Cultivated Reef

Leather is for Lovers Thread!

FlowerMama

jedimasterben

:blink: it is a leather....

I have one of these from Zia and I cannot seem to get the polyps as long as this. Do you have yours in high or low flow?

Is the flow to it more constant or intermittent?
  • Like 1
HarryPotter

All sarcophytons have longer polyps, sinularias typically have polyps closer to the base, though I have one that has 1/3" polyps, about the same as my sarcophytons. That one of Harry's has good color contrast though, he should keep it :P

*Suspiciously looks at the coral*

No its 100% vegan, I think polyester or something.

jedimasterben

OMG. Yes, it is.

pretty strong and pretty constant....

That's probably why - try giving it a more pulsing flow - not like a 'wave' mode from a power head, but more longer pulses like would see in the ocean, several seconds each direction. Some of mine that never extended much are longer now that I'm back to eductors only, with a spinny type flow in them, so the flow randomly changes where it is going. Difficult to explain and show, but it's pretty awesome. :)
  • Like 3

I have one of these from Zia and I cannot seem to get the polyps as long as this. Do you have yours in high or low flow?

I'd say it's pretty low flow, it's behind the output of the AC70 in the opposite corner.

That's probably why - try giving it a more pulsing flow. Some of mine that never extended much are longer now that I'm back to eductors only, with a spinny type flow in them, so the flow randomly changes where it is going. Difficult to explain and show, but it's pretty awesome. :)

Huh, I don't have any way of creating random flow in this tank currently. It could be even happier if I could?

• Like 1

That's probably why - try giving it a more pulsing flow. Some of mine that never extended much are longer now that I'm back to eductors only, with a spinny type flow in them, so the flow randomly changes where it is going. Difficult to explain and show, but it's pretty awesome. :)

I'd say it's pretty low flow, it's behind the output of the AC70 in the opposite corner.

My problem could also be that my clowns are rolling around in the thing all day :lol: Forgot about that part....

• Like 1
jedimasterben

Huh, I don't have any way of creating random flow in this tank currently. It could be even happier if I could?

What we typically think of as 'random', really turbulent, flow actually happens at the corals' surface. It's really more 'switching' flow as a better term for it. Your corals will really be fine without it - as long as they have adequate flow to respire, they'll be fine, but some specimens just prefer different flow patterns than we give them. Picky things :P

My problem could also be that my clowns are rolling around in the thing all day :lol: Forgot about that part....

Yeah, actually that is most likely the culprit lol
  • Like 3
StinkyBunny

I have a few of them on the way as I type this. I finally got the tank squared away last night so I can shoot some pics tonight. Fiji stuff comes in ready to go, best leathers I've ever seen.

• Like 2

I think this thread is definitely having an influence on us. I'm buying this, I'm buying that. I can't wait til I can start buying some.

• Like 1
StinkyBunny

Here's a potato picture, didn't get a chance to clean the glass after the mayhem of a shipment. Got some neat stuff yesterday. I'll post up some pics tonight after the lights come up.

bH1TuMb.jpg

• Like 3
jamescstein

I love that top pic, like it's glowing!

Silly things iphones do when you take pics with blue lights on. That was 100% white and 60% blue. It doesn't glow quite like that in person.

• Like 2

Phones can still make them look awesome.

So how much does everyone pay for their 2" frags for leathers at their lfs? What's typical in your area?

• Like 1

Phones can still make them look awesome.

So how much does everyone pay for their 2" frags for leathers at their lfs? What's typical in your area?

1-2 inch is around $10-15 and then around 50-75 for things that are fairly sizable - like a 6" tall x 5" wide toadstool or something

• Like 1
StinkyBunny

Are you guys kidding me on those 5" toadstool prices? Most of the toads in that pic I posted are all $40 , 2/$70. The exceptions being the 3 Aussie pieces in there, those are $60ea or 2/$100. They're all 4"+ in size.