Pod Your Reef

Reefer 350

HarryPotter

10 hours ago, jbb_00 said:

Too much work, easier to just click "like" 

I "liked" this

10 hours ago, jbb_00 said:

The build area has taken a hit , as well as the livestock sales. There used to be constant activity there with really good prices (some would even give stuff away) but nothing in there these days. 

Last summer I tried to give so much corals away for free... it's still taking up space in my tanks. But I won't ship, so there's that... 

9 hours ago, HarryPotter said:

I wonder if this could be helped by change(s) to the site; daily limits on reactions to posts? 

I'm pretty sure there are daily limits... at least, there used to be before the latest big update.

HarryPotter
3 minutes ago, jbb_00 said:

He liked the posts. :lol:

jk 

I want a negative reaction. Dislike or disagree. It aint fair we can just do positive reactions. Bullshit! 

Just now, kimberbee said:

I'm pretty sure there are daily limits... at least, there used to be before the latest big update.

No limit unless its above a few hundred per day. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
6 minutes ago, kimberbee said:

I "liked" this

You would :lol:

7 minutes ago, kimberbee said:

Last summer I tried to give so much corals away for free... it's still taking up space in my tanks. But I won't ship, so there's that... 

Ship them to Tejas , ill pay for it . 

• Haha 1

Sometimes low tech approach is the best application. 

You know your tank best. It's your investment, it's your pride. Your routine works for you. That's the key. 

fishfreak0114

Yesterday when I first saw the title of your thread and how many posts were happening I was like “oh my god it’s a tank crash”. And then I came here....

I agree that ‘like’ buttons make it easier not to post. I mean, I’m guilty of often hitting ‘like’ and moving on....

• Like 1
3 hours ago, HarryPotter said:

If you ever want to try, $100 will get you 5 SPS frags shipped to your door. Maybe three types of montipora and two acros?Mainly covers shipping, heat pack, insulated box, etc. You’ve been here a while!

Thanks. I need a bigger tank! I've actually committed to @teenyreef for some frags of his (honestly I don't even remember what at this point :D, I know a couple of Monti Caps, and something else that he fragged.) Not sure when he is going to be ready to ship, but I'm not in a hurry.

4 hours ago, Travis said:

See that join date over here.......  

<------------

I can tell you, the like button must have cut out 75% of comments in a build thread.

A like doesn't warrant a response, but if someone posts "Hey I like your tank" that would warrant a response, and possibly the  OP going over to the liker's build thread so that the OP could comment on the liker's tank.

Did that make sense? :lol:

Perfect sense.

3 hours ago, jbb_00 said:

:lol:

You did post a comment so maybe my rant worked ... once anyway 

:rant::rant::rant:(rant emoji)

3 hours ago, jbb_00 said:

Makes perfect sense. 

I see new people on the site but have no clue who they are or if they have a thread mostly because they don't socialize with anyone. They pop in , click like and leave . Then when I stumble across their thread I see " :huh: is anyone reading this?"  But 600 likes :lol: . Also their signature is blank. That used to be a badge of honor around here , the more elaborate the better, to help direct traffic. Look at @metrokat for example, her little icons are great and she put a ton of effort into them.  Needs to come back in my opinion. 

I wish I knew how to do a cool signature.

HarryPotter
Just now, DaveFason said:

I to have noticed a lower response rate in threads but more likes. Regardless I am lame. :P

-D

Agreed. If you want me to return your coolness-mojo, I’ll take one million billion dollars or a whole lotta LEDs

4 minutes ago, HarryPotter said:

Agreed. If you want me to return your coolness-mojo, I’ll take one million billion dollars or a whole lotta LEDs

You don't need his fancy LED's, remember?

mitten_reef
4 hours ago, jbb_00 said:

Makes perfect sense. 

I see new people on the site but have no clue who they are or if they have a thread mostly because they don't socialize with anyone. They pop in , click like and leave . Then when I stumble across their thread I see " :huh: is anyone reading this?"  But 600 likes :lol: . Also their signature is blank. That used to be a badge of honor around here , the more elaborate the better, to help direct traffic. Look at @metrokat for example, her little icons are great and she put a ton of effort into them.  Needs to come back in my opinion. 

@Christopher Marks took away the signature on mobile view as it gets cluttersome (a word?).....But I sense that more and more ppl are browsing thru mobile. Is there a way to reduce signature to just the link in mobile view, (without all the badges or banners?).

I think sig is a good way to allow ppl to click thru to see whether your comments/advices are worth listening to, if you know what I mean - showing where you are, where you've been with your reefkeeping experience.  For me, I'm now only looking at "advices" given out by TOTM ppl, because I KNOW what they've accomplished on NR, even if this happens mostly on those pop-in/pop-out question threads.  But also some ppl whose names I recognize as having been active on NR for quite some time.  I, personally, have only been browsing regularly here since 2014, so I think I could tell who's been here for a "long haul".  I've watched @HarryPotter grew from this HS kid who asked WAY too many questions about his JBJ 45, until he turned into this AcrosMaster.  So I enjoy looking at this thread, knowing the history for sure!

• Haha 1
HarryPotter
7 minutes ago, Pjanssen said:

You don't need his fancy LED's, remember?

But I drool over them ? 

All the blues would take coloration to another level! 

• Like 1
Christopher Marks
4 hours ago, HarryPotter said:

@Christopher Marks what are your thoughts on this in general? (Pg 117-118) Pretty sure you’ve been here the longest ?

Lots of good discussion, I'm certainly taking it to heart. Honestly I've been wondering if reactions are a bad thing as well, it's too easy to acknowledge having read something and then just move on without comment. I'm guilty of doing it with my limited time. I'm glad to see I'm not alone in that. The big question is, what should we do about it?

