SaltCritters.com

Reefer 350

HarryPotter

7 minutes ago, HarryPotter said:

It was late. I’ve given away a lot of corals recently, so I decided to check salinity. Was at 1.024 so I figured a few cups in the sump would bring it back up xD 

pH in display spiked from 8.2 to 8.45 and it totally clouded up! Looks fine now, won’t do that again ?

Lmao. You need to stop working on your tank @ late night. Last time you almost hooked up vinegar to your dosers >.>

14 hours ago, HarryPotter said:

RFA getting some mysis

SCRDSQw.gif

Pretty active.  It is awesome  to see capture mechanism:s working.  How do they transfer mysis from capture tentacle into mouth and back out so fast?

On 1/24/2018 at 12:27 PM, Subsea said:

Pretty active.  It is awesome  to see capture mechanism:s working.  How do they transfer mysis from capture tentacle into mouth and back out so fast?

Thats actually a small time lapse, a minute compressed down to 10 seconds or so. 6x speed. 

I mixed up the sand bed with a powerhead and will skip feeding today. Not too dirty though!

@Sancho the filter media cup is great, I use Intank filter floss in it. So easy to trash the old stuff and put another piece in! Definitely considering another. 

bibYJRt.jpg

• Like 2
On 1/20/2018 at 9:19 AM, xiaoxiy said:

I think that would look insane. Also, couldn't you just shift the RF anemone rock forward a bit and be able to do your acropora rock alongside your RFAs?

This is what I came up with- version 1. Just super glue, accelerator, and small amounts of epoxy where needed. 

cmQRg2U.jpg

• Like 5
On 1/20/2018 at 9:19 AM, xiaoxiy said:

I think that would look insane. Also, couldn't you just shift the RF anemone rock forward a bit and be able to do your acropora rock alongside your RFAs?

For my first attempt, I shifted the anemone rock backward and put the new rock in front of it. I don’t love the placement; the anemones are invisible. Perhaps I could move them to the other side of the tank, or even slide both my large islands around and have this new structure on the right side. 

Still thinking it out,  but here’s what I have for tonight. Nothing on it yet, but it would have a bunch of LPS on the lowest 5” and then acro colonies and frags higher up on the branch-ier parts

bl5RZ3d.jpg

• Like 5
11 hours ago, HarryPotter said:

For my first attempt, I shifted the anemone rock backward and put the new rock in front of it. I don’t love the placement; the anemones are invisible. Perhaps I could move them to the other side of the tank, or even slide both my large islands around and have this new structure on the right side. 

Still thinking it out,  but here’s what I have for tonight. Nothing on it yet, but it would have a bunch of LPS on the lowest 5” and then acro colonies and frags higher up on the branch-ier parts

bl5RZ3d.jpg

I love it. How big is the anemone rock? Could you put it right under your montipora caps on the far right side?

9 hours ago, pappadumplingz said:

The new part of the scape looks really good! Are you gonna buy new frags or use clippings of your own stuff?

I have like 3 colonies bigger than 5” on the frag racks that I am dying to mount! Not planning on buying frags unless there is a great deal on something unique. I really like what I have. I’m going for acro forests ?

2 hours ago, xiaoxiy said:

I love it. How big is the anemone rock? Could you put it right under your montipora caps on the far right side?

Thats a thought!! I think 10” by 10”. Will try that and post a photo! 

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, HarryPotter said:

Not liking it too much... @xiaoxiy still think i should try the rock on the other side? 

rsH06Y7.jpg

I honestly think you should chisel underneath your RFAs to get them off the rock & toss the rock. Then attach the RFAs to a smaller rock or something.

14 minutes ago, xiaoxiy said:

I honestly think you should chisel underneath your RFAs to get them off the rock & toss the rock. Then attach the RFAs to a smaller rock or something.

Chisel off all 14 of them? If I did that, I could attach them to the base of this new rock structure. They don’t climb much under all this par.  That could solve the space issue... ? 

Difficult to do though, I would probably lose 2 or 3. But my favorites are the larger more colorful ones that could probably be removed. 

Or I could go back to this, hiding the anemone rock? It would be nice to have some scape more close to the front panel of glass. 

bl5RZ3d.jpg

• Like 1

Grabbed my good camera!

MYNersd.jpg

Slightly over saturated, but its becoming true yellow. Looks just like the mother colony! I wonder if I could trade the colony for a Vortech :)

hV583Xd.jpg

Less saturated photo:

3GjSxkw.jpg

Some orange going on here

SgkVvFM.jpg

Very dark red planet is finally throwing branches again 

r4NZSAP.jpg

• Like 4
  • Wow 2
6 minutes ago, DaveFason said:

Looks really good hairy. You are doing a great job! 

Trade her in! You will need more flow in a few months. 

-Dave

Or sell it to save up for some pucks :wub::wub:  I am permanently jealous of Markalot!! 

Flow is still pretty good with two PP4s and the MP40, but if I had another I could run them in a cool counterflow mode. 

Thanks, really happy with how everything looks atm

18 hours ago, HarryPotter said:

Not liking it too much... @xiaoxiy still think i should try the rock on the other side? 

rsH06Y7.jpg

Tank has been looking awesome. I like the new rock in the back, just looks more open for a frontal view of the tank. 

• Like 2
17 minutes ago, xiaoxiy said:

Do you run your MP40 in constant mode? Also that colony is BALLER.

Thanks ?

Never constant. My thought is that being pushed in one direction cannot be good for any type of coral, everything in the tank has to sway back and forth. That is definitely part of achieving even growth in hard corals instead of uni-directional IMO. I will take a video of some of the flow patterns later, the millipora depicts it very well. 

Right now the MP40 is doing some funky mode that ranges from 40 to 70%. I don’t recall what color, but I tend to push the wrong button when feeding and change the mode anyway. 

Edit:

the PP4’s in the back are at constant maximum mode, but their purpose is just to eliminate dead spots. Or else there are cyano patches on the sand bed next to the overflow. 

I tested my parameters yesterday using the fancy Nyos kits Marine Depot accidentally sent me. 0.00 phosphate, 0.00 nitrate. Also, 1.025 salinity, and 1420 magnesium. I may have broken my hand Alk checker after tipping it over with liquid inside- I lost the caps to those vials a long time ago. Took the battery out and hoping it dries up.

22 hours ago, xiaoxiy said:

Lagoon mode? (yellow)

Pink currently! 

paiPgUK.jpg

Looks like I put the Katropora too close to an Acan ?. Not too upset, I have another larger frag that is doing better than this one. The Katropora is one of the few acros that never has PE in my tank!

tjQmwoE.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Yearly sump cleaning, aka “PleaseDontCrash” day ??

I razor out the sump and pump all the nasty detritus into the filter sock. Skimmer is throwing a fit and corals are sliming like crazy! It’s not too dirty, you can see through the display :) 

cxjgkGS.jpg

• Like 4

Looking good. My vote goes for removing the anemones and putting them onto the base of the new rock. I definitely like the new structure in the back, but the anemone rock looks like an afterthought. 

• Like 1
  • HarryPotter changed the title to Reefer 350