Coral Vue Hydros

thecoralbeauty

thecoralbeauty

So, my purple stylo is acting strange too. not extending the whole way. ive had it about two weeks now. no signs of this until last night. isn't RTN, (yet) so i don;t know what it is.

i was going to do a water change last night (i did one sunday but with sps being unhappy i wanted to err on the side of caution and do another water change.) but i'm really sick and didnt get around to it.

So, my purple stylo is acting strange too. not extending the whole way. ive had it about two weeks now. no signs of this until last night. isn't RTN, (yet) so i don;t know what it is.

i was going to do a water change last night (i did one sunday but with sps being unhappy i wanted to err on the side of caution and do another water change.) but i'm really sick and didnt get around to it.

Morgan, just run all the tests you have, including nitrates and phosphates. If you don't have those kits, can the LFS test them for you?

Check salinity as well as temperature.

Also, any rings/jewelry on when you work on the tank?

thecoralbeauty

Morgan, just run all the tests you have, including nitrates and phosphates. If you don't have those kits, can the LFS test them for you?

Check salinity as well as temperature.

Also, any rings/jewelry on when you work on the tank?

nitrates were 5. dont have phosphates- will look into that when i get a chance.

salinity was 1.026 at last water change but its possible the skimmer threw it off. will check tonight. temp has been pretty constnant but will check as well.

no jewelry- take off my brass ring if im bare-handed, and use those gloves you recommended when im lazy

• Like 1
thecoralbeauty

still not feeling especially well, didn't even have the energy to take my trash out last night and i had to miss my shooting league as well. whatever this stomach bug is, it needs to stop.

I did have a few thoughts though, depending on how my tests turn out....

right now my first compartment of my sump is just a pile of filter floss and chemipure. im changing it out every two weeks- but would like to go longer between... water then goes into the skimmer and across the refugium where my macros are happily growing, and then to the return and back up into the display... but im sure there's a better way to do this.

Hey there Morgan, how's your skimmer doing? Is it collecting dark skimate - I can't seem to get mine really dark like coffee. Stellablue posts up her's and it dark as hell- just the way I want it. One difference I saw is there are a lot of bubble coming out of the blue tube with mine- always been that way. Stellablues doesn't have any and she said you encountered this with your skimmer too. Were you able to correct it?

Here's a few pics

69f18421b5cf5689c504f50109c3e9b9_zpsjfk2

Maybe raising the pump up somehow to be farther above to the blue tube entry point?b

0f88fb91061db8bdd18e49515c59d13f_zps6fum

• Like 1
thecoralbeauty

yea- mine does that too and i havent been able to correct it at all. no amount of fiddling seems to help it. it took several weeks to get coffee colored stuff, and it still is a little hit-or-miss with the settings. please let me know if you figure it out??

• Like 1

yea- mine does that too and i havent been able to correct it at all. no amount of fiddling seems to help it. it took several weeks to get coffee colored stuff, and it still is a little hit-or-miss with the settings. please let me know if you figure it out??

Ok, seems like the same thing I am experiencing. I wrote them and they said give it a another week or so. They didn't address the bubbles coming out of the blue tube so I write them back asking again about that. I'll let ya know what I find!

thecoralbeauty

Ok, seems like the same thing I am experiencing. I wrote them and they said give it a another week or so. They didn't address the bubbles coming out of the blue tube so I write them back asking again about that. I'll let ya know what I find!

feel free to include my tank is 4 months old now and i still have a ton of bubbles like that. thanks for keeping me posted.

• Like 1
thecoralbeauty

whew! Busy!! essentially I'm feeling better (thank you Mom2Many and Annette!) and had a wonderful weekend at Reef Stock. I also figured out my stylophora loss- I baked him! My poci bleached out (didn't die like I originally worried, thank god) and funny enough- just as I realized this, I got EcoTech marine's white paper report and decided to just try out their SPS AB+ program for a few weeks. :)

Additions:

BF7F5F75-1F83-4469-A89D-83B282735AEF_zps

9ECA038C-8D4D-4BBF-8321-E25FEDFE3C7B_zps

476E8A7D-18D7-42F1-8ED0-C89FCFE62A8C_zps

41CFB826-2AF5-43A2-81A8-5800B3770DB3_zps

EAF136F7-5543-4101-8E54-D9620752D336_zps

885496D6-CDE0-438B-9B27-8651FF7CF77C_zps

And a FTS/Fuge shot (I'm so in love with my rescue dendro!!)

A0118492-7822-465E-A4D0-3ACDB16EF570_zps

FF29AD6E-4DC3-40FA-89B9-515D9BFB8037_zps

• Like 11
thecoralbeauty

looking great! the tube anemones are really unique. any concern about the GSP overtaking that rock?

Oh there's plenty of concern.... Will need to prune soon for sure. Any suggestions about how??

• Like 1

Oh there's plenty of concern.... Will need to prune soon for sure. Any suggestions about how??

Razor blade or scalpel blade. i had to scrape off tons of GSP in my nano from the rock. It's not fun. And I had to do it multiple times and still can't get all of it.

• Like 1
thecoralbeauty

Does it peel off at all? I'm worried my rock is too bumpy that a razor blade/scalpel is going to be really tough.

I love the look of it blowing in the current but it needs to be contained that's for sure.

Some of it will peel off but a lot of it won't =(. And if it peels off nicely, you can glue it back somewhere else...like cover your entire overflow box with GSP =P. A scalpel is what I use and it's definitely easier than a razor blade. Hopefully others can chime in on best way to remove GSP from rock.

• Like 2

GSP will need peeling, cutting, and if you can't get at a few spots you might have to epoxy over it. It behaves when it's growing on sand so if you can isolate a small rock and keep it a tad separated from the rest, you can have GSP and not have it take over too.

• Like 3
thecoralbeauty

Sent ya a PM last week about our skimmer- good info I think I'll do this mod in a few weeks when I am back in town.

yea i saw that but am scared to fiddle with it and break it.... would you let me know how it goes and then maybe i'll get the guts to go through with it?

• Like 1

Looking good Morgan. I love how well thought out and planned your design is. It's going to look really great in time, when your corals have grown.

Nice work.

• Like 1
thecoralbeauty

Looking good Morgan. I love how well thought out and planned your design is. It's going to look really great in time, when your corals have grown.

Nice work.

thank you! I can't wait till things really start to take off. I hope with dosing Mg as well that things will be stable really easily.

idk if you can see in the fuge photo, but they threw in a piece of blueberry gorgonian when i grabbed my tube anemone....

do they need a ton of flow? thinking about taking him out of my fuge since he's so pretty anyway, but i've heard they're also super hard to keep.

Your gorgonian is NPS (non-photosynthetic) which means you'll have to feed it by hand. I've yet to talk to anyone who's kept one alive for more than a few months. :( It's too bad, they're absolutely gorgeous...

• thecoralbeauty changed the title to Anthrax & Gangs! *mimosa clams are here*