Coral Vue Hydros

Bloomin' Tank of GeNRosity

FlowerMama

Awesome picture mark. Looks really nice in your tank. His color compliments the landscape well.

Glad I read this, I was gonna order 6 Black Cap Basslets, but if they're nasty little shits, screw that. I'll order Swissguards instead.

Also sounds like there'd be a lot of feuding over hiding spots.

• Like 3

Right now as it sits it's uneven, anywhere 2.25- 3" everywhere but for rock flowers I won't need more than an inch on the bottom for them to secure themselves so I can slope sand to be as deep as 5-7" near the rockwork.

• Like 1

Finally hooked up everything to the power strip correctly and and hid all the wires and the strip in the opening of the entertainment center. Without a sump this as neat as it's going to be with skimmer on it and such. I need to clean that basket over there in back. Skimmer quickly filled up an inch and now it's slow since then so that's great. I didn't want to have to get up thinking there was water on the floor. Probably due to Prime I had in there. I did discover I'm missing a cover on the part of the skimmer that releases water back in, output I guess Ill call it. I'll have to try to find it, I'll need to prevent any snail from going in.

20160417_232324_zps2gnvdhxh.jpg

20160417_225509_zpspjcjc2g4.jpg

Could someone tell me what kind of bivalves these are? The top looks like an oyster to me but the bottom one is different.

20160417_232351_zpsko6lit6z.jpg

• Like 3

Darn. Just remembered I'll have to get one more thing added/plugged in. The AC70 filter with carbon.

Oh, and I'm thinking of keeping the light off the next couple of days to help the algae go away.

• Like 1

Those are called Cock's Comb clams and Jewel Box oysters FM. I take it that's Caribbean live rock?

Yes, from Gulf Live Rock. Gulf side of Florida apparently. Cock's comb and Jewel Box oysters. That's interesting, thanks. It's nice to know I have more things helping to filter the water.

looking good.

Thanks. Frank at VIPReef is sending the flowers out tomorrow!!! I guess I better play around with the rock and try to scape it. Then I'll do a water change tomorrow. Junk's going to get into the water column from doing this. I gotta be careful not to cover up anything I like.

This was the skimmer since it was turned on late last night, it filled up quick with an inch first so level was too high in the tank at the moment, but it's definitely pulling.

20160418_173054_zpsz8wjla0y.jpg

• Like 6
StinkyBunny

Just make sure they're still alive. If they check out, they can cause issues quickly. Also watch for sponge die off. When M and I had our shop we were bringing in 400lbs of live rock every week from Florida.

I have my girl in LA hunting down some Weeping Willow leathers for us. I have someone who can walk into all of the wholesalers there and get stuff for me.

• Like 3

Oh yeah, they're opening closing and then one rock is mystery, I can't find the opening but if I touch the rock, it moves. Freaky but cool. Like someone turning their head but you don't see who they are. Maybe once snails it a little covering off I'll see better.

Just make sure they're still alive. If they check out, they can cause issues quickly. Also watch for sponge die off. When M and I had our shop we were bringing in 400lbs of live rock every week from Florida.

I have my girl in LA hunting down some Weeping Willow leathers for us. I have someone who can walk into all of the wholesalers there and get stuff for me.

SB, You have a shop? Online site? What's up?

• Like 1

This was the skimmer since it was turned on late last night, it filled up quick with an inch first so level was too high in the tank at the moment, but it's definitely pulling.

20160418_173054_zpsz8wjla0y.jpg

What kind of skimmer do you have?

StinkyBunny

We used to have a shop back in 1996. We'll be opening another as soon as I can sell a piece of property I have. I moved my machine shop and with the left over money from the sale of the other property, we're thinking about opening another one.

• Like 2

So, please tell us, I'd really be interested to know since it's a 20 yr span, how have you seen reefshops and wholesaling change in that time period?

What kind of skimmer do you have?

Reef Octopus BH-90 HOB. I love it, it's so much better than my intank NWB 110 that I had. This is quieter and pulls much better and it's easier to control than what looked like a garden hose turn knob on the 110.

StinkyBunny

Not a whole hell of a lot has changed other than the addition of Australia and Fiji for corals. You could only get corals out of Indonesia back then. Shipping costs have damn near doubled. What used to cost $150 per box shipping is now close to $300. Other than that, not much. back then fragging was in its infancy as was the internet. My machine shop was taking off at the time, the fish business wasn't. We got 3 bad shipments out of Sri Lanka, M wiped out her knee and we both decided that we'd shut it down and cut our losses. We'll get back into the retail side again. There's a bank about 2 miles away that's been on the market for 3 years that I'd love to have, it's perfect for a reef store. I'll never rent, I'm not paying someone else's mortgage for them.

• Like 3

Thanks. Internet has changed ordering I'm sure. Banks usually have nice spaces with unique floor plans. And hey, the wonderful Island that is for all the various stubs you could fill out would be perfect for a display tank!

• Like 1

Scaping over here, hard to do when you can't see. But at least it's mixing the water up some so it can get in the skimmer. I'll do a water change tomorrow. Too busy now w/ trying to scape. It'll be settled by then.

• Like 2

That's great! It looked out for your zoas.

They gave me a variety. Are any of these mexican turbos?

20160416_212905_zps4husbxdm.jpg

20160416_212919_zpsleawfinw.jpg

20160416_212930_zpsr27qgp0h.jpg

I'm pretty certain the snails in the 1st and 2nd pics are Turbos but the 2 in the 3rd pic are not. In the 3rd pic the one on the right is a Trochus but I don't know what the other one is.

• Like 1

yeah, I figured the right one was trochus or astrea and was hoping judging by a pic I saw that the first two could be so that's why I put them first.

Ah, I wish this wasn't murky, feel like I could do this within an hr if it wouldn't get clouded up. Aaargh. This is gonna be a long night. Then whenever I move it, it changes cuz I can't see the angle.

I'm pretty certain the snails in the 1st and 2nd pics are Turbos but the 2 in the 3rd pic are not. In the 3rd pic the one on the right is a Trochus but I don't know what the other one is.

The last one is margarita turbo. Just checked on google.

I can't wait to get my serpent stars back into a bigger tank. I have to commend them, they've done really well in the 10g, aside from eating escargo and dwindling my snail population.

• Like 1

I am done scaping for the night. I think I really like it but I'll still have to make a change somewhere as I have to leave a spot for the gsp rock from Gertie's tank. But not messing with it tonight. You end up one more time making a stupid change and then you ruin it. I've learned my lesson before.

• Like 4