Top Shelf Aquatics

Ninja's Red Sea Reefer 350 - still here!

ninjamyst

Elizabeth94

Just curious since the tank has been running for a bit- How do you feel about the Kessil with consideration to it's cost? It looks like a pretty legitimate fixture, but for the price why didn't you just go with a t5 fixture?

I love led's for their controllability and have never has a tank quite large enough for a decent t5 fixture, so I have no direct experience with them. I would love to own a nice hybrid, but I am a poor college student ;) . Still, I am already laying out plans for a larger tank once I graduate and can afford my own house, and trying T5's is something I look forward to but have no experience with.

Your caps look extremely healthy and vibrant. Good to see that they turned around for you.

• Like 1

Just curious since the tank has been running for a bit- How do you feel about the Kessil with consideration to it's cost? It looks like a pretty legitimate fixture, but for the price why didn't you just go with a t5 fixture?

I love led's for their controllability and have never has a tank quite large enough for a decent t5 fixture, so I have no direct experience with them. I would love to own a nice hybrid, but I am a poor college student ;) . Still, I am already laying out plans for a larger tank once I graduate and can afford my own house, and trying T5's is something I look forward to but have no experience with.

Your caps look extremely healthy and vibrant. Good to see that they turned around for you.

I would love to run T5's but there's no good way to hang it without drilling into the ceiling. Since this is a new house, my wife was very against drilling into the ceiling. And aesthetically T5 fixture is bulky and not as sleek as LEDs. I would love to get Dave's hybrid but they are in 24" only.

As far as the Kessil goes, it's a great fixture. It's amazing how much light it puts out with two pucks. One power supply, one controlled light. No need to run multiple units and daisy chain them. As far as the price, once you add $140 for the tank mounts, it's start to get expensive. If I were to do it all over again, I may not have went with Kessil.

• Like 1

Wow! That's a clean sump! I gave up on trying to keep mine clean, so its an ugly mess. Looks like you're doing a good job keeping up with the sump cleaning :)

• Like 1

Wow! That's a clean sump! I gave up on trying to keep mine clean, so its an ugly mess. Looks like you're doing a good job keeping up with the sump cleaning :)

I try =). It is very time consuming though to use just a turkey baster to suck up detritus. Sometimes I just run a powerhead down there to stir things up and let the filter pad catch it.

I see you run seachem matrix as well.... lol

Yup, have about 2L in there. I have two additional bags of them in the back of the sump too that you can't really see.

Nice. Now did you feel like the rock is enough or are you planning to put in more rocks later?

I like the open space right now and dont plan on adding any more rocks. If anything, I may add a mag rock to the back wall. I am running out of room to mount corals soon though....

• Like 3
phillyclownfish

These monticaps are growing really really really well. I am so happy they recovered so nicely from the beginning.

26281573025_b36cc902ce_c.jpg

Nice! My montis are loving the radion. Some nice growth with them and the all the birdsnest..

• Like 3

These monticaps are growing really really really well. I am so happy they recovered so nicely from the beginning.

26281573025_b36cc902ce_c.jpg

Nice! My montis are loving the radion. Some nice growth with them and the all the birdsnest..

My green birdsnest is doing really well so I hope to get a pink birdsnest soon.

I like how you have reversed colors underneath them.

I didn't even notice! Thanks for bringing it up. I love those blastos. I had a few blasto frags that never did well in my nano but are now doing really really well here. So weird how corals behave in different tanks. Same water, same maintenance...
  • Like 2

Water change and sump cleaning day:

26262380882_a9d175c695_c.jpg

thanks! still trying to decide on the last fish to add...

Odd question. I have one of those wide point coral feeders. it looks like you put an extension on it. How did you do it? Seriously, I can't figure out how the extension tube works :lol:

Depends on what kind of clam you get :). If it falls it won't sting anything. Only issue would be crushing whatever it falls on. And I guess the victim could possibly sting the clam. Basically I have no idea about what would happen LOL.

I lol'd at this.

• Like 2

25% coupon for DrsFosterAndSmith.com - LOYALFSH

Standard list of exclusion applies. But great for those that want misc supplies. Another great buy is the Fluval M series tanks. They are on sale plus you get 25% off.

Just used this to buy salt :) thanks Ninja!

• Like 1
jedimasterben

Odd question. I have one of those wide point coral feeders. it looks like you put an extension on it. How did you do it? Seriously, I can't figure out how the extension tube works :lol:

It still works on suction - just take another length of the tubing and slide it over the other and then use something like hot glue to make it seal and stay in place :)

• Like 1

It still works on suction - just take another length of the tubing and slide it over the other and then use something like hot glue to make it seal and stay in place :)

So here's where I get confused ( :lol: ) - there's the feeding tip and then there's the stopper at the other end of the tube. I can't remove the feeding tip and I can't remove the stopper thingie in the tube. Which end do I slide this extension over?

• Like 1

Just used this to buy salt :) thanks Ninja!

you are welcome! I love making people spend money. Makes me feel less guilty when I spend money....

So here's where I get confused ( :lol: ) - there's the feeding tip and then there's the stopper at the other end of the tube. I can't remove the feeding tip and I can't remove the stopper thingie in the tube. Which end do I slide this extension over?

I was able to remove blue pump thingy and connect the extension tube. But be VERY careful. The tube are very fragile and crack easily.

• Like 2

you are welcome! I love making people spend money. Makes me feel less guilty when I spend money....

I was able to remove blue pump thingy and connect the extension tube. But be VERY careful. The tube are very fragile and crack easily.

Yeah, I cracked one already :wacko:

But what did you do with the stopper that is at the blue bulb end and in the tube? Did you leave it there? What if water/food hits that stopper thingie? And i wondered why it took me weeks to figure out the plumbing on my "plug and play" system

jedimasterben

The bigger end slides over the smaller end ;)

• Like 3

The bigger end slides over the smaller end ;)

:lol:

JMB! You just answered all of my plumbing problems I had months ago. Where were you last October??? ;)

• Like 1
jedimasterben

:lol:

JMB! You just answered all of my plumbing problems I had months ago. Where were you last October??? ;)

Probably sliding the smaller end into the bigger end ;)

• Like 5