Some of these shifts may also coincide with the general move to smartphones for internet use, well over half of our site visits are on mobile screens now. While the site is nearly full featured on mobile screens, the interface has to be pared down, less information can be shown, signatures are hidden, for example. Is it more difficult to have an in depth discussion on a mobile device? How many of you browse on a desktop and type with a keyboard these days?

I've been working really hard to optimize the site in every way possible over the past year and make it easier for everyone to use and participate. Sharing content is easier than ever with our editor, content from virtually anywhere will auto-embed with a simple link (Instagram, Youtube, Vimeo, Facebook, Flickr, and image link). Photos can be uploaded directly to the site right from mobile phones and tablets. Signing up and logging in only takes a click with Facebook and Twitter login options.

@HarryPotter, you should upload your photos directly here and save yourself some steps. Have you hit your storage limit already? What if there was no limit anymore?

• Like 4
Christopher Marks

I should also say, I'm always open to feedback from everyone, if there's something bothering you or not working well. Don't only just @ tag me though, it's hard to keep up with notifications pulling me in all directions all the time :) 

Honestly, I don't think "like" is a bad thing. Often times I read a post and how I might comment to it has already been said, probably multiple times. I guess I could just respond "ditto" or something corny like that, but...

• Like 3
HarryPotter
16 minutes ago, micoastreefing said:

@Christopher Marks took away the signature on mobile view as it gets cluttersome (a word?).....But I sense that more and more ppl are browsing thru mobile. Is there a way to reduce signature to just the link in mobile view, (without all the badges or banners?).

I think sig is a good way to allow ppl to click thru to see whether your comments/advices are worth listening to, if you know what I mean - showing where you are, where you've been with your reefkeeping experience.  For me, I'm now only looking at "advices" given out by TOTM ppl, because I KNOW what they've accomplished on NR, even if this happens mostly on those pop-in/pop-out question threads.  But also some ppl whose names I recognize as having been active on NR for quite some time.  I, personally, have only been browsing regularly here since 2014, so I think I could tell who's been here for a "long haul".  I've watched @HarryPotter grew from this HS kid who asked WAY too many questions about his JBJ 45, until he turned into this AcrosMaster.  So I enjoy looking at this thread, knowing the history for sure!

Oi, I didn't ask too many questions! :blush:

• Haha 1
3 minutes ago, Christopher Marks said:

I should also say, I'm always open to feedback from everyone, if there's something bothering you or not working well. Don't only just @ tag me though, it's hard to keep up with notifications pulling me in all directions all the time :) 

But we "like" @tagging you!:P

• Haha 1
HarryPotter
15 minutes ago, Christopher Marks said:

Lots of good discussion, I'm certainly taking it to heart. Honestly I've been wondering if reactions are a bad thing as well, it's too easy to acknowledge having read something and then just move on without comment. I'm guilty of doing it with my limited time. I'm glad to see I'm not alone in that. The big question is, what should we do about it?

Some of these shifts may also coincide with the general move to smartphones for internet use, well over half of our site visits are on mobile screens now. While the site is nearly full featured on mobile screens, the interface has to be pared down, less information can be shown, signatures are hidden, for example. Is it more difficult to have an in depth discussion on a mobile device? How many of you browse on a desktop and type with a keyboard these days?

I've been working really hard to optimize the site in every way possible over the past year and make it easier for everyone to use and participate. Sharing content is easier than ever with our editor, content from virtually anywhere will auto-embed with a simple link (Instagram, Youtube, Vimeo, Facebook, Flickr, and image link). Photos can be uploaded directly to the site right from mobile phones and tablets. Signing up and logging in only takes a click with Facebook and Twitter login options.

@HarryPotter, you should upload your photos directly here and save yourself some steps. Have you hit your storage limit already? What if there was no limit anymore?

I didn't know I could upload full quality photos here and have them display- I will do that in the future! 

Im not sure what to do about the "Like n. swipe" either. I am about 50/50 on mobile vs. laptop. On mobile, without signatures, i am pretty much limited to the 'top posts' when refreshing the page. otherwise it is too complicated to navigate to a profile, look for their topic history, and try to find a main thread.

Perhaps a "Build thread' link right on the mobile profile view? 

6 minutes ago, Pjanssen said:

But we "like" @tagging you!:P

Agreed 

5 minutes ago, Pjanssen said:

Okay, time to visit my 29, I need some feedback 

Im surfing nanoreef in class.... so sure be there in a sec :lol:

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, HarryPotter said:

I didn't know I could upload full quality photos here and have them display- I will do that in the future! 

Im not sure what to do about the "Like n. swipe" either. I am about 50/50 on mobile vs. laptop. On mobile, without signatures, i am pretty much limited to the 'top posts' when refreshing the page. otherwise it is too complicated to navigate to a profile, look for their topic history, and try to find a main thread.

Agreed 

Im surfing nanoreef in class.... so sure be there in a sec :lol:

Wait, you're in class? Shouldn't you be doing class stuff then? We are enablers here :o

Christopher Marks
1 minute ago, HarryPotter said:

Hmm yeah, that would be nice. ?

I can get signatures to display on mobile, but I don't think I'd want to do it without new restrictions, like text links only. Otherwise there's too much visual noise that repeats, and also extends page scrolling by a big factor. Some signatures have youtube videos embedded in them!

One effort I'd like to tackle is a 'Help' section for the site to show how to use some of the more advanced features. Things like sharing photos, customizing profile pages, using the activity stream, creating your own activity stream, adding photos to the gallery, submitting an article to the library, etc. 

Maybe there's something we can do to reach out to our lurkers out there too, to say hi ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • HarryPotter changed the title to Reefer 350