SaltCritters.com

Bloomin' Tank of GeNRosity

FlowerMama

I love the little details.

Look at the sponge here, like white snow stepped on by a dog.

20160406_224241_zpssmrjc1ze.jpg

Just these purple things

20160406_224335_zpshiqgv2c2.jpg

I love what look like little tree sprouts. I'm hoping that red sponge comes through to the right.

20160406_224320_zpspk2rjjje.jpg

This was the prev picture of that sponge.

20160401_190005_zpsyfi84gd4.jpg

• Like 4

Seriously...this rock is ridiculously full of life :o. It's like the rock you see advertised with gorgeous photos but then it's never what they actually send. But this company actually came through and sent you incredibly live rock :).

• Like 2

Seriously...this rock is ridiculously full of life :o. It's like the rock you see advertised with gorgeous photos but then it's never what they actually send. But this company actually came through and sent you incredibly live rock :).

That is why I wish I knew about Gulf Live Rock before I set up our Tank. I Love looking for critters.

• Like 2

That is why I wish I knew about Gulf Live Rock before I set up our Tank. I Love looking for critters.

Future tank. There will always be a future tank ;).
  • Like 3

I tell ya though, I may not have many critters because it's not internally as porous at all like KPAquatics but even if I retain some plant life I'll be happy. There's some red stuff attached to one of the bivalves, I have no idea what it is. Much more brown today, diatoms.

Readings 5 for nitrate when yesterday it was 2.5.

Ammonia is remaining like at 4, so not much change there. And somewhere in between there's nitrite but I don't have a kit.

Critters was my KPAquatics rock for the 34g and my 20g. 3 mantis, ocean spider, brittle worms & star, hairy chiton and one other I can't remember and 2 curlique anemone.

Future tank. There will always be a future tank ;).

I might just do a mix of both one day far down the line.

Going to be great! May make a trip in a few months to see it!

-Dave

Yeah, sure, come my way, come to Beer Town. One day I'll go back out your way and visit you and MIrya. I wish it was done cycling. I want to play with my rock.

• Like 3

I think those little tree twigs are a type of galaxaura or maybe a branching coralline algae.

You will be surprised on that rock. The stuff I had bought was pretty dense and non pourus too but I had new stuff popping out of it over a year later that I had never seen before. urchins, crabs, sponges, eunicids (you probably got em) feather dusters ect.

I was new to the hobby then so intentionally bought rocks covered in aptasia because it was life and I didn't know better. my next tank I set up I will def order some rock and sand from them though. I'm excited to see what you get.

Tank cleared up at all, any new pics?

Oh, yeah, thanks for reminding me. I had like 5 pencil urchins, one of them black and rock boring and itty bitty feathers I forgot about. I do like the surprises live rock bring.

What can BROWN do your YOU! I saw them yesterday but today more prolific.

20160407_203654_zpslulmhywy.jpg

and some pics of the light!

20160406_185739_zpsvxwlznmu.jpg

20160406_185709_zpstiosgnah.jpg

20160406_185813_zpskmgc1xhw.jpg

Right, I was wondering/hoping but I felt good about it after I saw Aviator's rock as he'd only received his 2 wks prior I believe.

Oh, yeah, thanks for reminding me. I had like 5 pencil urchins, one of them black and rock boring and itty bitty feathers I forgot about. I do like the surprises live rock bring.

What can BROWN do for YOU! I saw them yesterday but today more prolific. I bought 35lbs and got 37, definitely didn't need more, a whole tank full. And the gorg rock is in Gert's tank.

20160407_205242_zpsu6wxpkku.jpg

20160407_203714_zpsgaduknms.jpg

20160407_203654_zpslulmhywy.jpg

and some pics of the light!

20160406_185739_zpsvxwlznmu.jpg

20160406_185709_zpstiosgnah.jpg

20160406_185813_zpskmgc1xhw.jpg

• Like 6

looks like another one to the left of it, can see the tentacles down in the skeleton. Looks to still be alive

I was thinking so as well. Only saw it when I put the pic in Photobucket then I saw the line of balls there, like in waiting before it takes the spotlight.

• Like 1

I tell ya though, I may not have many critters because it's not internally as porous at all like KPAquatics but even if I retain some plant life I'll be happy. There's some red stuff attached to one of the bivalves, I have no idea what it is. Much more brown today, diatoms.

plants, sponges, corals and coralline galore :). I think it would be worth it to lose out on porous rock to get so much life like that. My KPA rock didn't compare at all to that. Even though it is good live rock and I was happy with it. I think a mix of the two is a great idea :).

