SaltCritters.com

Ninja's Red Sea Reefer 350 - still here!

ninjamyst

These monticaps are growing really really really well. I am so happy they recovered so nicely from the beginning.

26281573025_b36cc902ce_c.jpg

You could stick a clam in the center of the green monticap when it gets bigger! Which won't take long :D.
  • Like 2

You could stick a clam in the center of the green monticap when it gets bigger! Which won't take long :D.

hahahah. i am actually trying to decide where to put a clam....sandbed or on a rock? what happens if i put them on a rock and they decide to detach and fall on a coral?

• Like 2

hahahah. i am actually trying to decide where to put a clam....sandbed or on a rock? what happens if i put them on a rock and they decide to detach and fall on a coral?

Depends on what kind of clam you get :). If it falls it won't sting anything. Only issue would be crushing whatever it falls on. And I guess the victim could possibly sting the clam. Basically I have no idea about what would happen LOL.
  • Like 2

Depends on what kind of clam you get :). If it falls it won't sting anything. Only issue would be crushing whatever it falls on. And I guess the victim could possibly sting the clam. Basically I have no idea about what would happen LOL.

Maxima most likely. Probably best to leave it on the sandbed then. Just want to make sure it gets enough light.

• Like 1

Just make sure you research the type of clam you're getting. They all have particular preferences for placement.

Crocea clams are rock boring, and in nature, they're almost always found on rock, not on sand or rubble.

Maximas can be found on sandy substrates in the wild, but they're usually attached to something hard underneath the sand.

Squamosa, Gigas and Derasa seem to do well on sandy or hard substrates.

• Like 2

Just make sure you research the type of clam you're getting. They all have particular preferences for placement.

Crocea clams are rock boring, and in nature, they're almost always found on rock, not on sand or rubble.

Maximas can be found on sandy substrates in the wild, but they're usually attached to something hard underneath the sand.

Squamosa, Gigas and Derasa seem to do well on sandy or hard substrates.

thanks for the quick summary! definitely maximas since my LFS get those frequently and they are less expensive than others.

jedimasterben

Maximas really get too large if you're planning on keeping it on the monti cap long term, crocea would be a better choice in that regard, though they seem to be as touchy as maximas as of late, even though most that are available right now are squamosa/crocea hybrids.

• Like 1

So my new skimmer is pretty awesome when it is dialed in. However, i have to adjust it constantly. Which makes me think it would be really cool if someone develops a DC skimmer that controls itself. There should be a sensor inside the collection cup. If the rate of water is over X amount per second, it will automatically decrease the DC pump flow rate. If there hasn't been any new water for X mins, increase the flow rate. Self regulating skimmer.

• Like 2

25% coupon for DrsFosterAndSmith.com - LOYALFSH

Standard list of exclusion applies. But great for those that want misc supplies. Another great buy is the Fluval M series tanks. They are on sale plus you get 25% off.

• Like 4
HarryPotter

So my new skimmer is pretty awesome when it is dialed in. However, i have to adjust it constantly. Which makes me think it would be really cool if someone develops a DC skimmer that controls itself. There should be a sensor inside the collection cup. If the rate of water is over X amount per second, it will automatically decrease the DC pump flow rate. If there hasn't been any new water for X mins, increase the flow rate. Self regulating skimmer.

Maybe it's too large to keep up a constant head?

• Like 2

Do people clean the inner neck of their skimmer collection cup? or is it better to just leave it brown with crap?

yes sir about once every 3 weeks to month.
  • Like 1
jedimasterben

Do people clean the inner neck of their skimmer collection cup? or is it better to just leave it brown with crap?

The cleaner it is, the better it will skim. I brush mine every time I empty the cup.

• Like 1

used 25% coupon for salt. $42 for 200g Reef Crystal shipped to your dorr is pretty darn good. Got some vitamin C too. Zoas looking funky lately. Yes I know it's all snake oil but it's the effort that counts =P.

• Like 3

used 25% coupon for salt. $42 for 200g Reef Crystal shipped to your dorr is pretty darn good. Got some vitamin C too. Zoas looking funky lately. Yes I know it's all snake oil but it's the effort that counts =P.

Where did you buy the Reef Crystals from? $42 is a great deal! If you need it when you don't have a coupon, Drs Foster and Smith sells that 200 gallon box from $49.99 to $54.99, depending on their specials. They have free shipping for orders of $50 or over, so that's usually the best price I can find for that salt without a specific coupon. I actually just ordered a box from them a couple weeks back.

• Like 1

25% coupon for DrsFosterAndSmith.com - LOYALFSH

Standard list of exclusion applies. But great for those that want misc supplies. Another great buy is the Fluval M series tanks. They are on sale plus you get 25% off.

Where did you buy the Reef Crystals from? $42 is a great deal! If you need it when you don't have a coupon, Drs Foster and Smith sells that 200 gallon box from $49.99 to $54.99, depending on their specials. They have free shipping for orders of $50 or over, so that's usually the best price I can find for that salt without a specific coupon. I actually just ordered a box from them a couple weeks back.

above ^^

=)

• Like 1

above ^^

=)

We're on the same page then! I do remember seeing a 25% coupon from DFS in my email. Sadly I just had to buy salt and some other supplies so now I don't really need anything. I generally buy all my online aquarium supplies from Amazon, Marine Depot, or BRS but Reef Crystals is the one thing I always get from DFS because they always have it cheapest.

• Like 2

We're on the same page then! I do remember seeing a 25% coupon from DFS in my email. Sadly I just had to buy salt and some other supplies so now I don't really need anything. I generally buy all my online aquarium supplies from Amazon, Marine Depot, or BRS but Reef Crystals is the one thing I always get from DFS because they always have it cheapest.

same here. salt and filter pads i get from DFS.

• Like 1

I still get salt from the LFS Red Sea bags are not bad and like to help the locals out......If they go there will be no place to get my fix.....

• Like 3