Coral Vue Hydros

thecoralbeauty

thecoralbeauty

Isn't there an arm brace or band that helps protect you during archery? The skin will harden over time but I'm not sure you want a hard patch of skin on your arm there.

yes, and i normally don't hit myself (i can NOT lock my elbow and i can shoot without problem). however, the bow is almost 6 inches longer axle to axle, about 10 pounds heavier draw, and a pound heavier than my old bow, so i was just so busy trying to get the feel for it and everything that i spaced and locked my elbow while drawing and releasing (THAT is how you get snapped). you usually only gotta do it once to realize 'yea, ok that hurts... noted' haha

some people have to shoot with an arm guard. i'm lucky in that i don't. just gotta pay attention.

• Like 1
thecoralbeauty

i'm itching to pick up a frag of purple pocillipora. now that the RFA has moved out of the way. but my favorite fish store isn't normally open on tuesdays. i may text him in case he happens to be in today, with the epic snow day we all have.

• Like 2

yes, and i normally don't hit myself (i can NOT lock my elbow and i can shoot without problem). however, the bow is almost 6 inches longer axle to axle, about 10 pounds heavier draw, and a pound heavier than my old bow, so i was just so busy trying to get the feel for it and everything that i spaced and locked my elbow while drawing and releasing (THAT is how you get snapped). you usually only gotta do it once to realize 'yea, ok that hurts... noted' haha

some people have to shoot with an arm guard. i'm lucky in that i don't. just gotta pay attention.

:( Sounds so painful ouch

i'm itching to pick up a frag of purple pocillipora. now that the RFA has moved out of the way. but my favorite fish store isn't normally open on tuesdays. i may text him in case he happens to be in today, with the epic snow day we all have.

How much snow did you get?

Hey, if you had to give a recommendation for a good hunting compound, what would you say? I have a Ben Pearson hawk 7370 that I play around with in my backyard but wouldn't really want to use in a real situation.

thecoralbeauty

How much snow did you get?

Hey, if you had to give a recommendation for a good hunting compound, what would you say? I have a Ben Pearson hawk 7370 that I play around with in my backyard but wouldn't really want to use in a real situation.

we got about 7 inches on my part of town. back to school today though- typical colorado. sun was out by 5pm yesterday.

hm. i've never even heard of that bow, but i'm relatively new to the hobby so that doesn't surprise me. my hunting bow is a bear cruzer- i know many people who went with bears as well. my dad owns the trax, for example, and loves it. Bear's bows have ready to hunt packages are affordable and make sense for what you'd want to do for a hunting bow- compact, smooth draw, lightweight. i have no complaints and honestly its an amazing deal. nothing fancy, comes with everything you need (sight, rest, stabilizer) so there's a reason it's such a solid stand by for folks, and i still love mine. you can see how small it is next to my new bow.

I've also heard that mathews has a good hunting setup, but haven't seen it in person yet apparently it's smaller than my bear. Bowtech and Diamond have good hunting setups as well, they are both small and light, but i liked the draw on my bear better so i passed them over. PSE is the brand that my new bow is- though im using it for target shooting. they do have hunting setups. the carbon air is small and light, and the stinger models are as well. hoyt has similar hunting models as well that are small and lightweight. never shot a hoyt though. Elite bows are pretty awesome, but they tend to be on the larger side, though they are really lightweight and really smooth to draw so people do hunt with them. it all depends on what your price point is and what features you really want to have included. i could technically hunt with my PSE, but i'd prefer my bear just because i prefer the smaller size and weight for hunting situations.

i dont have any new coral or tank photos- but here is how i spent my snow day. didn't snap myself once! :)

6E5F7DE1-6CF9-4B2A-A32C-F69E5CBF7536_zps

(aiming at 20 yards, not the bale)

D67D1F69-3949-47A3-B5F7-C36BCB77D1A2_zps

F2D00CAF-9874-4781-A502-5D83EF68F344_zps

162196CC-B54B-4D68-A534-329B8B4EA838_zps

• Like 5

i dont have any new coral or tank photos- but here is how i spent my snow day. didn't snap myself once! :)

I got a groupon a few years ago for archery lessons. It was a lot of fun, but I didn't have to pay for the groupon so I have no idea how much it really was.

Do you find it to be an expensive hobby? Do you shoot anything other than a target at a range?

thecoralbeauty

I got a groupon a few years ago for archery lessons. It was a lot of fun, but I didn't have to pay for the groupon so I have no idea how much it really was.

Do you find it to be an expensive hobby? Do you shoot anything other than a target at a range?

ahhh i love groupon!!

it's super cheap- especially compared to reefing!

