp for them though.

That's a nice looking seahare too.