Cultivated Reef

Justin Fox's Fluval Edge 2 - New Video Page 15!

justinfox

floating.jpg

I put in a big order for frags from Fragalicious and luckily I could acclimatise them all at the same time in my massive salt water drum (which is heated to the same temp as the tank).

zoas.jpg

The last time I bought frags off these guys the zoas took weeks to open, this time around they started opening straight away, which suggests my water quality is awesome now!

hammers.jpg

Hammer island! I have 9 hammer coral pieces all up now! Crazy!

duncan.jpg

I impulse bought this duncan (it’s still opening up). Different colours to the usual. I had placed him on the left, and he looked perfect there, but the torch started stinging him so I’ve had to move him over to the right for now.

backcorner.jpg

I’ve got a fair few frags on the sand bed for now until I find a better place to put them. Note the leather is coming back too now that it’s not touching the aggressive torch corals.

fts_august_2015.jpg

Top down shot.

Any tips for keeping hammers (and euphyllia in general) happy?

You hammers are nice and puffy while mine look like below. I can never figure out if that means they want more or less flow...

19667007793_7dff304421.jpg

hammers.jpg

Hammer island! I have 9 hammer coral pieces all up now! Crazy!

:wub::wub::wub:

That is one of the things I like about the hammers and frogspawn Euphyllia's also, the way they clump together looks stunning. While I do like hammer corals also (would love a nice gold one) they are the more aggressive of the 3 and if your not careful they can deal some serious damage to close by corals. I'd like to build up a nice collection on a small island :).

I always thought torches were the meanest of the three.

Woah nice!

I was sold on hammers after I saw the "hammer heaven" tank and video on Neill's site.

Really love the shape too.

I am not so fond of sps like acropora, just don't like the branchy looks. But it seems everybody goes for them.

Will see what I finally end up with. Have no idea yet which corals like each other and which don't.

And I am amazed by the speed you are putting new things in there. Never had thought so much corals fit into the edge... ?

• Like 1

Any tips for keeping hammers (and euphyllia in general) happy?

You hammers are nice and puffy while mine look like below. I can never figure out if that means they want more or less flow...

Not really, but I can tell you what I've learned so far; my first hammer went in way too early. It was my first coral and my tank was still cycling. I put it in my tank without much thought as I was in a rush to go out. When I'd gotten back home later that night I noticed one head was in direct flow and just wouldn't open up (the other heads did). I eventually moved that hammer so that none of the heads were in direct flow, but that one head just wouldn't open up completely. It stayed alive for a good 2-3 weeks but never opened fully, then one day it just turned to mush and died off (the rest of the heads on the same coral are doing well today).

My hammers are directly under the light and I've set my MP10 at only 30% (I don't target feed my corals). The flow isn't strong at all but the lighting is. I think they like to be next to each other?! I have noticed that when they're able to touch each other they tend to get super fluffy, when they are mounted alone they don't get anywhere near as big. Interesting, huh?!

PS: Xenia still looks ratty in my tank, but damn the hammers and the torch corals especially are doing so well. I've gotten to a stage with the tank now that I know 100% for sure that any hammer I buy will look even more amazing in my tank than at the fish store (expand bigger). It's a good feeling!

:wub::wub::wub:

Yeah the hammers aren't bothering anyone but damn the torches are hardcore! It literally sticks it's 'tentacles' on other corals, and the small star polyps next to it have receded too.

Woah nice!

I was sold on hammers after I saw the "hammer heaven" tank and video on Neill's site.

Really love the shape too.

I am not so fond of sps like acropora, just don't like the branchy looks. But it seems everybody goes for them.

Will see what I finally end up with. Have no idea yet which corals like each other and which don't.

And I am amazed by the speed you are putting new things in there. Never had thought so much corals fit into the edge... ?

That hammer heaven tank was owned (it's no longer) by a guy I know (who's a wicked photographer!). It was a massive inspiration for me, still is. I do love SPS though and would love to do an SPS tank again one day.

In regards to which corals like and don't like each other. There's plenty of coral profile web pages around which will usually let you know what works with what. I didn't intend to get so mixed with this tank. Eventually I might have to remove the leather as well as the duncan (so I can buy more torches and hammers!).

And yeah! Space is getting tight!!! I'm not done yet though... LOL!

PS: Here's a nod to Hammer Heaven:

And also an inspiration to me is having just one coral in a tank on display, much like a plant (I love this).

ecoreef-zero-4.jpg

ecoreef-zero-5.jpg

Ecoreef Zero

• Like 4

That is actually what I was supposed to say, typo :S. Yes, torches are the most aggressive of the 3.

