Top Shelf Aquatics

Reefer 350

HarryPotter

Lazily reposting this photo to the new page because its sweet 

ccWsdhI.jpg

I went a little chop chop on any branch that was dying from warfare. Pretty much have a frag from almost every acro in the tank :o From millipora to the yellow efflo to some encrusting montipora. I need more frag racks! 

WFZRO3r.jpg

• Like 3
  • Wow 2

I wonder if I can put my Maxima directly onto an ugly montipora. I did this during a water change and it looks kind of cool. It definitely needs more light than it is gets on the sand bed. 

WQLfe8G.jpg

• Like 4
43 minutes ago, xiaoxiy said:

Jesus Harry. How often are you fragging your acros? Pretty soon you're gonna have like 20 more mini colonies from those frags at this rate...

They grow really really fast man! I finally have the true forest of acropora that I have always wanted. Because it’s all different types, the branches run into each other and the tips die, so I snip that inch or so and put it on a plug. You’re right, I need more Frag racks ???

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, HarryPotter said:

They grow really really fast man! I finally have the true forest of acropora that I have always wanted. Because it’s all different types, the branches run into each other and the tips die, so I snip that inch or so and put it on a plug. You’re right, I need more Frag racks ???

Sounds like a problem I would love to have lmao. My acroporas have finally settled in and are steadily growing; hopefully in the coming year I will get growth similar to yours!

Just now, xiaoxiy said:

Sounds like a problem I would love to have lmao. My acroporas have finally settled in and are steadily growing; hopefully in the coming year I will get growth similar to yours!

Best of luck!! I am considering getting rid of my rock flower anemone rock (has about 15 of them) and making a whole new structure dedicated to acropora on the left side of my tank, that would connect to the center island. 

I need to get the large colonies onto rock ASAP, some are larger than my palm. 

Something like this? 

RhGV92I.jpg

• Like 1
1 minute ago, HarryPotter said:

Best of luck!! I am considering getting rid of my rock flower anemone rock (has about 15 of them) and making a whole new structure dedicated to acropora on the left side of my tank, that would connect to the center island. 

I need to get the large colonies onto rock ASAP, some are larger than my palm. 

Something like this? 

RhGV92I.jpg

I think that would look insane. Also, couldn't you just shift the RF anemone rock forward a bit and be able to do your acropora rock alongside your RFAs?

11 minutes ago, xiaoxiy said:

I think that would look insane. Also, couldn't you just shift the RF anemone rock forward a bit and be able to do your acropora rock alongside your RFAs?

Thats a good idea... I could also theoretically use the anemone rock as the base for the acropora bridge. The anemones tend to stay near the sand bed, I doubt they would climb up. 

I actually really like that idea, keeping the anemone rock as the base and making a slim but strong (rod/epoxy) bridge to the center area! 

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, HarryPotter said:

Thats a good idea... I could also theoretically use the anemone rock as the base for the acropora bridge. The anemones tend to stay near the sand bed, I doubt they would climb up. 

I actually really like that idea, keeping the anemone rock as the base and making a slim but strong (rod/epoxy) bridge to the center area! 

Yeah! But scrub that algae off of the anemone rock or it might spread all the way up your new clean RC rock! :P

1 minute ago, xiaoxiy said:

Yeah! But scrub that algae off of the anemone rock or it might spread all the way up your new clean RC rock! :P

Oh shit true :( that rock sucks! 

Ill do the first idea, without connecting to the anemone rock. Just got this in the mail minutes ago so the bridge is a go! 

ZsNp1kl.jpg

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, HarryPotter said:

Oh shit true :( that rock sucks! 

Ill do the first idea, without connecting to the anemone rock. Just got this in the mail minutes ago so the bridge is a go! 

ZsNp1kl.jpg

Good ol epoxy and super glue...

pappadumplingz

Tank is looking great as always mate. On the clam topic, I have seen clams wedged into large corals and man made bricks on the barrier reef, and I have seen a pic of a really large piece of monti hosting 3 clams, so it's definitely do able. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, pappadumplingz said:

Tank is looking great as always mate. On the clam topic, I have seen clams wedged into large corals and man made bricks on the barrier reef, and I have seen a pic of a really large piece of monti hosting 3 clams, so it's definitely do able. 

Thanks! The clam looks very happy today, opened more than usual. I think it is enjoying the extra light compared to being on the sandbed. 

2 hours ago, xiaoxiy said:

Holy jesus galore.

Yeah, I don't know what happened. First he came for some freebie torches, then came like 5 acros, couple types of montipora, 6 or 7 heads of frogspawn, etc :lol:

• Like 2
9 hours ago, HarryPotter said:

@Admonition just got ridiculously hooked up.  ? Acros, Montipora, and LPS galore!

Was nice meeting you!

"Ridiculously hooked up" is a wicked understatement lmao. It was great meeting you too!

This tank is even better in person and it was pretty cool to see the setup first hand. I'm definitely jealous of that water change / frag station! I need to convince the wife to give me a room for that lol. Maybe first I get her on board for a bigger tank for when all these start to grow ;)

Thank you again!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, Admonition said:

"Ridiculously hooked up" is a wicked understatement lmao. It was great meeting you too!

This tank is even better in person and it was pretty cool to see the setup first hand. I'm definitely jealous of that water change / frag station! I need to convince the wife to give me a room for that lol. Maybe first I get her on board for a bigger tank for when all these start to grow ;)

Thank you again!

You need to post a full tank shot! ? And enjoy that frag holder, its really nice to keep things protected from falling over in the sand. 

On 1/17/2018 at 2:00 PM, HarryPotter said:

Here is something fun! A time lapse of me doing a water change, and some iPhone photos of gorgeous acros! 

0FL696j.jpg

tCMiZmE.jpg

pbOPzU3.jpgBJUD4Mv.jpgccWsdhI.jpg

You are tall! I would need a step stool :lol: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
8 hours ago, HarryPotter said:

You need to post a full tank shot! ? And enjoy that frag holder, its really nice to keep things protected from falling over in the sand. 

Yeah I plan to later today lol. And yeah absolutely, it was definitely needed. 

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Sancho said:

You are tall! I would need a step stool :lol: 

Haha thanks, I’m 6’2. It would be cool if the stand was taller so I wouldn’t need to squat while taking photos ?

8 hours ago, HarryPotter said:

I learned don’t add salt to return pump chamber. Spent half an hour using a powerhead to get salt off corals ?

Wtf were you thinking? :huh:

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, xiaoxiy said:

Wtf were you thinking? :huh:

It was late. I’ve given away a lot of corals recently, so I decided to check salinity. Was at 1.024 so I figured a few cups in the sump would bring it back up xD 

pH in display spiked from 8.2 to 8.45 and it totally clouded up! Looks fine now, won’t do that again ?

• HarryPotter changed the title to Reefer 350