Top Shelf Aquatics

Reefer 350

HarryPotter

Just now, tanacharison said:

Caulerpa taxifolia is exactly what I have. Although to your point I wouldn’t change a thing!

I still get diatoms or cyano in areas with bad flow and am always looking to improve! 

4 hours ago, HarryPotter said:

I still get diatoms or cyano in areas with bad flow and am always looking to improve! 

This exactly describes my 40g :P

• Like 1
37 minutes ago, Kijho said:

Harry!!  Long time no talk man, I'm so happy to see your tanking looking so well!! 

You’re back! Thanks, I’m always surprised how well it’s done when I find an old photo :) 

My uncles tank is looking amazing. I set it up two years ago and do bi-monthly maintenance with 40% water change. It’s  a dead simple system: mechanical filtration, a heater, light, and a skimmer. All he does in between my maintenance is feed, top off, and empty the skimmer. Pretty dope. Only three bulbs in the 8 bulb fixture for the softies. Those big colonies (pipe organ, leather, etc) are ones I have kicked out of this Reefer.

The rock layout is for maximum coral area while leaving room for tangs- about four in there (hiding after I came over with some aptasiaX)

#ThinkingAboutThe300 

fK3CbMW.jpg

• Like 9
On 2/5/2018 at 7:18 AM, HarryPotter said:

Super clean this morning and the sand is surprisingly even. Spot my dog in the reflection? 

niJWXJj.jpg

at least there's no toes in the reflection!

• Like 1
On ‎2‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 5:49 PM, HarryPotter said:

My uncles tank is looking amazing. I set it up two years ago and do bi-monthly maintenance with 40% water change. It’s  a dead simple system: mechanical filtration, a heater, light, and a skimmer. All he does in between my maintenance is feed, top off, and empty the skimmer. Pretty dope. Only three bulbs in the 8 bulb fixture for the softies. Those big colonies (pipe organ, leather, etc) are ones I have kicked out of this Reefer.

The rock layout is for maximum coral area while leaving room for tangs- about four in there (hiding after I came over with some aptasiaX)

#ThinkingAboutThe300 

fK3CbMW.jpg

What a great setup, great job man!

What kind of rock is that, this looks very very nice!

16 minutes ago, West1 said:

What a great setup, great job man!

What kind of rock is that, this looks very very nice!

Im not sure, that rock came with a used tank purchase. I bleached it before using of course. Sorry!

So do you all like the morning photos or prefer the more vibrant photos I used to post? I realize I may be neglecting all of you, as I get to see the tank with the lights on ?

TBT to 2016, corals look tiny!

uvNUo8k.jpg

On 6/3/2016 at 6:57 PM, HarryPotter said:

IMG_0218_zpsh1v9mz19.jpg

IMG_0215_zpsue9xab12.jpg

IMG_0217_zpsgaa1lbm3.jpg

IMG_0232_zpsozdoruxq.jpg

IMG_0241_zpsw16c9nwi.jpg

IMG_0242_zpsula8otme.jpg

IMG_0243_zpsgbhg4hqc.jpg

IMG_0246_zpsnjpzu9fz.jpg

IMG_0247_zpspszvrjep.jpg

IMG_0252_zpsd9exbwnn.jpg

IMG_0251_zpsimlnjox6.jpg

IMG_0250_zpshuurvv0x.jpg

IMG_0268_zpsfzqvamky.jpg

IMG_0267_zpswih46rif.jpg

IMG_0255_zpsvchzlcjd.jpg

IMG_0263_zpsfluf3zkt.jpg

IMG_0262_zpsqjdljnmr.jpg

IMG_0270_zpsbfp8yznh.jpg

IMG_0269_zpsvkm0zg1b.jpg

IMG_0256_zpsz82ijgdk.jpg

IMG_0271_zpsk4enygpc.jpg

• Like 9
1 minute ago, Pjanssen said:

It's all good!

Yeah? I realize that I’ve gotten lazy, taking a few photos with my phone when the lights are off vs taking them with my real camera and white balancing the blues out ?

still good just to see your beautiful tank and corals. I doubt that I will ever have anything like that, I'm just not that dedicated, so I enjoy looking at tanks like yours and @teenyreefs. Keep the photos coming, maybe one day I'll be overwhelmed with inspiration and go for more with my tanks!

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, Pjanssen said:

still good just to see your beautiful tank and corals. I doubt that I will ever have anything like that, I'm just not that dedicated, so I enjoy looking at tanks like yours and @teenyreefs. Keep the photos coming, maybe one day I'll be overwhelmed with inspiration and go for more with my tanks!

Teenyreef is such total inspiration. I actually have his FTS saved as a “favorite” on imgur and my phone so I can show anyone that says you cant have a 10g reef!

Yeah, it’s dedication for sure. An hour a week, and probably $30-$45 a month on average to keep everything in good order, from things breaking to food/supplements. 

• Like 4
15 hours ago, HarryPotter said:

Teenyreef is such total inspiration. I actually have his FTS saved as a “favorite” on imgur and my phone so I can show anyone that says you cant have a 10g reef!

Yeah, it’s dedication for sure. An hour a week, and probably $30-$45 a month on average to keep everything in good order, from things breaking to food/supplements. 

:blush: 

Thanks, Harry! Your tank is always an inspiration for me too!

• Like 3
On 2/15/2018 at 7:52 AM, HarryPotter said:

Yeah? I realize that I’ve gotten lazy, taking a few photos with my phone when the lights are off vs taking them with my real camera and white balancing the blues out ?

Dude, just keep posting whatever pics, they all look good.  The growth and health of your tank is right up there with the best of NR's.  I'm just happy to tag along and daydream about a bigger tank one day.

whatever happened to that phoenix monti that you just carried over?

• Like 1

Another water change! I know, two in a month?!?! ?

Im trying to take my corals to the next level of coloration, but I have a suspicion that my lighting could be a limiting factor. Not enough actinic; 3 coral plus, two blue plus, and a purple plus. 

I really can’t swing for Reefbrite or nanobox supplements, what do you think @markalot. Change my bulb combination?

RzkLQFw.jpg

• Like 2
22 hours ago, micoastreefing said:

whatever happened to that phoenix monti that you just carried over?

Found it last week buried in the sand behind my center rock sculpture. Looks like death, brown/white. Could come back given it’s not covered in algae, so I put it on a low rack. Ordered a new style of locking Frag rack...

• Like 1

OH HOT DAMN- BIG NEWS! 

On this very page I said, referring to my uncles tank, "Only three bulbs in the 8 bulb fixture for these softies." 

Then, I was musing on how I think my light fixture is a limiting factor on coral color. 

I just texted him. We are swapping ATI sunpowers. So I will get an 8 bulb fixture and be able to add two actinic bulbs!!! 

How fantastic is that. Free upgrade for me, zero difference for him. Both fixtures are under a year old! 

• Like 8
  • Wow 2
8 hours ago, Christopher Marks said:

Score! How perfect!

8 hours ago, jbb_00 said:

tenor.gif.8a75b96691c2c56192bbdd1052acc2ca.gif

8 hours ago, teenyreef said:

Nice! Way to think out of the box :D

Swapping the fixtures tomorrow. This is kind of a big deal! :o 

• Like 4
  • HarryPotter changed the title to Reefer 350