inTank Media Baskets

thecoralbeauty

thecoralbeauty

Your gorgonian is NPS (non-photosynthetic) which means you'll have to feed it by hand. I've yet to talk to anyone who's kept one alive for more than a few months. :( It's too bad, they're absolutely gorgeous...

Thats why he was in the fuge with my dendros and sun coral- I feed them by hand every day more or less so I immediately classified him with them- but there's not much flow down there.

Sk8n Reefer

yea i saw that but am scared to fiddle with it and break it.... would you let me know how it goes and then maybe i'll get the guts to go through with it?

Super simple just cut the outlet tube shorter- the barbed part. My pump came with two so if you screw one up you have another. Really straight forward though. I'll be cutting my after I am done with my two weeks of travel- I'll let ya know
  • Like 1
jedimasterben

Thats why he was in the fuge with my dendros and sun coral- I feed them by hand every day more or less so I immediately classified him with them- but there's not much flow down there.

That's a big problem - it's unlikely to open its polyps without strong, intermittent flow.

thecoralbeauty

That's a big problem - it's unlikely to open its polyps without strong, intermittent flow.

Good, that's what I thought so I stuck it in the display where it will get lots of flow!

thecoralbeauty

params tonight:

wondering why my calcium seems low but my alk is high. maybe boosting the mg higher will bring the alk back down a bit and let me dose more calcium? hm. getting close though!

alk: 11.8

ca: 350

mg: 1260

CronicReefer

params tonight:

wondering why my calcium seems low but my alk is high. maybe boosting the mg higher will bring the alk back down a bit and let me dose more calcium? hm. getting close though!

alk: 11.8

ca: 350

mg: 1260

Mg needs to be around 1300 for calcium to stay stable and it will also increase the stability of your alkalinity. Mg prevents abiotic precipitation of calcium carbonate when kept at proper levels.
  • Like 2
thecoralbeauty

Mg needs to be around 1300 for calcium to stay stable and it will also increase the stability of your alkalinity. Mg prevents abiotic precipitation of calcium carbonate when kept at proper levels.

Perfect. I bumped my Mg last night- I'll test again tonight!

When you dose Alk (HCO3 and CO3) it will usually cause your Ca to drop. Likewise, when you dose Ca it will cause your Alk to drop. An imbalance like that is tricky to fix. You may have already answered this but what are you using for dosing? I'm assuming two part because kalkwasser and calcium reactors usually keep everything in balance due to the nature of how they work.

thecoralbeauty

When you dose Alk (HCO3 and CO3) it will usually cause your Ca to drop. Likewise, when you dose Ca it will cause your Alk to drop. An imbalance like that is tricky to fix. You may have already answered this but what are you using for dosing? I'm assuming two part because kalkwasser and calcium reactors usually keep everything in balance due to the nature of how they work.

just b-ionic two part and the mg from the same company with a doser.

CronicReefer

I find sodium carbonate and Calcion to be the best for keeping calcium and alkalinity stable and super cheap. One gram of sodium carbonate will increase dkh by one point in 15 gallons of water which costs $20 for 10lbs. One mL of Calcion increases one gallon by 40ppm which is double b-ionic. Once you get that Mg to 1300-1350 alk and calc become much easier to manage.
  • Like 1

Have you been dosing equal parts this whole time? If you have, then your params should be balanced and it would indicate an imbalance is coming from somewhere else. Have you tested your new salt water before doing a water change?

thecoralbeauty

Have you been dosing equal parts this whole time? If you have, then your params should be balanced and it would indicate an imbalance is coming from somewhere else. Have you tested your new salt water before doing a water change?

Yea, I have- and I did. The old bag of salt I had been using was extremely low in Mg. Hoping I can get it back up with fresh salt, which is testing right on the money with Mg.

Yea, I have- and I did. The old bag of salt I had been using was extremely low in Mg. Hoping I can get it back up with fresh salt, which is testing right on the money with Mg.

Weak. I dislike when salt is not good. Do you shake your salt each time before using it? When it sits, some things settle out to the bottom.

thecoralbeauty

Weak. I dislike when salt is not good. Do you shake your salt each time before using it? When it sits, some things settle out to the bottom.

interesting... i dont shake it

thecoralbeauty

In much better news, I did pretty well at my first ever archery tournament this last weekend.

Here I am on the end- 'reping my shop in the staff shooter jersey they got me. :)

I placed third in my division, much better than I thought I would!

12321580_10208807615846022_6716507482676

• Like 8

Way to go and good for you. I think that is so cool that you do archery! Also I went back a page to see what gorg was in your sump and while I was at it I saw your most recent FTS which looks great. Your tank is very nicely scaped and when the coral grow out more will be spectacular.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
thecoralbeauty

It;s been a while! Lots of archery tournaments starting to pick up this time of year, and my tank is mysteriously not doing so well.

Despite religious water changes, param testing, and maintaining the best possible version of my typical routine, my SPS seem bugged. Im losing my jack-o-lantern lepto, my pink birdsnest that survived the cat crash suddenly RTN'd almost overnight, and other SPS aren't growing much at best, and at worst are slowly necrosing in random places.

The only thing at this point that I think it may be is that a piece of the aluminum foil from the PE Mysis and Calanus I feed somehow got lost in the tank... but is aluminum poisoning a thing?

I've disturbed things even more by trying to find it but have not found a thing. If there is a piece in there, it's not coming out.

Ideas??

• thecoralbeauty changed the title to Anthrax & Gangs! *mimosa clams are here*