inTank Media Baskets

IM Nuvo Lagoon 25 Owners Thread

jjwukasch

On 8/26/2020 at 2:20 AM, Clown79 said:

When i had just a regular prime over my lagoon my  rb was 100%, b, v, uv at 80%, w 10%, r&g 4%

Now that i added an hd i run both lights lower. Ab + schedule but with reduced percentages of rb, b, w because my corals were not doing well with both lights being higher.

@Clown79 I'm struggling with whether to use two AI Prime HDs instead of one (I actually already have a 2nd but only one on the tank now) and I'm wondering if you find it difficult to find shaded areas / low PAR areas with the two primes? I want to have mostly LPS with a some easier SPS and want to make sure there is space for the lower light stuff like chalices and favia.

I think in other tanks people would say it is a no brainer to get the better coverage with a 2nd light, but I'm speculating that with this tank being so shallow, that it could be hard to get a range of areas with different PARs for a mixed reef. What has your experience been?

3 hours ago, tranceFusion said:

@Clown79 I'm struggling with whether to use two AI Prime HDs instead of one (I actually already have a 2nd but only one on the tank now) and I'm wondering if you find it difficult to find shaded areas / low PAR areas with the two primes? I want to have mostly LPS with a some easier SPS and want to make sure there is space for the lower light stuff like chalices and favia.

I think in other tanks people would say it is a no brainer to get the better coverage with a 2nd light, but I'm speculating that with this tank being so shallow, that it could be hard to get a range of areas with different PARs for a mixed reef. What has your experience been?

I had full coverage with just 1 prime on my tank. There was minimal shading but my corals were so happy. 

Now with 2, there is very little area in my tank with shade so i struggled and had to lower both lights.

Now my corals are doing good, even my sps are happier.

There is no way either light can get close to its full power.

I run 1 HD on my 20g and things are growing, full, and happy.

I recommend 2 for certain aquascape designs like separate islands or an sps dominant tank.

Otherwise start with 1 and if you need another it can always be added later.

14 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

I had full coverage with just 1 prime on my tank. There was minimal shading but my corals were so happy. 

Now with 2, there is very little area in my tank with shade so i struggled and had to lower both lights.

Now my corals are doing good, even my sps are happier.

There is no way either light can get close to its full power.

I run 1 HD on my 20g and things are growing, full, and happy.

I recommend 2 for certain aquascape designs like separate islands or an sps dominant tank.

Otherwise start with 1 and if you need another it can always be added later.

Ok, thanks! Yeah, I learned pretty quickly, even with just one, that they are powerful lights. I got some live rock covered in coralline and when I put the light on with the default settings (100% across the board), within a day or two all of the coralline turned white.. quickly turned things down to about 50% of the AB+ settings.

So do you think you have a harder time placing LPS even with them turned down, than you did with one?

1 hour ago, tranceFusion said:

Ok, thanks! Yeah, I learned pretty quickly, even with just one, that they are powerful lights. I got some live rock covered in coralline and when I put the light on with the default settings (100% across the board), within a day or two all of the coralline turned white.. quickly turned things down to about 50% of the AB+ settings.

So do you think you have a harder time placing LPS even with them turned down, than you did with one?

I had my tank already set up under one regular ai prime and then i added an hd. Thats when i started having issues even with acclimation. 

So i just lowered them both and run a modified ab+.

If i was starting the tank now, I'd run 1 HD. 

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

I figured I would post up here to see if anyone has done this.  I know a lot are using net tops but like to see if anyone has glass cover.  We have it on our 20l and like it. If we were to have one cut we would definitely have a skimmer before we cover it up. Thoughts?

Is there a way to quiet down the filter socks? 

I run a reactor with carbon/GFO mix, so I am able to take advantage of the filter sock, which I like a lot more for mechanical than just floss, but it's obnoxious. Lol. 

1 minute ago, Kurant said:

Is there a way to quiet down the filter socks? 

I run a reactor with carbon/GFO mix, so I am able to take advantage of the filter sock, which I like a lot more for mechanical than just floss, but it's obnoxious. Lol. 

placing a piece of filter floss in it, thats what will quiet it. Otherwise its a loud filtration method.