• Like 2

Big difference overnight in the diatoms. From yes I have them to the dark & dingy. Ammonia was 3-4. I only had one drop of solution for my nitrate test so I when I visit w/ my parents tomorrow I'll pick one up at Petco on the way in. My brother & I have to get on the phone & he needs to walk me through mom's computer because she can't double click, right click, left click & she needs to have it looked at.

20160408_192052_zpsmxbfje6i.jpg

And here's the rose coral, what growth it's had in a week (tank started on 4/1), it was just skull at first.

20160408_192012_zpst07tz0ts.jpg

• Like 2

I love how sleek the NanoBox light looks over this tank! Great job getting it all hung up.

Also loving seeing all the different varieties of critters on this live rock! That's one of the most fun parts about setting up a new tank!

I love how sleek the NanoBox light looks over this tank! Great job getting it all hung up.

Also loving seeing all the different varieties of critters on this live rock! That's one of the most fun parts about setting up a new tank!

Yeah, well I can thank my neighbor, he was the one that put it up for me. It sure does look nice though. I have to start playing around with the controller and thinking about settings, it's still on Fiji which I find dark. VIP Reef asked me when I wanted to receive my nems, I told him I've only cycled a week but that he could send them next week if he wanted, I could just put them in 2 fish nets in the 10g or something. RIght now it's Bloomin' Diatoms like mad. Just nothing on the sand. Colorful sponges are all turning ghostly white now.

After I get the nitrate test, if nitrates is less and ammonia is less or gone, should I bring over some turbos from Gertie's tank? or is it too soon? I have to show no ammonia, right? Been so long since I had a real cycle I honestly can't remember.

• Like 1

And here's the rose coral, what growth it's had in a week (tank started on 4/1), it was just skull at first.

20160408_192012_zpst07tz0ts.jpg

I think the rose coral is the neatest HH you got!!!!! I can't wait to see what it looks like when it comes back all the way!!!! It looks like it may be a pink/red coral!!!!
  • Like 2

I think the rose coral is the neatest HH you got!!!!! I can't wait to see what it looks like when it comes back all the way!!!! It looks like it may be a pink/red coral!!!!

Yes, I'm excited about this the most, then those cute little feathers and then the 3-4 bivalves I have that should help water conditions a little I hope. Considering it's coming back under the worst parameters for a week already and it'll only get better, I feel good about it. I need to look them up. I don't know what colors they come in but I'm seeing a mint green coming in.

• Like 1

Yeah, well I can thank my neighbor, he was the one that put it up for me. It sure does look nice though. I have to start playing around with the controller and thinking about settings, it's still on Fiji which I find dark. VIP Reef asked me when I wanted to receive my nems, I told him I've only cycled a week but that he could send them next week if he wanted, I could just put them in 2 fish nets in the 10g or something. RIght now it's Bloomin' Diatoms like mad. Just nothing on the sand. Colorful sponges are all turning ghostly white now.

After I get the nitrate test, if nitrates is less and ammonia is less or gone, should I bring over some turbos from Gertie's tank? or is it too soon? I have to show no ammonia, right? Been so long since I had a real cycle I honestly can't remember.

I'm about two weeks ahead of you and just finishing up the diatom stage. I put a couple turbos in my little 5 gal and they cleaned the diatoms in about 2 days. Also, I don't have near the life on my 5lbs of rock as you do on your 10,000,000 lbs so my ammonia never got over about 0.25. Looking great, keep it going.

Ammonia at 2, the lowest it's been since the cycle began a week ago on 4/1. Hurray. I'll test the nitrate later when I have the kit.

20160409_144207_zpszhb6nzgi.jpg

Yes, I'm excited about this the most, then those cute little feathers and then the 3-4 bivalves I have that should help water conditions a little I hope. Considering it's coming back under the worst parameters for a week already and it'll only get better, I feel good about it. I need to look them up. I don't know what colors they come in but I'm seeing a mint green coming in.

I think green is the most common...like most things in nature.
  • Like 1

I like green in the tank. Well, I don't have to be at my mom's house until later so I'm going to go to the Petco now for that test kit, grab something to eat.

• Like 1