Top Shelf Aquatics

Leather is for Lovers Thread!

FlowerMama

The Aquarist

So I just tried to cut my cabbage leather. Didn't go well. I tried to cut it with a scalpel, but it didn't work. I ended up hacking away at it, and ripped off two dime sized pieces. It let off a ton of cloudy stuff, but no other coral seems affected that much. Anybody have tips on how to cut cabbage leathers? Maybe a scissor? I'm going to try this again in a week or so, will let the mother colony get a chance to heal.

Thanks.

StinkyBunny

Fiji has all the short polyped leathers you could ever want. About 6 months ago I got a long, thick polyped leather out of Indo and it drops daughter colonies like a damn Kenya tree coral.

• Like 1
jamescstein

Anyone else with an Sarcophyton elegans notice it send out feeder/sweeper tentacles. They are long and feathery. Very very fine.

I can't seem to get it to show up on a picture though.

• Like 1
jedimasterben

Anyone else with an Sarcophyton elegans notice it send out feeder/sweeper tentacles. They are long and feathery. Very very fine.

I can't seem to get it to show up on a picture though.

They aren't sweepers, they are a benthic animal called a Ctenophore. They are harmless, and really cool, I'm jelly that you have one :)
  • Like 3
jedimasterben

Yeah, toadstool. Worse shedding than leathers, will probably bring it back.

Uh, sarcophytons ARE leathers lol

You already have one, too :P

• Like 1
jedimasterben

Isn't it just a long polyp toadstool?

All sarcophytons have longer polyps, sinularias typically have polyps closer to the base, though I have one that has 1/3" polyps, about the same as my sarcophytons. That one of Harry's has good color contrast though, he should keep it :P

jamescstein

They aren't sweepers, they are a benthic animal called a Ctenophore. They are harmless, and really cool, I'm jelly that you have one :)

Ah yes.. that's it. Sort of neat when its feeding. Imagine the are only found on wild caught. Shame though I can't provide it enough light right now.

• Like 1

Yeah, toadstool. Worse shedding than leathers, will probably bring it back.

:blink: it is a leather....

25566715330_dbea8459d3_k.jpg

I just have one from Lawn.

I have one of these from Zia and I cannot seem to get the polyps as long as this. Do you have yours in high or low flow?

• Like 1