Innovative Marine Aquariums

Justin Fox's Fluval Edge 2 - New Video Page 15!

justinfox

Yeah I love it hey! It's brilliant and I made sure I got the most powerful version they offer. If I was to do it all over again I'd go for the Marine Pac 3 conversion!

I checked out the Marine Pac3 - it looks super cool, but it is only for the 12 gallon, and mine is a 6. Did you go for the standard 36 W, or the Cree 36 W? Trying to decide which way to go...

I checked out the Marine Pac3 - it looks super cool, but it is only for the 12 gallon, and mine is a 6. Did you go for the standard 36 W, or the Cree 36 W? Trying to decide which way to go...

Just the standard 36W! Would be plenty for the smaller edge me thinks!

• Like 1

Just the standard 36W! Would be plenty for the smaller edge me thinks!

Just pulled the trigger on the Cree 36 W automated one! They made me an offer I couldn't refuse. Looking forward to seeing the difference in the lighting. Unfortunately I'm away a lot the next few weeks, so I might have to wait until mid-September to set it up (don't want to install a new light, the bugger off for several days and not be able to monitor how the corals are doing)

• Like 2

Spectacular looking tank man. I've been a huge fan of Zen Garage for a while now - What a coincidence!

Cheers man! Small world!!! :) Will check out links to your threads!

Despite using dead rock I've still managed to get aiptasia!!! GRRRRR!!!

Found 2 very tiny ones, so small and one of them is quite hard to reach too (everything is hard to reach in a Fluval Edge!).

Will try boiling water in a syringe first, if that fails I'll go and buy some aiptasia x.

PS: Hammers are getting so damn huge and fluffy that they're budding each other off the rocks!!! I'll soon have to think about removing corals, specifically the leather and xenia too, which will bring the focus back to a euphyllia focussed tank.

Hi Justin! It's Phil. Your first tank was an inspiration for my setup, and after you contacted me about mine. I've since re-installed my sump and skimmer, and removed my canister which was put on temporarily, due to laziness haha. I've always wanted to get torches since we have plenty of nice gold ones in Australia, but I've been a little on the fence, since I heard they stung other euphyllia corals like Hammers.

Love the video and vibe!

• Like 1

Cheers all!!! Didn't put much effort into the video, lighting is more 50/50 too so I'll try to do a more blue light video at some point.

Hi Justin! It's Phil. Your first tank was an inspiration for my setup, and after you contacted me about mine. I've since re-installed my sump and skimmer, and removed my canister which was put on temporarily, due to laziness haha. I've always wanted to get torches since we have plenty of nice gold ones in Australia, but I've been a little on the fence, since I heard they stung other euphyllia corals like Hammers.

Love the video and vibe!

Phil! Can't wait to see what you do next!

Yeah I'll admit I'm really more into the way the torches look and move than the hammers. The hammers really are puffing up way beyond their little skeletons now and starting to out shade each other a little. The torches on the left and hammers are touching pretty much and I don't see either the hammers or the torches having an issue with almost touching, but the torches are really stinging the star polyps, which never really minded the hammers which tells me the torches are really much more aggressive than hammers.

So awesome, so hypnotic and vibrant in person too! Dat flow... Mmmm... Might have to bump up the MP10 on the shopping list!! Love it bro, can't wait to start adding torches and hammers for extra movement in mine!

• Like 1

Woke up extra early as I'm set for some stunt driving today as a part of The Fast and the Furious DVD release campaign (yew!). I had a quick glance at the tank and only noticed one clown.

PANIC!

I checked all corals hoping that one clown might have started sleeping in one, nope, checked the rock work with a torch, nope. OK this is NOT looking good. I took the hood off, surely a fish can't jump out of a Fluval Edge, right?! WRONG!

There it was, at the very bottom of the black plastic chamber that runs along the back of the tank. The hang on back filter is almost the full width of the opening, it only has 2 very small 1inch gaps on either end of it, and the tiny clown managed to jump out of one of these edges!!!

:(

On closer inspection it doesn't look like anything has attacked the fish, but the dead fish sure looked skinny, but that could be because she was pretty dried out? I say she because it was the bigger one that jumped, and it was the bigger one who almost died on delivery and slower to eat too (both were eating like pigs but the past few days!). Man she's had a tough life! So sad.

I'm going to work on making sure there are no gaps in the tank later this afternoon as I can't have that happen again. Do I get another clownfish? I'd like to, not a designer one though. I might try to pair this guy up with another ocellaris, but he's so small I'd have to pair him up with a bigger one, not sure that would be an issue, or not? Any advice appreciated.

142937d1402796854-fluval-edge-aquarium-k

Picture of the filter setup, not my picture, but you can see the gaps on either end of the filter, and these gaps are usually covered up when you close the top of the Fluval Edge by swinging down the LED light. The LED light's arms then cover this gap (but I have upgraded my LED unit and have gaps there now).

• Like 1

So sorry about the clown Justin, I've never really had much luck with clowns myself. When it comes to pairing clowns, particularly small, juvenile ones it is always best to source a another small juvenile. This way they will establish their own dominance between them and one of the Juvenile males will transition into a female. Adding a larger, mature female will most likely result in the death of the smaller juvenile as the aggression she displays as a sign of dominance will probably be too much for the little guy, particularly in a smaller tank like that where he has no chance to hide. I have had mixed results with pairing clowns after the death of one of the pair but have always found the most success with adding a juvenile if the remaining clown is still juvenile.

• Like 1

Too bad about the fish. Those are narrow gaps for sure. I'm amazed one made it down there.

In exciting news for me, my new light shipped today! I'll let you know how it works out.

• Like 1

Cheers guys. I did a bit of research and it's pretty confusing out there. I dropped in to Aquaristic today and picked up a standard ocellaris. I chose one that wasn't too big, but not quite as tiny as my little DaVinci either. I also got one with interesting stripes and strong black markings, even then she's nowhere near as colourful as my little DaVinci but she's gorgeous and amazingly they're both get along perfectly so far (only been together for 2-3hrs but they're hanging out together nicely!).

protection.jpg

Both gaps now blocked!!! Still so upsetting to lose one of the DaVinci's because of this little gap.

newgirl.jpg

The new girl (below).

• Like 5

That is a very nice misbar clown. I have always found the misbars to be more interesting due to the partially complete pattern of their stripes. My original female clown had very similar markings with only half of her tail stripe being complete.

• Like 1