ReefCleaners.org

Leather is for Lovers Thread!

FlowerMama

Really nice Annette!

I thought so too. Last min decision 2 hrs before it was over, went to my friend's house to help her pack up her kitchen as she's moving to a townhouse tomorrow, I come home & see I won. So that was great.

So now I have:

Long polyp toadstool

Devil's Hand leather

Green sinularia

Branching gsp

3 nems

Next week I have those 2 leathers & then 2 small macros coming and I need to get the light up but I won't be home tomorrow to do it, then I can order the rock

StinkyBunny

They all came in as Lobophyton. That 3rd one is actually a short polyped green toadstool and it's a monster that's in the process of splitting.

• Like 1

I've had this toadstool a long time and it's dropped off plenty of clones.

How big was your toadstool before it started dropping? And it's probably not all toadstools that do this, right? I know Gena said her toadstool got to be the size of a plate but I never heard anything about babies dropping. Which kind of toadstools do this?

StinkyBunny

It's interesting how much that last one looks like it could be an sps.

They come in really good. The last batch that came in were doubles so I broke those down. They also come in a darker green, a gold and a grey that's really neat.

All toadstools will drop daughter colonies FlowerMama.

• Like 2
AdriftQuasar

How big was your toadstool before it started dropping? And it's probably not all toadstools that do this, right? I know Gena said her toadstool got to be the size of a plate but I never heard anything about babies dropping. Which kind of toadstools do this?

Maybe about the size of a white castle burger.

They come in really good. The last batch that came in were doubles so I broke those down. They also come in a darker green, a gold and a grey that's really neat.

All toadstools will drop daughter colonies FlowerMama.

So maybe mine will do that someday, it's like 6" across and 4" wide.

Maybe about the size of a white castle burger.

Not big then. Maybe mine will start.

StinkyBunny

I have a 2 long polyps out of Indo that drops daughters once a week at least. They seem to drop them in a moderate flow. I moved 1 over into more flow and it still does it, but no where near as much as the one in less flow.

• Like 2

Ok leather lovers, anyone know what this is? I got it at my local club's frag swap yesterday as an un-identified leather. I know this isn't the best picture, but I just have it laying in the back of my tank until I figure out where to place it. Its not completely puffed up, but hopefully enough that someone might know what it is. Thanks!

26083637215_ba7e26b221_k.jpgIMG_3356 by Felicia Svedlund, on Flickr
StinkyBunny

Felicia, that is a Sinularia flexibilis, probably from Indonesia. Very hardy and fast growing. One word of caution with it, whatever it touches for more than a week will be stuck to it.

• Like 1

Not sticky to you, but if it touches a piece of rock, it's attached after a week.

Weird.

Now did you get your name after owning a rabbit?

My tiny reef

Not sticky to you, but if it touches a piece of rock, it's attached after a week.

My cabbage leather was the same way, secured itself to the rock pretty quickly so be careful where you put things. Anyone know what happens if you force/pull a leather off the rock?

• Like 1

So what do you all like or not like about your Kenya Tree. Don't know if I like it enough to buy one later. I haven't decided my stance on it yet because by looks it's so-so, nothing thrilling. Unless someone can change my mind with some incredible pictures.

• Like 1

Felicia, that is a Sinularia flexibilis, probably from Indonesia. Very hardy and fast growing. One word of caution with it, whatever it touches for more than a week will be stuck to it.

Great to know! That's what I was starting to think it might be based on several people's suggestions.

My cabbage leather was the same way, secured itself to the rock pretty quickly so be carefule where you put things. Anyone know what happens if you force/pull a leather off the rock?

Aren't most leathers "sticky" in this way? This is why if you frag them, you can just rubber band them to a frag plug of place them on some rubble rock and they'll attach themselves in about a week. If you rip a leather off the rock it will be just fine! A lot of times, they leave flesh behind on the rock that can grow back into another colony over time. This new sinularia I just got isn't attached to any rock or plugs and was clearly just pulled off of the rocks before giving it to me. I just need to find a spot that I have get it wedged in place without the flow knocking it loose so that it will have time to attach.

• Like 2
StinkyBunny

Weird.

Now did you get your name after owning a rabbit?

Actually an old beat up Cabriolet. This summer we're gonna get the old girl back to driving trim. Here's a pic of Stinky.

legs362.jpg

My cabbage leather was the same way, secured itself to the rock pretty quickly so be careful where you put things. Anyone know what happens if you force/pull a leather off the rock?

Nothing if it's healthy. We have one leather that we call a Pecker leather because, well, it looks like a penis, lol. It's split 3 times now and back in the 80s I had one that I pulled to move it and made another little coral. Had no idea what I had done, but I unwittingly fragged a leather. What I do is use a pair of Rongeurs to clip the rock underneath it and move them that way, a little less stress is always a good thing.

• Like 3