ReefCleaners.org

Reefer 350

HarryPotter

HarryPotter
1 hour ago, xiaoxiy said:

Maybe it's time to break out the chisel Harry! That's what they do to harvest pieces in the ocean for mariculturing.

Lol just not my good chisels... I cringe at the thought of hitting rock after all the time I put into sharpening them ? Mirror shiny 

HarryPotter

I want a piece of this. Idc if it’s expensive or tiny frag... if it’s has both polyp colors I want it. Period. 

(Reefers Direct) 

Q3XSyGr.jpg

• Like 4
HarryPotter

Finished up the bracket design to attach the Trulumen Pro Actinic LED bar to my ATI. The hinge mechanism will have a thumbscrew to lock it in place. The ATI-Side bracket is already made and I confirmed that the holder firmly holds the bar, but I have not tested the fit of the two pieces. I don't really know how much "space" the parts need in between each-other: small enough that I can lock the mechanism using a thumbscrew, but large enough to allow rotation. I will start with .5mm per side and see how the print fits. 

1QaEQxl.png

• Like 4
2 hours ago, HarryPotter said:

@Pjanssen if the frags have both colors (I don’t want just red, or just green) I might try and get it from there! I do prefer the streaking of the one I posted compared to the “area” of green, but both are gorgeous

Be sure to let us know if you get one. I've had my eye on it and even had it in my cart a few times but always afraid to pull the trigger.

HarryPotter
13 minutes ago, Pjanssen said:

Be sure to let us know if you get one. I've had my eye on it and even had it in my cart a few times but always afraid to pull the trigger.

I sent a message to Reefers Direct to see if they will be at RAP, to hold a Frag until then. 

• Like 1
HarryPotter
25 minutes ago, Pjanssen said:

I ordered a frag of the one I posted a photo of, to be picked up at RAP next month! The one from cultivated reef may even be the same graft; it’s just I would rather pick up locally. I can see it, take out shipping stress, and don’t need to pay shipping. 

• Like 3
HarryPotter
30 minutes ago, Pjanssen said:

That's awesome. I'm pretty sure we are going up to RAP. April something, right? I should probably book a room

Yep!! It’s a 3.5 hour drive for me :) just going Sunday 

HarryPotter

Peaceful morning FTS w salty glass :) 

Since starting the 1ml daily vodka and feeding 1 cube+ mysis daily, I no longer have any diatoms or cyanos in stagnant areas! Pulling out about a half cup of gorgeous dark skimmate daily too. Still don’t have any nitrates or phosphates to speak of, @markalot perhaps I could stop skimming instead of dosing nitrates? I read somewhere that vodka dosing requires skimming, but can’t find the page again. 

I ordered a special custom-ish frag rack on the 13th, should be arriving today. It’ll need some modifications but finally I will overcome frags being blown off the racks! Holds 48, from Building An Obsession. The price was super fair, and they respond within a minute through Facebook. My only concern was that I never received tracking information, but when I messaged them they apologized that it was not added to my Paypal- because I ordered through FB rather then their site- and the gave it to me! I’ll post a photo when it comes. 

n3bsRZw.jpg

• Like 2
HarryPotter

Looks like USPS is having issues. The frag rack was supposed to arrive yesterday. I checked the tracking and the last three reports all have the same time stamp- so I doubt it’s been scanned in the last few days. I let BAO know that there may be a shipping issue, but it’s too early to know whether it’s just a simple delay. 

hk1Quz5.png

HarryPotter

It fits!!! Will look soooo cool tonight. Kind of proud since I designed it from scratch, just using a pair of calipers. 

zYGE2oJ.jpg

Anyone know what type of coral this is? Its tricky....

GKKFJrI.png

• Like 5
HarryPotter
8 hours ago, markalot said:

Maybe porites?

Nope! Acropora! I broke off some of what was encrusting up the glass ?

l4EDRM6.jpg

A local reefer came over yesterday to pick up a few frags, and brought this- WWC. I’m not usually a LPS person but the orange is really intense!

b9TUUVa.jpg

• Like 4

Cmon Harry. You can't post a closed up base of an acropora without any branches and expect anyone to guess it's iD!

Also is that a WWC Pavona?

1 hour ago, HarryPotter said:

Nope! Acropora! I broke off some of what was encrusting up the glass ?

xpShwIa.jpg

A local reefer came over yesterday to pick up a few frags, and brought this- WWC. I’m not usually a LPS person but the orange is really intense!

b9TUUVa.jpg

That is one cool acro, I would have never guessed.   