PS: Found one of 3 nassarius snails dead this morning, with one of my shrimps eating away at it. 3 of them are 2 too many for a tank this size me thinks. All 3 come out of the sand bed when I feed the tank and I think they're absolutely starving for food. I've ordered some sinking pellets which should keep the other 2 happy. Deaths always suck, they're such awesome creatures!

HarryPotter

I love the Ecoreef Zero too. When I get enough space, I think I'm going to do a series of three with a pendant light for each.

What corals? :)

Its interesting he started with LR and other critters and slowly phased them out. I wonder if you can just start with some LR in a media basket and have no cycle whatsoever.

What corals? :)

Its interesting he started with LR and other critters and slowly phased them out. I wonder if you can just start with some LR in a media basket and have no cycle whatsoever.

Elegance, Bubble, and Trachy.

Those barebottoms look stunning. Great for photos.

On the other hand I find it a bit sad that there is nothing of the natural environment.

But still, very pleasing to the eye. Perfect room decoration.

So I just pulled the trigger on these kids!

19687661753_3846c54239_b.jpg

I guess Mr. Tiger Blenny was not yet meant to be!

I'm super nervous, and excited! They're flying in right now from another state. I've got tracking on hand and hope they get to me in good health tomorrow!

• Like 9

Nice work!! Looks like a beautiful pair of clowns. You do realise what this means though right?
3months down the track you're going to want a fat anemone and you'll be researching Red Sea Reefer 350s.
You might as well skip that and pull the trigger on that tank for sale on MASA :)

Getting really itchy reading your journal, it's been 3 weeks and I'm still waiting for Ben to ship my light stands.... blardy. Rang em today and they said it will be next week. Not impressed. I'm tempted to ring up tomorrow, ask them to cancel my order and take my business to the boys at Aquaristic who had what I wanted in stock and were super helpful.

• Like 1

Nice work!! Looks like a beautiful pair of clowns. You do realise what this means though right?

3months down the track you're going to want a fat anemone and you'll be researching Red Sea Reefer 350s.

You might as well skip that and pull the trigger on that tank for sale on MASA :)

Getting really itchy reading your journal, it's been 3 weeks and I'm still waiting for Ben to ship my light stands.... blardy. Rang em today and they said it will be next week. Not impressed. I'm tempted to ring up tomorrow, ask them to cancel my order and take my business to the boys at Aquaristic who had what I wanted in stock and were super helpful.

HAHA! Yes I'm dreaming of another tank already!

And yeah it was a crazy hard wait (over a month) to get my hands on the MP10. Made it even harder to bear seeing it in stock in local fish stores. I'm sure you'll end up getting the goods though.

• Like 3
clowns.jpg

I usually get deliveries at around 11AM, but nope, nothing. I was in the middle of a shoot and contacted the seller to say the delivery still had not made it. A few minutes later the doorbell rang and it looks like I was the driver's last stop (poor fish have been on a plane overnight and in Sydney traffic all day!).

I didn't hesitate to pause my shoot. The fish come first! I unpacked the esky and found one very dead looking clownfish in one bag, and another barely moving in the other bag.

My heart sank.

The bags were freezing cold. I was immediately really pissed off with the seller for not doing more to keep the temperature up in the package (the one heat pack didn't do anything for the water temps). I contacted them to let them know of the situation and got a one line reply: "Clownfish are tough, just temperature acclimate well.".

I left both bags afloat for a good 40 minutes and amazingly one fish was swimming strong and the other much more dead looking fish was upright at the bottom of the bag. I put both of them into my little breeder box in the tank so that the shrimp (1 of which is almost 3 times the size of these crazy tiny little kids!) wouldn't eat them alive, and once the almost dead looking clownfish saw his mate he began swimming!

I knew clownfish were tough, but ####### wow!!!

PS: I've also spotted a crazy looking nudibranch hitchhiker this morning, will post a photo of that tomorrow! And in not so good news, it looks like another one of my nassarius snails is going to die overnight. It's sitting on the sand bed and not burying back into the sand. I assume that like the last one which died the other day it's completely starved of food as the shrimp just eat everything I throw in before it hits the bottom.

• Like 4

Sweet little clowns. Live Aquaria made me acclimate a dead fish one time, they too said temperatures will make fish play dead. In my case though, the fish was truly deadus duckus.

Sinking pellets, especially algae wafers will be good for the snails.

• Like 1

HAHA! Yes I'm dreaming of another tank already!

Noooo. I need some fellow edge reefer / role model. People who oversee all the huge downsides of the edge are rare these days ?

And quite the clown drama here. Glad they made it so far.

Where did you fit that breeder box?

• Like 1