I frequently have snails crossing the overflow and causing the rear sump level to drop. This is where my ATO sensor is, so it adds too much water and then goes into an alarm state. Of course, this usually happens in the middle of the night which wakes me up.

Anyone have any ideas on how to keep this from happening?

This guy is extra salty

I’m just following here, cause my tank is similar in water displacement. 

and speaking of lighting anyone running a hybrid setup?

Just got my tank set up this last Wednesday.  Flow seems to be more than I'm wanting, so getting the RFG's.  

Also, anyone have experience with both the AutoAqua Smart Micro ATO and/or the XPAuto Duetto ATO?

2 hours ago, Blklexus74 said:

Just got my tank set up this last Wednesday.  Flow seems to be more than I'm wanting, so getting the RFG's.  

Also, anyone have experience with both the AutoAqua Smart Micro ATO and/or the XPAuto Duetto ATO?

Rfg's don't slow down the flow, they create random flow. Constantly.

Try turning down the mighty jet or switch from wave to regular/vice versa

On 10/20/2020 at 8:14 PM, Clown79 said:

Rfg's don't slow down the flow, they create random flow. Constantly.

Try turning down the mighty jet or switch from wave to regular/vice versa

I respectfully disagree, if not less flow then it is more spread out flow.  Which still helps.  

i.e.  With the regular IM outlets it was hard to find a spot for my Trachy..  the water flow was pushing in on its skin basically collapsing it.  Added the rfg last night in the same mounted position..  All good now.  Either less flow or more dispersed, exactly what I was looking for.   Also, with the stock outlets I was on 1.1 and it was doing this.  With the RFG I'm around 1.2-1.3 and all is good.

Either way, definitely recomend the RFG's in this tank.

Couple of pics...  

67963C9C-EB8A-4F0B-A53A-A9AC6F3C48E7.jpeg

EC564C99-8F1C-4549-989B-CB4FDA4C00AA.jpeg

595C9925-64CA-44B4-A99F-675BDDE24A6D.jpeg

1515894B-D877-4042-9FE6-77D5D44AA5D2.jpeg

• Like 2

I have 2 Sicce 0.5's for returns, Think it's okay to put the biomedia between the pumps? I use a filter sock and think I would like to clear out my media basket for some chemipure instead.. 

• 4 weeks later...

I have my return pump nozzles pointed such that they are slightly out of the water and create a fair amount of ripple. This has served me well so far, but it eliminates one of the reasons I really wanted a Lagoon tank to begin with - I can't really look down into the tank with all of the surface ripple/agitation. Will I get enough gas exchange through just the overflow/rear sump if I point the nozzles downard to create a stiller surface? Also, do the RFG nozzles produce a lot of surface ripple?

7 hours ago, tranceFusion said:

I have my return pump nozzles pointed such that they are slightly out of the water and create a fair amount of ripple. This has served me well so far, but it eliminates one of the reasons I really wanted a Lagoon tank to begin with - I can't really look down into the tank with all of the surface ripple/agitation. Will I get enough gas exchange through just the overflow/rear sump if I point the nozzles downard to create a stiller surface? Also, do the RFG nozzles produce a lot of surface ripple?

You want surface water movement. 

On 9/25/2020 at 2:38 PM, tranceFusion said:

Just ask Batman... growing Acans at maybe 40 par. Montis exploding at 60-70 par. Lights turned down 25-36%

6F32C7BC-59E9-4292-AB0A-52E0839A9D69.jpeg

On 11/16/2020 at 6:41 PM, Daniel Name said:

Hello !

Does anybody use fan on the Lagoon? Any suggestions?

Thanks

I have a GHL breeze hooked up on mine in the summer. It’s the 4 model and works really well for me.

Hey, this is a good thread! I’ve been with my first tank for over two years now. Nice little budget tank, but I’ve got the upgrade bug. My rocks are sentimental, so I really like how I could pick up my whole aquascape and plop it in a larger tank. Maybe flesh it out with another piece or two of rock.

77FB6971-0D60-44E4-B953-55FFF2524CCE.jpeg

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...