Coral Vue Hydros

thecoralbeauty

thecoralbeauty

how do you tell cyano vs diatom? i always thought you can blow cyano off but diatom is more sticky.

red vs. brown... bubbles vs no bubbles. etc

i had in in my ten gal in college within the first few months. not too concerned, just mildly annoyed haha

red vs. brown... bubbles vs no bubbles. etc

i had in in my ten gal in college within the first few months. not too concerned, just mildly annoyed haha

I think every new tank goes through this. It's tough to see it though.

I'm so glad your fish are fine now! They must be very healthy fish :).

• Like 1
thecoralbeauty

Did a 12 gal water change- siphoned what little remained of the cyano (looked more like diatoms in places) and thoroughly stirred things up. replaced carbon, floss. waiting for things to clear.

• Like 4

Did a 12 gal water change- siphoned what little remained of the cyano (looked more like diatoms in places) and thoroughly stirred things up. replaced carbon, floss. waiting for things to clear.

Sounds like a good plan of attack. I agree with Kat, I think if you keep on keeping on with faithful husbandry that you will be just fine and this will be just a temporary phase.
  • Like 1

great minds think a lot. just done installing media reactor in mine, replaced all the filter floss, cleaned up sump.

• Like 1
thecoralbeauty

some small patches of brown are on my sand this morning- very minimal. they look like diatoms, but then, the cyano i had before did too.

ill keep and eye on it and if necessary, re-dose chemiclean in a day or two. i don't want to throw anything else off balance in the tank by doing too many water changes too quickly.

Params:

Ca: 430

Mg: 1290

Alk: 9.9

Nitrate/Nitrite: 0

Ammonia: 0

SpG: 1.026

• Like 2
thecoralbeauty

Your cal/alk are right near their balance as it is. Adding more calcium alone will do nothing for growth.

good to know. i boosted by 3 mls, so it wasn't much of a bump, but i may just leave it as is....

I've read a bunch of conflicting information. i think maybe I'm not seeing the growth i was seeing in the 20 just because its a new tank i transferred into.

• Like 1
jedimasterben

good to know. i boosted by 3 mls, so it wasn't much of a bump, but i may just leave it as is....

I've read a bunch of conflicting information. i think maybe I'm not seeing the growth i was seeing in the 20 just because its a new tank i transferred into.

IMHO, give it time. Even moving every piece of live rock and every bit of sand into a new tank doesn't bring it over 100% just like it was, takes quite a bit of time for everything to stabilize, usually starts around 6-8 months and then around a year to 18 months stuff will really settle in and take off :)

• Like 3
thecoralbeauty

IMHO, give it time. Even moving every piece of live rock and every bit of sand into a new tank doesn't bring it over 100% just like it was, takes quite a bit of time for everything to stabilize, usually starts around 6-8 months and then around a year to 18 months stuff will really settle in and take off :)

exactly. the fact that I'm already seeing a LITTLE growth should mean a lot.

Love the look of your little fuge, with those macros and Xenia.

If you find that you've got diatoms, and you run out of patience, try a UV Sterilzer. I had bad diatoms that nothing would get rid of. I got a used UV Sterilzer for $50, plugged it in, kept the sand stirred up, the rocks blown off, and it was gone in a week or two.

• Like 2
thecoralbeauty

Started treatment again for cyano- it's definitely diatoms. The red slime is definitely gone- I took it out with the first treatment of chemiclean. However, this helps confirm as well- they're diatoms.

Which is fine, and to be expected with new sand. I guess it also makes sense that they've appeared in more full force after a solid sand-bed stirring session. I should cut that out.. It's hard though, trying to figure out my flow... andI have the sugar fine sand... so it blows everywhere.

I'll figure it out! I am determined.

In other news: Ten days left in my masters program.

• Like 1
thecoralbeauty

Whoa- just tested ca and alk...

ca- 490

alk- 9.3 (whoa... dropped fast. bumping by a mil to help it plateau)

i need to test my alk with brand new salt water before i do a water change- it's possible that the IO is mixing with a high alk, which is why i tested at 9.9 right after a change...

hm.

thecoralbeauty

i switched to IO because the alk varied so much between batches of RC last year... haven't tested it since the summer though- that was like a box of salt ago...

i switched to IO because the alk varied so much between batches of RC last year... haven't tested it since the summer though- that was like a box of salt ago...

I used to use IO and RC but found the alkalinity was always 10 or higher and magnesium was usually low. I use Brightwell NeoMarine now and I love it. Mixes to 7.5-8 alkalinity everytime and magnesium always at 1300 and cal at 425. Really consistent stuff every batch.
  • Like 1
thecoralbeauty

I used to use IO and RC but found the alkalinity was always 10 or higher and magnesium was usually low. I use Brightwell NeoMarine now and I love it. Mixes to 7.5-8 alkalinity everytime and magnesium always at 1300 and cal at 425. Really consistent stuff every batch.

hows the price?

jedimasterben

I used to use IO, because salt is salt lol, but I found a place that sells Red Sea salt for just a bit more. The '160 gallon' bucket of Instant Ocean is $45, which makes it seem like it is only about $0.28/gal - but the quoted volume of water is only at 25ppt, not 35ppt. It only makes 133 gallons of 35ppt water, which brings the cost to $0.34/gal. Red Sea salt makes 175 gallons at 34ppt and costs $65 for that bucket, so the total cost is only $0.37/gal. It mixes up very quickly (just a few minutes) and doesn't have the same organics that IO and RC do, which is not necessarily a bad thing, but it keeps the mixing vessel cleaner :)

• Like 4

hows the price?

You can find it usually for $65 per 150 gallon bucket. It's one of the more expensive salts but worth every penny. Using jedis fancy formula it costs $0.43 per gallon at 35ppt.

• thecoralbeauty changed the title to Anthrax & Gangs! *mimosa clams are here*