Innovative Marine Aquariums

thecoralbeauty

I've been thinking hard about the salt mixture. i've been running fine in IO and it's mixing an alk around 9 pretty consistently. i think for the time being, i'll stick to it. it's cheap, and honestly my tank has so much maturing to do at this point anyway that even if i had the BEST salt ever, I'm not sure it would really have much to do with the results immediately as just time and consistency while this continues to establish itself. this tank is about 2 months old. i'll probably try out the bright well salt when I'm closer to 6-8 months and feel that it might be worth the boost. :)

Easy solution... stop doing water changes. Bam... problem solved!

• Like 1
thecoralbeauty

Very pretty Morgan. I can see a little maturing already.

i hope so! i was comparing photos from last year in the 20 and my frags now... and there is definitely growth!

Holy Disco Batman! :lol:

(I know, mine looks like that in photos sometimes too ;) )

i know. i think the non-diatom-y sand really accentuates it, doncha think??

• Like 2
thecoralbeauty

UGH! Between you with the clams and rare reef with their gold hammers.....

too bad there's a snow storm. and I didn't get a snow day out of it today... maybe tomorrow.

thecoralbeauty

So. I did a 20% water change last night after pruning out the xenias from my display. Talk about an awful smell. Dish soap did a pretty good job of taking it out of my skin, but I had to febreeze the whole room before it stopped smelling like low tide... .

Fed the fuge:

6F107A0E-8F03-4BC0-BDDA-944A277C1004_zps

In a Non- tank update:

I was asked to be on staff as a shooter at the range- essentially to compete in tournaments and eventually be able to help out with other things around the shop as I learn more and more. For example, I re-strung my own bow the other day, which was cool. Here's the new bow: (The other I will save for hunting)

85DC21DF-5E0B-4901-BBDF-8556E2B69F55_zps

Here they are together- you can see the new one is quite a bit bigger:

5162FFF7-462E-4EF7-AE97-815AC54D5883_zps

But, it's taken some getting used to:

A12A8AB0-0F81-49FE-9076-B8230C5B5C7A_zps

Sighting the brand new sight in:

AAA8815B-DB88-4B2D-BB6B-4D8CDA5AC886_zps

559EAE18-E64F-4925-8DF4-E9C4A7D0E925_zps

And orchids:

Third spike with this guy since last august:

F5E1ECD6-13C0-423F-AB8D-D5717FD78F35_zps

Yellow Bird:

DB3E965C-A477-4485-A5BE-B3E367412F36_zps

Parade:

DA2BD62F-2F50-427D-8B6F-38513CC3702C_zps

Vanda rescued from Safeway, of all places:

89B7CE1A-9992-49EC-9679-32D5E8B96D45_zps

• Like 8

So. I did a 20% water change last night after pruning out the xenias from my display. Talk about an awful smell. Dish soap did a pretty good job of taking it out of my skin, but I had to febreeze the whole room before it stopped smelling like low tide... .

Fed the fuge:

6F107A0E-8F03-4BC0-BDDA-944A277C1004_zps

In a Non- tank update:

I was asked to be on staff as a shooter at the range- essentially to compete in tournaments and eventually be able to help out with other things around the shop as I learn more and more. For example, I re-strung my own bow the other day, which was cool. Here's the new bow: (The other I will save for hunting)

85DC21DF-5E0B-4901-BBDF-8556E2B69F55_zps

Here they are together- you can see the new one is quite a bit bigger:

5162FFF7-462E-4EF7-AE97-815AC54D5883_zps

But, it's taken some getting used to:

A12A8AB0-0F81-49FE-9076-B8230C5B5C7A_zps

Sighting the brand new sight in:

AAA8815B-DB88-4B2D-BB6B-4D8CDA5AC886_zps

559EAE18-E64F-4925-8DF4-E9C4A7D0E925_zps

And orchids:

Third spike with this guy since last august:

F5E1ECD6-13C0-423F-AB8D-D5717FD78F35_zps

Yellow Bird:

DB3E965C-A477-4485-A5BE-B3E367412F36_zps

Parade:

DA2BD62F-2F50-427D-8B6F-38513CC3702C_zps

Vanda rescued from Safeway, of all places:

89B7CE1A-9992-49EC-9679-32D5E8B96D45_zps

:wub: to all the above
  • Like 3
thecoralbeauty

Oh! Possibly the best update ever- finally got the dang RFA to move. I stuck the MP40 right on it and it walked down out of it's hole overnight. FINALLY. I kept the mp40 in the same place while I'm at work today- I'm hoping I'll be able to keep it in it's own little box thing so I can trade it in this weekend. I don't like corals that walk around on their own. haha!

• Like 2

Oh! Possibly the best update ever- finally got the dang RFA to move. I stuck the MP40 right on it and it walked down out of it's hole overnight. FINALLY. I kept the mp40 in the same place while I'm at work today- I'm hoping I'll be able to keep it in it's own little box thing so I can trade it in this weekend. I don't like corals that walk around on their own. haha!

RFA seems to mean Really Friggin Annoying lol :P
  • Like 1

:wub: to all the above

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Edit: thought maybe it was a different tank. Somehow I glanced over the fuge feeding. Everything looks awesome!

• Like 2
thecoralbeauty

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Edit: thought maybe it was a different tank. Somehow I glanced over the fuge feeding. Everything looks awesome!

thank you!

Those orchids are beautiful!!

I used to have a few but I got lazy with care and they all died. :(

oh no! :( usually people drown them. i think thats why they work for me- i can neglect them because they like being dry.

RFA seems to mean Really Friggin Annoying lol :P

basically.

thank you!

oh no! :( usually people drown them. i think thats why they work for me- i can neglect them because they like being dry.

basically.

I have an orchid growing in my chameleon enclosure,pretty little plants for sure.
  • Like 1
thecoralbeauty

Trying to figure out the sweet spot with my big blue Vanda. careful line between watering just enough and too much. those orchids love humidity and bright light. light we have in colorado. humidity, not so much. i've got my humidifier cranked up but with the heater on.... its not like it makes much of a dent.

The RFA moved. (FINALLY!!!) and while I still can't get it out- the new spot is fine. hope he stays put!

snow day today. it was so nice to sleep in.

• thecoralbeauty changed the title to Anthrax & Gangs! *mimosa clams are here*