Its not like you have to go and buy ammo all the time since you re-use your arrows- and you can spend as much or little on your arrows (and equipment) as you want. Range time is around 5-10 bucks for the day or hour, depending on where you go. since i'm on staff as a shooter now, i don't pay, so i forgot. there are lots of indoor and outdoor ranges.

you can also go shoot anywhere outside that's national forest, and in your backyard if your city allows it.

there are 3D archery ranges that simulate animals, hunting, etc. there are also setups with moving targets, etc. some get pretty fancy. i'm hoping to hunt this season as well, so i have a feeling i'll be spending a lot of time on those to help prepare.

• Like 2

there are 3D archery ranges that simulate animals, hunting, etc. there are also setups with moving targets, etc. some get pretty fancy. i'm hoping to hunt this season as well, so i have a feeling i'll be spending a lot of time on those to help prepare.

I could do a simulation. Not so sure about the real thing though!!

thecoralbeauty

Alk- 9.9

Ca- 340

Mg-1170

ok- so things (besides alk) aren't as high as I want them- but thats good- lots of things consuming so hopefully that means things trying to grow. may have to start dosing 3 parts instead of just ca and alk.

• Like 2

The high Alk will be forcing Mag down. Reducing the Alk will make it easier to raise Mag and Alk is easier to maintain when Mag is at the right levels. It is a bit of a balancing act but I definitely think that dosing the 3 separately is more beneficial when the tank starts drawing heavily on the elements.

I'm having similar issue with my Mag also at the moment. My levels are similar to yours but my Calcium sits at 400ppm and my Alk is between 6.5-7.5dKH.

• Like 3
thecoralbeauty

So, I've noticed a ton of growth in the last few days. My idaho grape from gena is getting so big it's touching my starburst cap- this happened within 24 hours. Should I be worried about them touching?

Also my GSP is starting to encrust the plug on the jack-o-lantern coral, and I'll have to cut that. razor blade shopping, here I come? GSP always grows fast though, so I'm not totally surprised.

I've had to move the MP40 around the side again to herd the RFA back away from the slimer it started to touch yesterday. this thing is such a pain in the neck, i'm about to just start trying to kill it. Obviously I'd rather peel it off and trade it in/sell it, but that's difficult with all the cracks and crannies I have in the rock it's attached to. Every time I touch it, it shrinks back into a hole and i can't reach it, let alone try to peel it off.

• Like 1
thecoralbeauty

The high Alk will be forcing Mag down. Reducing the Alk will make it easier to raise Mag and Alk is easier to maintain when Mag is at the right levels. It is a bit of a balancing act but I definitely think that dosing the 3 separately is more beneficial when the tank starts drawing heavily on the elements.

I'm having similar issue with my Mag also at the moment. My levels are similar to yours but my Calcium sits at 400ppm and my Alk is between 6.5-7.5dKH.

i have four channels on my dosing pump. considering putting mag on the third, as ca and alk are 1 and 2.

we got about 7 inches on my part of town. back to school today though- typical colorado. sun was out by 5pm yesterday.

hm. i've never even heard of that bow, but i'm relatively new to the hobby so that doesn't surprise me. my hunting bow is a bear cruzer- i know many people who went with bears as well. my dad owns the trax, for example, and loves it. Bear's bows have ready to hunt packages are affordable and make sense for what you'd want to do for a hunting bow- compact, smooth draw, lightweight. i have no complaints and honestly its an amazing deal. nothing fancy, comes with everything you need (sight, rest, stabilizer) so there's a reason it's such a solid stand by for folks, and i still love mine. you can see how small it is next to my new bow.

I've also heard that mathews has a good hunting setup, but haven't seen it in person yet apparently it's smaller than my bear. Bowtech and Diamond have good hunting setups as well, they are both small and light, but i liked the draw on my bear better so i passed them over. PSE is the brand that my new bow is- though im using it for target shooting. they do have hunting setups. the carbon air is small and light, and the stinger models are as well. hoyt has similar hunting models as well that are small and lightweight. never shot a hoyt though. Elite bows are pretty awesome, but they tend to be on the larger side, though they are really lightweight and really smooth to draw so people do hunt with them. it all depends on what your price point is and what features you really want to have included. i could technically hunt with my PSE, but i'd prefer my bear just because i prefer the smaller size and weight for hunting situations.

6E5F7DE1-6CF9-4B2A-A32C-F69E5CBF7536_zps

(aiming at 20 yards, not the bale)

D67D1F69-3949-47A3-B5F7-C36BCB77D1A2_zps

F2D00CAF-9874-4781-A502-5D83EF68F344_zps

162196CC-B54B-4D68-A534-329B8B4EA838_zps

Thanks for the great response. I need to do some googling now. :)

i have four channels on my dosing pump. considering putting mag on the third, as ca and alk are 1 and 2.

My doser has three channels, and I use the third for Mg. It's worth it. I wish I had 4 though. I'd dose Acro Power or some other amino supplement. Right now, I just pour some in whenever I think about it.

