Top Shelf Aquatics

thecoralbeauty

thecoralbeauty

refractometer came. SO cool. I've only ever had the swinging arm- and i ordered a replacement for that as well just in case i manage to break this again haha

I've been thinking hard about the salt mixture. i've been running fine in IO and it's mixing an alk around 9 pretty consistently. i think for the time being, i'll stick to it. it's cheap, and honestly my tank has so much maturing to do at this point anyway that even if i had the BEST salt ever, I'm not sure it would really have much to do with the results immediately as just time and consistency while this continues to establish itself. this tank is about 2 months old. i'll probably try out the bright well salt when I'm closer to 6-8 months and feel that it might be worth the boost. :)

refractometer came. SO cool. I've only ever had the swinging arm- and i ordered a replacement for that as well just in case i manage to break this again haha

I've been thinking hard about the salt mixture. i've been running fine in IO and it's mixing an alk around 9 pretty consistently. i think for the time being, i'll stick to it. it's cheap, and honestly my tank has so much maturing to do at this point anyway that even if i had the BEST salt ever, I'm not sure it would really have much to do with the results immediately as just time and consistency while this continues to establish itself. this tank is about 2 months old. i'll probably try out the bright well salt when I'm closer to 6-8 months and feel that it might be worth the boost. :)

I CANT BELIEVE YOU WERE USING A HYDROMETER!! :o

• Like 3
jedimasterben

Never, ever calibrate a refractometer with anything other than 35ppt fluid. Bad Harold. :slap:

BTW, there is nothing wrong with a hydrometer, even a swing arm model, as long as it is well taken care of, just rinse off after each use and don't bang it up. Refractometers actually require more work. One of the things on my list of shit to buy is a glass hydrometer, as those are creme de la creme of salinity measurement.

• Like 3

Never, ever calibrate a refractometer with anything other than 35ppt fluid. Bad Harold. :slap:

BTW, there is nothing wrong with a hydrometer, even a swing arm model, as long as it is well taken care of, just rinse off after each use and don't bang it up. Refractometers actually require more work. One of the things on my list of shit to buy is a glass hydrometer, as those are creme de la creme of salinity measurement.

You have to first find out which brand refractometer is being used. If using the Red Sea brand, it is to be calibrated with RODI and only RODI.

jedimasterben

You have to first find out which brand refractometer is being used. If using the Red Sea brand, it is to be calibrated with RODI and only RODI.

If you're measuring RO/DI, then yes, that is how it works. The farther you are away from your calibration point, the more uncertainty the reading will have. Always calibrate to your desired setpoint, which in this case is 35ppt.

If you're measuring RO/DI, then yes, that is how it works. The farther you are away from your calibration point, the more uncertainty the reading will have. Always calibrate to your desired setpoint, which in this case is 35ppt.

Benny, the Red Sea refractometer specifically tells you to calibrate with RODI, they even tell you why, so no, you're not correct.

jedimasterben

Benny, the Red Sea refractometer specifically tells you to calibrate with RODI, they even tell you why, so no, you're not correct.

How far do you want your reading to deviate from the sample?

How far do you want your reading to deviate from the sample?

I absolutely hate the red sea refractometer. I could not get it to stay calibrated whether I used RODI or 35ppt fluid. I went back to the el cheapo refractometer I got from Amazon and could not be happier....and I do calibrate with 35ppt fluid.

• Like 1

The urchin was having some fun, little did you know :lol::lol: I've been less active lately so just going thru this (new to my eyes) build of yours and it looks fantastic! Well done!

• Like 1
thecoralbeauty

Takes forever unless you have a huge army of diatom eaters. And every little new thing you put in like a new frag plug, boom they are back again.

yep- i think just leaving it all alone was the best thing i could have done.

what all eats diatoms?!

The urchin was having some fun, little did you know :lol::lol: I've been less active lately so just going thru this (new to my eyes) build of yours and it looks fantastic! Well done!

wow thank you! that means a lot, i really appreciate it!

• Like 1

yep- i think just leaving it all alone was the best thing i could have done.

what all eats diatoms?!

Reefcleaners has a lot of the CUC that do, different types of snails, the smaller species mostly. They're snails so it's Slooooooooowwwww going on the cleanup.

• Like 2
  • thecoralbeauty changed the title to Anthrax & Gangs! *mimosa clams are here*