ReefCleaners.org

pgrVII

teenyreef

Hm.. When you do another water change suck it up, scrub it and do some peroxide. See what happens.

I am pretty sure I read somewhere of how to test if it is dinos v cyano. You suck it out, put it in a bottle and shake it up. Then if the algae goes back together fast after shaking t it is dinos, and if it takes a long time for the algae to go back together it is cyano. Something like that... Ill look it up

Here

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2531708

Thanks for posting this! I've been fighting a few dinos in my 4g and my frag tank, and I had forgotten all about that trick to tell if they're dinos.

Pgr, don't give up yet! My 4g tank went through a similar phase about five or six months in with lots of weird algae with lots of bubbles in it. I just rode it out and they went away after about two weeks. There are a lot of different kinds of dinos and sometimes people report they just go away on their own, or after a three or four day lights out period.

• Like 3
Elizabeth94

You're welcome. I thought it was pretty simple. However, I did forget that you should filter the shaken algae through paper towels before you wait to see how long it takes for it to conjoin together, if it does.

Thanks for posting this! I've been fighting a few dinos in my 4g and my frag tank, and I had forgotten all about that trick to tell if they're dinos.

• Like 2

I took about six weeks to get rid of dinos but they went in the end and haven't come back. I was cleaning rocks and sand every day with a reduced light regime. Eventually I was able to just baste the rocks while they kept themselves to the sand. The sand took longer but, in the end, it was their odd behaviour that worked for me.

I would siphon the top layer of sand, dinos and all, into a bowl. They would almost immediately clump into little balls which allowed me to pour mostly clean water back into the tank after a few minutes. A quick stir to disperse them again and I could pour the brown-again remaining water down the toilet. I kept the bowl's remaining sand in a bucket in the dark for a few days before returning it to the tank.

I know these buggers take many forms but this procedure worked for the ones I had.

Good luck.

• Like 2
Elizabeth94

No more pictures now?

(Unless my computer really isn't showing one..? Which I don't believe :rolleyes:)

20160505_123759_zpskxeslavp.jpg

• Like 1

No more pictures now?

(Unless my computer really isn't showing one..? Which I don't believe :rolleyes:)

It's showing on my device :huh:
  • Like 1
Elizabeth94

I restarted my computer, I can see it now! I thought you were playing a joke since you found possible dinos. Didn't want to hear that you already threw in the towel :closedeyes:

• Like 1
Elizabeth94

Good to hear. Take some peroxide and drip it om those rocks durring your water change. Scrub with a toothbrush and watch (and smell) it die. Seriously though, it does stink haha. I just had to do a spot of cyano that was getting a bit close to my birdsnest.

• Like 1