• Like 1

So, I've noticed a ton of growth in the last few days. My idaho grape from gena is getting so big it's touching my starburst cap- this happened within 24 hours. Should I be worried about them touching?

Also my GSP is starting to encrust the plug on the jack-o-lantern coral, and I'll have to cut that. razor blade shopping, here I come? GSP always grows fast though, so I'm not totally surprised.

I've had to move the MP40 around the side again to herd the RFA back away from the slimer it started to touch yesterday. this thing is such a pain in the neck, i'm about to just start trying to kill it. Obviously I'd rather peel it off and trade it in/sell it, but that's difficult with all the cracks and crannies I have in the rock it's attached to. Every time I touch it, it shrinks back into a hole and i can't reach it, let alone try to peel it off.

Try surrounding it by rubble so that you can easily (or more easily atleast) lift it straight up and out of the tank. Make a full on circle around it if you need to
thecoralbeauty

Thanks for the great response. I need to do some googling now. :)

and google a local archery shop while you're at it- the best thing you can do is go find a place with people you click with and can help walk you through the process of finding a setup you love. most places will let you try a bunch of different bows, and if not- cabela's for sure lets you try out at least what they have in stock. :)

Try surrounding it by rubble so that you can easily (or more easily atleast) lift it straight up and out of the tank. Make a full on circle around it if you need to

unfortunatley it's on my top rock with my SPS, so that's not entirely possible :(

My doser has three channels, and I use the third for Mg. It's worth it. I wish I had 4 though. I'd dose Acro Power or some other amino supplement. Right now, I just pour some in whenever I think about it.

that's an idea but i use reef energy and it has to be refrigerated.

• Like 1

I would dilute the Amino acids if you intend to use it with a doser. I dosed for 2 weeks with a precise measurement and a doser and it was a bit much.

• Like 2

and google a local archery shop while you're at it- the best thing you can do is go find a place with people you click with and can help walk you through the process of finding a setup you love. most places will let you try a bunch of different bows, and if not- cabela's for sure lets you try out at least what they have in stock. :)

Oh this is very helpful advice. I was wondering how I would know what kind of bow I wanted without having to actually buy it and try it. Granted, I'm not going hunting, so I won't end up needing anything crazy anyways.

Also, where is this anthrax? I can't find it in this thread.

• Like 3
thecoralbeauty

Oh this is very helpful advice. I was wondering how I would know what kind of bow I wanted without having to actually buy it and try it. Granted, I'm not going hunting, so I won't end up needing anything crazy anyways.

Also, where is this anthrax? I can't find it in this thread.

actually the opposite- "bowhunter" class at competitions and leagues means you can't have any glass on your sight (think scope) and your stabilizers have to be smaller than 12 inches- so it's like the opposite of fancy. "unlimited class" usually ends up with all the bells and whistles but are usually nicer setups in terms of comfort if youre just target shooting- you can't hunt with those bows, legally or practically. sounds like you might be good to go with a "ready to hunt" or "ready to shoot" bow. :)

:) i'm excited to see what you come up with!

More non-tank updates:

Dendrobiums "parade" and "love memory:

70995D3D-D96B-4E81-8BC0-EB9F2A9D6D3F_zps

Daisy when we won the super bowl: "did we really do it, mom??"

88C44494-87B7-4115-9C86-383B0027EAB1_zps

Emma and Grace:

79511DDB-227C-4DBC-8DC4-BA8D1EA13559_zps

3D shooting setup- shots from .5 to 40 yards: i scored better than i thought i would for my first time in a league!

B7DFA89A-EA5D-4C38-8028-673BCB81515A_zps

I swear i'll get some tank updates soon. Waiting on a piece of blue polyp stylo tomorrow first...

• Like 2

I was thinking I'm just going to get a recurve, a Martin or something. I need to do more research on what that actually entails and the price points involved. That will help. I really just want to shoot targets, don't care about competing or anything like that.

• Like 1
thecoralbeauty

I was thinking I'm just going to get a recurve, a Martin or something. I need to do more research on what that actually entails and the price points involved. That will help. I really just want to shoot targets, don't care about competing or anything like that.

heard good things about hoyt and pse recurves as well, but i shoot compound so i have no idea what any of those are like- or prices or anything. let me know what you decide! I'll be curious to learn with you as well.

heard good things about hoyt and pse recurves as well, but i shoot compound so i have no idea what any of those are like- or prices or anything. let me know what you decide! I'll be curious to learn with you as well.

Hoyts are like 800 bucks, at least the recurves I saw from them. Very nice, but whoa mama $$$. Haven't seen much about PSE, but I'll look into those. What is your draw weight and what kind of bow draw do you use?

• thecoralbeauty changed the title to Anthrax & Gangs! *mimosa clams are here*