Those Leptoseris corals are super sensitive to bright light, I have on in my 40 that instantly bleaches if it gets too bright.  I'm letting some Xenia weed shade it while the tank adjusts to my new light but it still lightened on top a bit, at the very edge of the tank.  Sheesh.  I'm sure they can be acclimated for more but honestly I've never had a coral react so fast.

HarryPotter
23 minutes ago, xiaoxiy said:

Cmon Harry. You can't post a closed up base of an acropora without any branches and expect anyone to guess it's iD!

Also is that a WWC Pavona?

I know that, I thought it was funny to have a totally flat acropora. It absolutely looks like an encrusting montipora or porites! 

The reefer said it’s a  “WWC BBQ Chip Lepto”, WWC accidentally doubled her order!

10 minutes ago, markalot said:

That is one cool acro, I would have never guessed.   

Those Leptoseris corals are super sensitive to bright light, I have on in my 40 that instantly bleaches if it gets too bright.  I'm letting some Xenia weed shade it while the tank adjusts to my new light but it still lightened on top a bit, at the very edge of the tank.  Sheesh.  I'm sure they can be acclimated for more but honestly I've never had a coral react so fast.

So strange how it has grown. I was thinking of using a razor to scratch up the encrusted areas and see if that will cause it to branch, but perhaps it just needs another year. 

Good to know on the lepto! I have it on my “LPS” frag rack, which is like 6 inches above the sand bed. I’ll move it down or even shade it when I get home. 

HarryPotter

Well maintained sandbed; after blasting everything with a strong powerhead, the tank still is reasonably clear :) 

Still zeros on parameters though, so I may need to up it to a cube and a half daily. Or go Markalots route and dose nitrates! 

ILiMfmZ.jpg

• Like 3
pappadumplingz

Tank's looking great mate. Lovely lepto you got, really want one and frags are becoming more common around here which is great. Always have wanted to try and graft a monti as well. Don't  think we tend to get true monti grafts here,  but when it comes to lps, they are quite common, saw a naturally grafted favia or favities on FB this morning.

• Like 1

Harry, you might not be able to get nutrients up via feedings. You might have to try nitrate dosing...

I'm still testing at 0's across the board and my feeding regimen stupidly insane. 1 week ago, I even added a phytoplankton doser in an attempt to increase nutrients in the tank: still reading at 0. 

HarryPotter
On 3/6/2018 at 4:41 PM, pappadumplingz said:

Tank's looking great mate. Lovely lepto you got, really want one and frags are becoming more common around here which is great. Always have wanted to try and graft a monti as well. Don't  think we tend to get true monti grafts here,  but when it comes to lps, they are quite common, saw a naturally grafted favia or favities on FB this morning.

Thanks pappa! Glad to hear the market is spreading. Thats what the hobby should do for sure, someone gets something new in and then it spreads from there. 

Grafting in hard corals is more of a random occurrence than a manual process I believe; happens very rarely and seemingly randomly when two montipora are in the same tank. Im not sure how you would approach "trying" it. Unless you mean putting two frags on the same plug and having them grow together; that is cool for sure but I am not sure that would be called a graft- to me, it means when the color is induced elsewhere in the coral 

2 hours ago, xiaoxiy said:

Harry, you might not be able to get nutrients up via feedings. You might have to try nitrate dosing...

I'm still testing at 0's across the board and my feeding regimen stupidly insane. 1 week ago, I even added a phytoplankton doser in an attempt to increase nutrients in the tank: still reading at 0. 

Yep, definitely interested in dosing nitrates. Just need to bite the bullet and order some :)

2 minutes ago, HarryPotter said:

Thanks pappa! Glad to hear the market is spreading. Thats what the hobby should do for sure, someone gets something new in and then it spreads from there. 

Grafting in hard corals is more of a random occurrence than a manual process I believe; happens very rarely and seemingly randomly when two montipora are in the same tank. Im not sure how you would approach "trying" it. Unless you mean putting two frags on the same plug and having them grow together; that is cool for sure but I am not sure that would be called a graft- to me, it means when the color is induced elsewhere in the coral 

Yep, definitely interested in dosing nitrates. Just need to bite the bullet and order some :)

Rarely but it does happen.... coral especially montipora can grow into eachother, fuse together, and later down the line actually have spots of the others color randomly start growing.  

HarryPotter
1 minute ago, patback said:

Rarely but it does happen.... coral especially montipora can grow into eachother, fuse together, and later down the line actually have spots of the others color randomly start growing.  

Wasn't saying it doesnt happen, I have a piece (Albeit super ugly, my fault) of WWC grafted cap and am getting a piece of a crazy one (pictured at the top of this page) at reefapallozza. I meant that I have not read anywhere about someone inducing a true graft. Ive seen two types of montipora glued together on a plug, but no pigment sharing. 

• HarryPotter changed the title to Reefer 350